Lugano

All Tennis, All the Time
Post Reply New Topic
rex
Commish
Commish
Lugano

Post by rex » Apr Tue 09, 2019 12:53 pm

Antonia Lottner just disposed of Belinda Bencic, 7-5, 6-2. Recovered down 1-4 in the lst to tie at 4-all 'til Antonia broke BB then finished the lst set. It wasn't close in the 2nd as Antonia was dictating with her serve and ground game, frustrating BB ere the homies. Lottner is no scrub and she certainly isn't an ITF scrub, but she's never cracked the top-100 in her career at this point. Yet, she possesses top-30 skills, talent and weapons. Mystery to me why she hasn't gone far, tho' I don't like her rail thin physicality. Would love to see Sascha work with her if he can tolerate the financial loss 'til Antonia gets up to speed, for he's a baseline disciplinarian that will help Antonia off the ground and maybe encourage her to put some weight on those bones. Girl plays an all-court game, can finish from either side off the baseline, comes forward on deep balls to put away volleys, drops and has a more than decent serve. Love this girl's talent and game. She'll be 22 in August, but her ranking of 182nd shouldn't be. Nice win for her today......

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lugano

Post by Ace2Ace » Apr Tue 09, 2019 1:06 pm

We used to say nice things here about her.
I remember the Mayor of District RU90 praising her game, saying she is definitely a future top player.
It's been a while.
Hopefully this is not another one of those isolated wins we see around the tour.

rex
Commish
Commish

Re: Lugano

Post by rex » Apr Tue 09, 2019 1:33 pm

For her, it maybe a random win because she plays Kris' Pliskova next, where I think she'll lose to her, tho' Antonia's game is far better. Every time I get a chance to watch her play I come away duly impressed, for she does things that 90% of the top-100 doesn't do. She doesn't just stand there on the baseline and return with or without a serve, you know, just one-dimensional baseline tennis. It's just unfathomable to me why she hasn't reached the top-100 and is merely floundering on the ITF circuit at age 22. Hopefully, her match with Kris' will start at a decent time in the morning here stateside, for I'm not getting up at 3-8 am to watch.