Tournaments this week

SERENA Retiring After USO?

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Joylan1
Junior
Junior
Re: SERENA Retiring After USO?

Post by Joylan1 » Aug Wed 17, 2022 10:08 am

Serena Williams and Emma Raducanu are meant to face off in a blockbuster first round match in Cincinnati. It was expected that the encounter would take place on Monday. However, according to well-known and respected sports presenter Marcus Bickland, the match was rescheduled on Tuesday because of some injury concerns for Serena.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tennistoni ... njury/amp/

serenarulz09
Senior
Senior

Post by serenarulz09 » Aug Wed 17, 2022 3:15 pm

Joylan this makes so much sense. I lost out over 400 on tickets and a hotel for Monday night(was only going for Serena) and I emailed the tournament several times. I finally got a reply that they had to push it back due to an scheduling issue with one of the players, so I figured it was probably Serena. However, since the tournament promised Monday night they should have made her default. How many times has Serena let her fans down like this in her career? I didn’t think she looked injured at all yesterday, but she was visibly upset as she was talking and picking at her strings a lot. It was very rude how she left the court and they had it set up for her to talk to her fans. That is a slap in the face and im kind of glad I wasn’t there now. I do not think she needs to go play at the Open she should let this be it. I’ve got a feeling someone else might make her look ever worse than last night and it will be an unseeded player on top of that. She isn’t fit and hasn’t been training in a year so what does she expect?

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Wed 17, 2022 4:11 pm

Lots of cancelled and walkover matches.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Wed 17, 2022 4:13 pm

Suddenly, Emma finds her nothing-to-lose go-for-broke game against veterans, yet even a few days ago, she was losing per usual. What changed since last week? Maybe the realization that if she lost early here and at the USO, she'll drop out of the top 100.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Aug Wed 17, 2022 4:43 pm

Grosse, I guess you are a bit disappointed that Emma played even better today…. There goes your theory that they only peak against Serena…

As for your reference to low UEs vs Serena : the latter did not give Emma a chance to hit UEs as she hit them herself too soon all the time… 19 in total, that is almost giving away a set.

Emma is a decent player, but still a teenager who won a slam too soon within the context of developing her career and associated expectations. The younger you are, the bigger the dip after a first slam win, so it seems.
Even a more seasoned player like Rybakina whose rise in the rankings was more logical, had a bit of a dip over the summer after winning Wimbledon. But that was a good win today in R2 vs Muguruza.
So Emma will be just fine in 2-3 years in her early 20ties. Until then it will be ups and downs, like any other player of her age.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Thu 18, 2022 7:59 pm

No veteran, no victory.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Aug Fri 19, 2022 10:32 am

Grossefavourite wrote:
Aug Thu 18, 2022 7:59 pm
No veteran, no victory.
Correct, this teenager did not meet a veteran this time, but a fit/young top10 player. The outcome was never in doubt in my mind. The veterans made Emma look good, but really, they gifted it to her.

Let us see the results of the veterans at the US open when they face a fit, young top10. Anything better than a 6-4 7-5 loss would be better than Emma.
Willing to put money on it? :-)
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Wed 24, 2022 10:11 am

Kerber pregnant, out of USO.