Tournaments this week

WTA Cincy Draw and Results

All Tennis, All the Time
Graveller
Commish
Commish
Re: WTA Cincy Draw and Results

Post by Graveller » Aug Sat 17, 2019 11:21 am

Kuzzy without a problem into the final; Did not see that one coming...
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Aug Sat 17, 2019 11:24 am

Barty's cheap slice backhand got exposed the way I always thought people should handle that kind of old games. Steffi retired long ago. Never liked her backhand slice 1 bit.
Kuzzy sat on it and neutralized it. And Barty had no plan B. Thanks Barty for the SF points in the PredictionGame. I have to check; was I the only one to pick Kuzzy???

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Aug Sat 17, 2019 11:36 am

No, you were not the only one; 4 people picked her.

I wondered f Kenin can do the double...
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Aug Sat 17, 2019 11:39 am

Dang!!!! Who are those crazy people not going for Barty??? lol lol lol..
For the next match, Rex is the only that selected Keys. Everyone else put their money on Kenin. :)

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Aug Sat 17, 2019 11:42 am

Kuzzy's been playing smart tennis this week. She used to blast balls from the back, making so many useless unforced errors. In this tournament, she's been very strategic, keeping things very simple. And it's working.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Sat 17, 2019 4:20 pm

Keys v. Kuznetsova. Isn't exactly the organizers' dream match.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Aug Sat 17, 2019 4:24 pm

yes... that's a great final. First time watching Keys play a match where she is not beating herself with a ton of silly Unforced errors.
Well played Miss Keys. Kenin never had a real chance. Keys was in charge all match long.
For this Final, I really like both to win. They both plays very well in their SF matches.
So good luck to whoever comes on top.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Aug Sat 17, 2019 4:36 pm

Final:

Svetlana Kuznetsova

-------- Bottom Half --------

Madison Keys [16]

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Aug Sat 17, 2019 5:46 pm

Indeed, the Madison/Sofia match was nice, quite competitive. However, I was looking forward to Madison playing Naomi, rather than Sofia, for I was liking how Madison was playing here in Cincy and wanted to see her go at Naomi, who has the power to contend with her, tho' Sofia's game overall is better than Naomi's. Sofia doesn't have the power to beat either player (Madison's stats were 14 aces, 41 winners to 15, offset by 21 donations to 13), if those players are not gifting recklessly, but what I like about Sofia is that she doesn't take points off, she plays every point to the nth degree, no carelessness, recklessness nor sloppiness in her attitude to play or execute her game. Sofia's game is very disciplined; she's about business "always"..... She makes an error, she tucks it away and is right back at you ready to play the next point. However, given how Madison was competing here in Cincy I had no doubt that she would dismiss Sofia, for she doesn't have the weaponry (serve and groundstrokes) to dictate as effectively as Madison, for Madison should have won the lst 6-3, but imploded on serve to finish, where she had been dominating her service games up to that point. Madison got sloppy to start the 2nd, down 1-3, then on serve fired off 3 straight aces to seal her service game, promptly broke Kenin to tie, then went on to finish, tho' it wasn't easy for Sofia competes as always to the end. Nice match and house to see this semi for the ladies.

Despite Svetlana's very good run here at Cincy and good on the TD to give her a WC, for she was dissed by the TD at the Citi Open, screwed out of defending her title, not by the visa debacle, but by them closing that maindraw off "ere" finalizing qualies after she had gotten her visa on the 26th for an event starting on the 29th, just to pimp a 15 year old, I don't see her besting Madison tomorrow. Not only is Madison's power (lst serve is doing massive damage, her ground game dictating from either side) more than enough to win, but her net play has been superb and her court coverage is more than decent, for she ate up Sofia's droppers today, like Venus in her prime. I believe Svetlana craftiness will be defended well by Madison tomorrow and won't have the weaponry to beat Madison otherwise, "if" Madison continues this form tomorrow, for you never know with these girls today, imploding out of nowhere....

Yet, if Svetlana wins tomorrow by competition, so be it. I've always liked Svetlana and thought she has underachieved in her career. However, she should have lost her match to Karolina in the quarters, for Karolina was dominating and dictating the match up to that point in the 2nd set, holding serve easy, but didn't hold serve in her service game to finish the match, then subsequently lost the breaker and the 3rd set. Physically, at age 34 she's in "great shape", toned to the nth degree and tis good to see her have this run at this Premier 5 for the ladies.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Sun 18, 2019 9:49 am

Madison has never lost to Kuz but it's been 3 years since they've last played each other and they've never played in a final. Keys as we know can self-destruct at critical junctures.