All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
TOMIC'S Fine: Fair or Unfair?

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Sun 07, 2019 6:23 pm

DJOKOVIC, KYRGIOS, STEPHENS QUESTION SIZE OF TOMIC'S WIMBLEDON FINE

LONDON—Bernie Tomic is receiving backing from some fellow players, who say he should not have been fined all his first-round prize money at Wimbledon.

Tomic fell 6-2, 6-1, 6-4 to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in less than an hour and was fined $56,000 when the referee decided he had not performed up to the "required professional standard."

"That's touchy because they will do that with him and not with others, and I think it's a little bit too much," said Tsonga, also suggesting it detracted his own play. "It's like me was just here and I just won because they said he didn't play enough"

Tomic, 26, has frequently been accused of tanking during his career, and the tournament also fined him part of his prize money for not meeting the standard in 2017.

But Novak Djokovic and Nick Kyrgios argue Tomic is being scrutinized for his reputation, and his style of play. Both questioned the amount of the fine.

"Bernard definitely has a history of playing matches with less effort, let's call it that way," said Djokovic. But when you tell me now the score and what has happened, and I followed it a little bit the last few days, I don't think it's fair to take all his prize money away.

"If there is a fine, that's okay. If there is a judgment from the organization, the tournament, the referees office that he was not putting as much effort as he was supposed to, which I also understand. It's not nice for the crowd, the other players that maybe would want to be in the position to fight to get to the second round.

"I have to see obviously his behavior, movement on the court, how much effort he put in. He deserved his right to be in this tournament. He's a top 100 player. He's worked all year to be here. He deserves most of that prize money, I would guess."

Kyrgios also cited Tomic's style of play, saying, "I think people kind of when they watch Bernard, they just think because he moves a little slow, plays the game a little slower, he doesn't look maybe as engaged."

Kyrgios, who has had an up-and-down relationship with his fellow Australian, expressed concern for Tomic.

"He earned his right to be in the draw. He played the whole year. He's obviously winning enough to be at the most prestigious tournament in the world. To take all his prize money I think is outrageous," he said. "I just hope Bernard is all right."

A player's level of effort is also difficult to assess. "It's a very slippery slope," said Stephens. "And when you start doing that and being the judge of what happens.

Grand Slam events began enforcing the rule more strictly in the first round a couple of years ago, when players were allowed to keep half their first-round prize money if they withdrew. The move was to reduce the amount of injury retirements and poor performances from players who were playing just to collect the prize money.

French Open officials also fined Anna Tatishvili her first-round prize money for a 6-1, 6-0 defeat, saying she did not not meet professional standards.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: TOMIC'S Fine: Fair or Unfair?

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Thu 18, 2019 2:40 pm

WIMBLEDON, England — Anna Tatishvili’s tennis comeback looked merciless even before she took the court last month. After losing 19 months of her career to a persistent ankle injury, she returned at the French Open and learned that she had drawn an opponent nobody wanted to face in the first round: the No. 29 seed, Maria Sakkari, who led the women’s tour with 12 clay-court wins heading into the tournament.

It was no surprise then that Tatishvili lost badly, 6-0, 6-1. The shock came the next day when she went to collect her check for appearing in the first round.

She was directed to the head referee’s office, she said, and informed that her payment of 46,000 euros, or about $51,500, was being withheld because of her poor performance.

“They didn’t even say hi to me; they said, ‘Your account is frozen,’” said Tatishvili, a 29-year-old American. “They talked to me like I’m some kind of criminal or something. It was so disrespectful. I even cried.”

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Fri 19, 2019 6:46 am

I wonder if Serena got paid for her poor performance in the finals??

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Fri 19, 2019 1:55 pm

Tatishvili wins appeal of fine for performance

NEW YORK -- U.S. tennis player Anna Tatishvili will be awarded her French Open prize money.

The Grand Slam Board reversed its decision to fine her under its first-round performance rule. Tatishvili lost to 29th-seeded Maria Sakkari of Greece 6-0, 6-1 in Paris. Her earnings of about $50,000 were docked under the rule allowing fines of first-round checks if players do not "perform to a professional standard."

The rule, implemented in 2018, aims to deter injured players from entering tournaments to collect their full prize money and then retiring during their first match.

The board acknowledged this was the first fine in which a player completed the match. In the ruling disclosed Friday by Tatishvili's representatives, the board said it reviewed the match, noted Sakkari's comments and felt Tatishvili competed "professionally from the first to the very last point."

Tatishvili was once ranked as high as No. 50. She has had ankle operations and the French Open was her first tournament since October 2017.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Fri 19, 2019 2:23 pm

djmm1962 wrote:
Jul Fri 19, 2019 6:46 am
I wonder if Serena got paid for her poor performance in the finals??
Good question. Someone should investigate that performance.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Fri 19, 2019 8:05 pm

This rule could be a very detrimental ~ Good intentions, but in the hands of "a board"!!

Who are the board members??

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Sat 20, 2019 11:41 am

Bernard Tomic, who was fined all of his prize money — 45,000 pounds, or $56,600 — after a listless 6-2, 6-1, 6-4 defeat against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the first round of Wimbledon this month, also appealed, but he received only a meager concession from Babcock. Tomic, 26, will get 25 percent of his prize money back two years from now, if he can play eight Grand Slam events without receiving a single code violation.

Unlike Tatishvili, Tomic had not been injured, and the Wimbledon fine most likely took into consideration his history of periodically delivering underwhelming performances.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Mon 22, 2019 7:39 am

He'll receive 25% two years from now after competing in eight slam events without a single code violation?? Wow, that's steep!!