OSAKA Dumps Sascha As Coach

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
OSAKA Dumps Sascha As Coach

Post by Grossefavourite » Feb Mon 11, 2019 7:33 pm

No. 1 Naomi Osaka splits with coach two weeks after 2nd major title

Top-ranked Naomi Osaka said she has split with coach Sascha Bajin a little more than two weeks after winning the Australian Open for her second consecutive Grand Slam title.

Osaka posted a tweet on Monday that said she "will no longer be working together with Sascha."
She also thanked Bajin and wished him "all the best in the future."

Osaka's agent confirmed to The Associated Press that Osaka would no longer be coached by Bajin but said there would be no further comment.

The 21-year-old Osaka beat Petra Kvitova in the Australian Open final on Jan. 26, adding to her championship at the U.S. Open last September.

rex
Commish
Commish

Re: OSAKA Dumps Sascha As Coach

Post by rex » Feb Mon 11, 2019 11:33 pm

Shocked, but not shocked, as some posters on the TF, including myself, noticed some odd behaviors and other subtleties during and after the AO that somewhat led to this separation. From the forum, the thread entitled "Credit to Sasha Bagin":

1). poster, Dmico, made this observation: "Naomi seems closer to her new physio (kristy) and trainer (Abdul) than to Sascha? Not that it's a bad thing, but her message to Sascha from her latest IG post (Instagram) seems a little less warm by comparison to others in her team. Also I watched a lot of her post-match interviews I noticed she mentioned a few times that her and Sascha didn't speak much before or after the match and she doesn't follow him on IG. Wild speculation on my part but I always got the impression that they were much closer, especially from their social media interactions from last year. Hope it isn't a sign of trouble in paradise".

2). poster, Arsenic, made 2 points:

a). "As I posted earlier, she unfollowed him on both her social media pages last week. She still follows Abdul and Kristy. In interviews she also pointedly credited her father as the person most responsible for her growth; a departure from last year when it was all about Sascha.

She used to be very close to him; in fact early on (around this time last year) she had an obvious crush (giggling whenever his name was mentioned in pressers, the way she acted around him in practice) but that seems to have cooled almost to the point of frost! I posted this in the live commentary thread before the final":

b). "Eurosport just showed Naomi’s practice with Sascha. After hitting together they sat down and he tried to show her something on his phone (commentators said he was showing her lefty serves). Naomi just looked straight ahead, got up mid-conversation and went to sign autographs for half an hour leaving him sitting there! Very MuguPenko-esque".

3). on January 28th my observation and post, crediting both Dmico and Arsenic, with this tidbit after the final:

"In addition to what you and Dmico just posted, I found Sascha's post-match tweet a little odd: "So I guess we did it? 😳 #TeamOsaka #AndNewNr1"

Note...that after she won the match she did not go to her box to glad-hand Sascha and her team, but merely acknowledged the crowd, then returned to her seat. Yet, she acknowledged her team on the podium. However, her post-match presser where she indicated that she and Sascha did not talk ere the final and did not talk extensively ere her other matches in Melbourne, merely noting that he would make a comment and she just said "Ok" and that's it, left me going...........hmmmmmmmmm...... We'll have to see how this unfolds".

Now, today, Naomi and Sascha have parted. What led to this parting of the ways is unknown, for both Naomi and Sascha have merely tweeted that they've separated and both wishing each other well. In addition, other members of her team were let go, but that is not confirmed.

Yet, a twitter user named "Tennis.Life" claims to know the story about the split, but will not publish such on twitter. They indicate the split is not about money, per a good source, but something else. Assume it will come out in the wash in the not-so-distant future, for Naomi is scheduled to play Dubai next week.

Rumor has it that Sascha will coach Venus next, which is ridiculous for Venus is done (nothing on her ground strokes, understandable pushing 40 at age 39). I would like him to coach Ana Konjuh, if they can get beyond the ethnic divide in Europe, for she has just as much game as Naomi and is better around the net, provided that her elbow is sound after 2 surgeries and she is not in pain. Yet, we'll see what unfolds over these next few days and week.....

Lastly, not making much sense this separation for me, since Sascha coached her to 2 consecutive slam titles, an important title in IW, ascending to the #1 spot and is the lst "WTA Coach of the Year" in its inaugural year for the award.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Feb Tue 12, 2019 4:09 am

Well, sometimes is is not bad to change a coach - even when that coach lead you to succes. It happens in soccer all the time. There is a expiry date on most coach-player relations...

