The Chicago 125k......

All Tennis, All the Time
Post Reply New Topic
rex
Commish
Commish
The Chicago 125k......

Post by rex » Aug Mon 16, 2021 11:28 am

Unable to post the draw here for the WTA site is downright awful (the events starts today but there are no draws for both qualies and the maindraw). Yet, per "Live Score" the lineup for this event features:

Ana Konjuh, Mona Barthel, Sara Errani, Anisimova, Alison VanUtyvanck, A. Li, Ocean Dodin, Coco Vandeweghe, Clara Tauson (the Denmark up-and-comer), Misaki Doi, H. Baptiste, Osuigwe, Diaz and Brengle amongst others. Very good lineup for a 125k.

Ace,

Aren't you in the Chicagoland area? I am, but in the Burbs. However, the location for the event is in a rough part of town (53rd and State st.). They have parking but very little bleachers, if any. Yet, I'm seriously considering attending this event, even tho' the forecast is rain for Tue-Thu. This place also serves as a tennis academy with indoor courts. So, if matches are rained out, likely they would move the matches indoors, I would think.

I have been longing for Chi town to get professional tennis as the Virginia Slims was held here some decades back during the Evert/Nav era. Currently, this lineup features 2 of my faves (Konjuh and Mona), plus respectable players like Tauson, Doi, Anisimova, Baptiste and Alison. Yet, this same location which is scheduled to hold a 250k event (next week) and a 500k event in late September after the USO. Nevertheless, I believe I'll attend Konjuh's, Mona's and Tauson's matches, but if they conflict with matches I may want to see in Cincinnati, which has a very competitive draw on paper, I'll have to see.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Chicago 125k......

Post by Ace2Ace » Aug Mon 16, 2021 1:48 pm

Oh yeah... I am about 2 hours away.
Last time I watched tennis in Chicago what 200 years ago, Jankovic vs Townsends exhibition(Chicago State University, Jones Convocation Center) :)
I am out of State until next week. Would have attended at least the Semis and Final.
I thank the folks who are trying to bring tennis in Chicago. It's shame we have to go L.A, Cincy or the South to see any action.

rex
Commish
Commish

Re: The Chicago 125k......

Post by rex » Aug Mon 16, 2021 3:59 pm

Agreed, I'm grateful for Chicago's attempt to attract pro tennis here, as well. Three events this year is a very good attempt. Yet, facilities are in need of an upgrade and the lakefront is already loaded. We'll see how this unfolds over the next few years....

From the "Live Score" website it appears Konjuh is not playing 'til Wednesday. So, that'll be my lst day to attend. Mona has withdrawn