ERRANI Ban Increased

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
ERRANI Ban Increased

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Mon 11, 2018 9:47 am

Sara Errani ban increased to 10 months after cancer drug showed up in failed test

Italy's former world number five Sara Errani's ban has been increased from two to 10 months after a cancer drug showed up in a failed test.

The 30-year-old, who reached the French Open final in 2012, tested positive for banned drug letrozole.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport accepted medication taken by her mother found its way into a family meal.

But it said that Errani was guilty of a "light degree of fault" which justified a 10-month ban.

The decision followed appeals by the Italian anti-doping agency, which asked for a longer ban, and Errani, who wanted her voided results to be reinstated.

Errani, who reached the final four of last week's Croatia Bol Open but withdrew before her semi-final match, must now serve another eight months of suspension.

The winner of five Grand Slam doubles titles, she was initially banned for two months by the International Tennis Federation (ITF) in August 2017 and her results from 16 February to 7 June that year were declared void.

Errani said her mother had been using the drug as part of her breast cancer treatment and had dropped some pills on a kitchen worktop where tortellini and broth were later prepared.

Letrozole increases lean body mass and was banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) over concerns it was being abused by bodybuilders.

An independent tribunal, appointed by the ITF, said there was no evidence it would enhance the performance of an elite tennis player.

'I haven't done anything wrong'
Errani's mother and father told a tribunal hearing in July 2017 that after the positive finding, they carried out an experiment which found the drug dissolved in a broth, plus a meat mixture for tortellini, without being detectable.

"Together with my family we have tried to understand how this contamination could have happened because I am 100% certain I haven't taken a pill by mistake," said Errani in a statement.

"The only viable option has been that an accidental food contamination occurred at some stage in the house."

Errani said she was "very frustrated" and "extremely disappointed" by the initial sanction but was "at peace with my conscience and aware I haven't done anything wrong".

In 2012, she stopped working with Luis Garcia del Moral, one of the doctors at the centre of cyclist Lance Armstrong's doping scandal.

"I'm not interested in keeping working with a person that is involved in these things," she said at the time.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Mon 11, 2018 10:37 am

I like Errani but I had hard time believing her story: 1 pill falling in a big pot... the meal shared by an entire family ... and you get a drug in your system? That pill had to be as big as grapefruit. :)

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Mon 11, 2018 10:48 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

Her own federation pushed for an increased ban. That's a bad sign. Had they been cooking tortellini and broth at the time the pills spilled all over the kitchen counter top, then maybe, I can imagine one falling into the pot and contaminating her sample. But later? Not likely. I can't imagine, given the severity of the illness and the importance of the pill, not to mention the cost, that every last pill would not have been searched for and returned to the container.
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Jun Mon 11, 2018 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Mon 11, 2018 10:49 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>Grossefavourite</b>:</font>
 Because her story is strange. It's hard to believe 1 pill shared by an entire family will show up in a person's system.
I can take an aspirin if I have a headache and feel the result almost instantaneously.
If I drop that aspirin in a meal shared by my entire family, what are the chances it's going to have any effect on my headache?????
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Jun Tue 12, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Mon 11, 2018 11:48 am

11 Jun 2018

CAS decision in the case of Sara Errani

[PRESSRELEASE]
An appeal panel appointed under the Code of Sports-related Arbitration of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (“CAS”) has dismissed the appeal filed by Sara Errani, upheld the appeal filed by NADO Italia and, in doing so, partially upheld the decision imposed on Ms. Errani by an Independent Tribunal on 3 August 2017.

Ms. Errani, a 31-year-old player from Italy, provided an out-of-competition urine sample on 16 February 2017. That sample was sent to the WADA-accredited laboratory in Montreal, Canada for analysis, and was found to contain letrozole, which is a prohibited substance included under section S4 (Hormone and Metabolic Modulators) of the 2017 WADA Prohibited List, and therefore is also prohibited under the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme (“Programme”).

An Independent Tribunal appointed under Article 8.1.1 of the Programme found that Ms. Errani bore no significant fault or negligence for the violation and imposed on her a period of ineligibility of two months, beginning on 3 August and so ending at midnight on 2 October 2017. Her results between 16 February 2017 (the date of sample collection) and 7 June 2017 (and the date of her next test, which was negative) were disqualified, with resulting forfeiture of the ranking points and prize money that she won at events during that period. Both Ms. Errani and NADO Italia exercised their rights to appeal to the CAS: NADO Italia appealed the length of the sanction and the disqualification of results; Ms. Errani appealed the disqualification of results only.

Following a hearing on 9 November 2017, the CAS panel found that Ms. Errani had demonstrated (but only just) the source of the letrozole found in her sample and that her fault lay in the upper end of the ‘light’ range. Accordingly, the CAS panel determined that the decision of the Independent Tribunal (1) to impose a period of ineligibility of two months should be set aside and replaced with one of ten months; and (2) to disqualify Ms. Errani’s results should remain undisturbed. Ms. Errani will be eligible to return to competition on 8 February 2019.

Read more at https://www.itftennis.com/news/287490.a ... WWyqkzL.99
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Jun Mon 11, 2018 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:ERRANI Ban Increased

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Mon 11, 2018 4:50 pm