Tournaments this week

SIMONA, to be Wimby Champ 2019!

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
SIMONA, to be Wimby Champ 2019!

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Thu 11, 2019 10:16 am

Sadly, I foresee this result as Ree has yet to come close to winning a set in her GS finals since her return. Although the Ancient Greeks warn against suffering in anticipation of a painful event, suffer I will.

Onto the USO where we no doubt will relive the drama from last year.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: SIMONA, Wimby Champ 2019!

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Thu 11, 2019 10:20 am

I think Serena has this ~ It's her best chance yet!!

Go Ree :)

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Thu 11, 2019 10:23 am

djmm1962 wrote:
Jul Thu 11, 2019 10:20 am
I think Serena has this ~ It's her best chance yet!!

Go Ree :)
The hurdle is purely mental, I think. She seemed overwhelmed.

sekasi
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by sekasi » Jul Thu 11, 2019 10:39 am

Grossefavourite wrote:
Jul Thu 11, 2019 10:16 am
Sadly, I foresee this result as Ree has yet to come close to winning a set in her GS finals since her return. Although the Ancient Greeks warn against suffering in anticipation of a painful event, suffer I will.

Onto the USO where we no doubt will relive the drama from last year.
:lol: :lol:

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: SIMONA, to be Wimby Champ 2019!

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Thu 11, 2019 11:43 am

Wimbledon 2019: Simona Halep feels 'mentally stronger' for Serena Williams final

Simona Halep says she feels "mentally stronger" for the "big challenge" of facing Serena Williams in the Wimbledon final on Saturday.

Halep beat Elina Svitolina 6-1 6-3 to reach her maiden final at the All England Club, where she will meet seven-time champion Serena Williams.

The Romanian has won just one of her 10 meetings with American Williams, coming at the WTA Finals in 2014.

"I will believe that I have my chance to win against her," said Halep, 27.

"Of course, I respect a lot what she has done and what she's doing.

"But now I feel stronger mentally facing her. We will see what is going to happen. It's just a big challenge for me."

Seventh seed Halep - whose previous best finish at Wimbledon was reaching the 2014 semi-finals - wrapped up victory over Ukrainian eighth seed Svitolina in one hour 13 minutes.

"It is one of the best moments of my life," she told the BBC.

"I'm really excited but also nervous. I'm just trying to enjoy it as much as possible.

"It was not as easy as the score shows. I fought really hard, [Svitolina] is an amazing player and it's always tough to play against her."

On what has changed since 2014, she said: "I have more experience, I am positive on court and I am not giving up anymore. I have learnt many things in five years."

Halep and Svitolina, 24, had not met at a Grand Slam since the 2017 French Open but if the first game of their maiden grass meeting was anything to go by, it was going to be a lengthy affair.

Lasting almost 10 minutes, it featured two 23-shot rallies before Svitolina - who had held three break points - conceded the game off her backhand.

Halep converted her third break point to go 2-0 up with the following two games also going against the server.

At 4-1 down, Svitolina lost her serve once more as Halep - who hit 16 winners but also 12 unforced errors in the opener - went on to serve out the set with a forehand down the line on her sixth set point.

If she hadn't already, Halep demonstrated her desire to win in the second set, holding her first three service games to love before going a break up at 4-3.

And she was to finish on a break too, sealing match point on the second time of asking after Svitolina slammed a backhand into the net.

"I didn't take my chances which was disappointing. You want to play well, you want to make a statement that you are there for the fight," said Svitolina.

"Simona played unbelievably today. The score was a little bit of me making poor decisions and her playing unbelievable [tennis]."

Mytiwtiw

Post by Mytiwtiw » Jul Thu 11, 2019 10:48 pm

The hunt for the 24th going on forever 😃 if only ace2ace count backward she'll be counting in the zeros by now. Looking forward to Maria's NY Big D 👠👠👠👍

Mytiwtiw

Post by Mytiwtiw » Jul Sat 13, 2019 12:12 pm

When Simona or whoever played like Maria 👠 she could easily dominate Serena. Proof : 2004 Wimbledon finals, 2019 Wimbledon finals 👍👍👠😊

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Sat 13, 2019 2:33 pm

Mytiwtiw wrote:
Jul Sat 13, 2019 12:12 pm
When Simona or whoever played like Maria 👠 she could easily dominate Serena. Proof : 2004 Wimbledon finals, 2019 Wimbledon finals 👍👍👠😊
Yes, Maria has shot to beat Serena in a final. In the early rounds, no, but in the final, yes. if Serena doesn't sort out her mental prep.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Sat 13, 2019 2:36 pm

Serena is right, she needs to battle to a final in a non-GS to get that feeling of winning a title. She's entered in Toronto and Cincy, the max she wants to play on HC before the USO. The knee she says is ok but she's unsure how it'll respond to HCs.
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Jul Sat 13, 2019 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Sat 13, 2019 3:59 pm

Imo, that goes for many in the top 20; they need to play more. So many failed at Wimbledon, and guess what: almost none is bothered to play next week. Only Sevastova and Goerges will be the top20 players in action.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"