Nevertheless, the first thing that comes to mind is "unanswered feelings" from one side. And I get the impression that Sascha was someone that prefers a professional relationship.
But I could be totally wrong.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Feb Tue 12, 2019 8:36 am

Unrequited love could be a possibility but her response to interview question about Sascha after winning the title was weird then but clear now. She was asked when was the last time she'd spoken to him and what did he advise her to do? She said she hadn't spoken to him in a while and couldn't remember what he said or disagreed with him; something to that effect. That's strange. Of course you would've spoken to your coach during the run-up to winning your first AO title, which explains why she thanked him for 'hitting with her.' That's not a coach and perhaps he never was.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Feb Tue 12, 2019 9:49 am

Well, I always considered Sascha more as a "coach" when it came to improve specific technical skills (e.g., serve) and improving fitness, and not so much as a tactical coach who helps in developing tactical strategies against specific players (e.g. wide serves vs Player A, targeting BH vs player B, long points vs Player C etc etc).

So if she feels that he cannot contribute anything in the technical/physical department, and he does not meet her expectations in the tactical department, then a split is the logical outcome.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Feb Tue 12, 2019 10:54 am

Doubtful she believes he's the reason for her success, despite the public opinion and shock, and still part ways with him so swiftly after her triumph.

Also, it could be that he's pushing her (and why not?) to focus all her energies on winning the French as well as Wimby, which would have her epically holding all 4 GS titles. Yes, however, might want to take a breather.

Mytiwtiw

Post by Mytiwtiw » Feb Tue 12, 2019 7:00 pm

Maria dumps Osaka next time they meet.🇷🇺🇷🇺🇷🇺👍🏻🌋

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Feb Thu 14, 2019 2:16 pm

Osaka speaks after winning title

Q: For the second Grand Slam final of your career, what kind of things did you talk about with Sascha beforehand?

A: "I didn't talk to him (smiling)."

Q: Is that different?

A: "I don't know. Yeah, no, like, we haven't really been talking, to be honest, like before any of my matches here. He would tell me, like, one thing, then I would be, like, OK. That was it."

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Feb Sun 17, 2019 10:00 am

Osaka cites 'happiness' as motive behind coaching split

Dubai (AFP) - Naomi Osaka said she would not prioritise "success over happiness" following the surprise sacking of her coach as she heads into the Dubai Championships as top seed for the first time.

The US and Australian Open champion this week split with Sascha Bajin, who led her to a pair of Grand Slam titles as well as the world number one ranking over the past year.

As she prepared to start as top seed in Dubai, Osaka only sketched in a few details as to why she ended her hugely successful partnership with Bajin.

"Everyone thinks it was a money-related issue, but it wasn't," the Japanese player said. "That's one of the most hurtful things I've ever heard.

"I travel with everyone on my team, I see them more than my family. I would never do that to them.

"I think my reason is I wouldn't put success over my happiness - that's my main thing."

Osaka is trying to take the high road in the affair, concentrating on her tennis as she heads a Dubai field with last month's Australian Open finalist Petra Kvitova seeded second and former top-ranked Simona Halep third.

"I'm not going to say anything bad about him (Bajin), I'm really grateful for all the things that he's done."

Osaka drew a line under the uncomfortable topic by adding: "If anything, you would have to see or ask him."

The introverted 21-year-old, who has turned the tennis hierarchy on its head since standing 72nd little more than a year ago before her breakthrough under Bajin's guidance, said there were rumblings of discontent in the arrangement during the Melbourne fortnight.

"It (the sacking) was kind of brewing in Australia. I think some people could see that if they saw how we interacted.

"I would not want to split on really bad terms; he is the person who made me open up more to people. I didn't want it to be really, like, hard stopping."

She confirmed her decision is final and she has moved on.

"I felt really happy. I'm surrounded by people that genuinely care. They have such positive energy. I'm really grateful for everyone that's around me at this time."

She said that the search for a new coach will begin within weeks: "It's not really ideal to go to Indian Wells (in March) without a coach.

"All the people that I have right now, they're all willing to do the things that he (Bajin) does. I don't think it will be that much of a big deal."

Osaka and Kvitova are seeded for a repeat of their Australian Open final at the weekend on the hard courts in the Gulf.

Osaka will begin in the second round against France's Kristina Mladenovic, who defeated Oman's Fatma Al Nabhani 6-1, 6-1 on Sunday.

The field is rich with talent, featuring nine of the world's top 10 -- only fourth-ranked American Sloane Stephens will be missing.

"It's a big tournament. Every tournament is difficult. And this one is unbelievable. We have so many great players playing here. Of course, it's always tough to win a tournament," said Kvitova.

Two-time Wimbledon champion Kvitova, who gets a first round bye, has fond memories of Dubai, having won the title here in 2013.

"I missed Dubai last year. So I am happy to be back. You always have the best memories when you win a title."

Mytiwtiw

Post by Mytiwtiw » Feb Sun 17, 2019 11:40 am

Where’s the link?