2022 Wimby Ladies Main Draw

All Tennis, All the Time
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
Re: 2022 Wimby Ladies Main Draw

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Wed 06, 2022 2:30 pm

Ostapenko, LOL:

“I just made mistakes. She just collected all my mistakes, unforced errors, and that’s how she won today,” she said.

“I thought it was my match, I had to win it, and she got just so lucky in some moments so she could come back. I felt I was the player who had to win this match today.”

Ostapenko also addressed her behaviour following her defeat, blaming it on “emotion”.

“I mean, it’s always annoying to lose such a match, especially when you know you were a better player and you were a favourite in this match,” she added.

“So of course I had emotion. I’m a human, and it’s normal. I’m not going to let it go and say, ‘it’s fine, I lost, and it’s fine’.

“No, it’s not fine. Obviously I’m an emotional player. I hate losing, as I said before, because I’m such a competitive person.

“So I think it’s normal. I mean, of course maybe I shouldn’t have done this, but it’s easy to say from the outside, when you are not in my place, it’s easy to judge.”

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Thu 07, 2022 12:58 am

Reminds me of another sore loser after losing to the reigning #1 Henin in a slam QF: “She hit a lot of lucky shots”…
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Thu 07, 2022 1:01 am

Meanwhile: a great line-up for the SF today: OK, Maria is the odd one out, but the 3 others are there for a reason. Jabeur vs any of the two other ones is a final I will definitely watch.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Jul Sat 09, 2022 10:34 am

Congratulations to Elena on her title today and to Ons on reaching the final. A lot of room to grow for Elena in her game. Net game needs a ton of work, serving up the T and redirecting her ground game, for her forehand is constantly returned crosscourt. Potentially, a top-five player, maybe even numero uno given her game and weapons. Only 23 and still has time. Nevertheless, a big title for her in young career.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Sat 09, 2022 11:12 am

rex wrote:
Jul Sat 09, 2022 10:34 am
Congratulations to Elena on her title today and to Ons on reaching the final. A lot of room to grow for Elena in game. Net game needs a ton of work, serving up the T and redirecting her ground game, for her forehand is constantly returned crosscourt. Potentially, a top-five player, maybe even numero uno given her game and weapons. Only 23 and still has time. Nevertheless, a big title for her in young career.
A player with so many issues would never win the men's Wimbledon final. Nevertheless, didn't see Jabeur winning.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Sat 09, 2022 11:32 am

Rybakina: "It's true, I did not expect to be in the second week of a Grand Slam at Wimbledon. To be a winner is just amazing. I don't have the words to say how happy I am."

"Elena stole my title but it's ok!"
"I love this tournament so much and I feel really sad, but I'm trying to inspire many generations from my country. I hope they are listening."

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Sat 09, 2022 11:34 am

Started posting here since 2011,and since then stuck out my neck for 3 female teenagers when they were not even in top 200, to claim that they were future top 10 and slam winners: Benicia, Kasatkina and Rybakina. The first 2 became top 10 at some point, and Rybakina won a slam. So a very happy tennis fan here who had a great afternoon.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Sat 09, 2022 2:41 pm

Does Rybakina have two passports, one Kazakh and one Russian?

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Sat 09, 2022 2:49 pm

Graveller wrote:
Jul Sat 09, 2022 11:34 am
Started posting here since 2011,and since then stuck out my neck for 3 female teenagers when they were not even in top 200, to claim that they were future top 10 and slam winners: Benicia, Kasatkina and Rybakina. The first 2 became top 10 at some point, and Rybakina won a slam. So a very happy tennis fan here who had a great afternoon.
Dubious.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Sat 09, 2022 5:28 pm

What is dubious? I can’t help it that I obviously know enough about this sport to see when a junior has the skills to make it to the top… I cannot remember you ever pointing us towards a new, unknown player that is worth watching.