PHENOM For Sure

ATP version of the WTA general tennis
Post Reply New Topic

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Re: PHENOM For Sure

Post by Graveller » Nov Wed 30, 2022 10:34 am

Picked up this thread from 2017 as it looked ahead to the future on young ATP-players, and did not want to start a new one...

Ever heard of Gilles-Arnoud Bailly?
He's 17
He's Belgian
And he just became the new #1 in junior rankings...

Looks we finally may have a sucessor for Goffin...
:-)
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Feb Mon 06, 2023 10:33 am

Here in the States and, imo, we have a successor for the Sisters in Alycia Parks. Similar talent and game with power and weapons to dictate and control her own destiny. Late-developing at age 22, she nonetheless possesses the talent and weapons to be significant and carve out a significant niche for herself on the Tour. Yet, perplexing tho' at age 22 and given how mediocre the Tour has been, it's very odd that she's just now reaching the top-100 given what she has which is so Sister's-like. Yet, each player develops and evolves differently. Hopefully, she'll pan out over her career, unlike Venus, Petra K and Mona Barthel who have been a disappointment for me, the 3 biggest wastes of talent I've ever seen in women's tennis.

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Feb Wed 08, 2023 6:06 pm

Will Parks be more than an ‘indoor Queen’?

I question her mental fortitude. Keeping emotions in check when upset and staying calm and working through when her game is off.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Feb Mon 27, 2023 3:22 pm

Reversal on Parks. Watched her since Lyons and I have to say that her career record is just about right......142/134, near .500 for good reason. The sloppiness of her game suggests that she's just a .500 player and can lose to anyone in the top-1000 on her own racquet. 2nd serve returns are "repeatedly" hit into the net, sitters landing in the tram lines or behind the chair on the fly. Today, she loses to a scrub, Bjorklund, who is ranked 151st for good reason at age 24, a marginal game. Alycia blew 0-30 leads repeatedly with weak returns into the net, or returns hit badly off the court, hardly forced by the return game of Mirjam. Alycia says she wants to be top-10 by the end of this year. Coming off a nice final against Garcia in Lyons, I thought there were possibilities. However, after 3 stinkers in 3 subsequent events, including today, it's not happening. ITFs and 125ks for this girl is about right at the end of this year, even though she's 51st ranked and in the maindraw for both IW and Miami where she's a guaranteed lst round dismissal in both events. Her tennis is erratic and error-prone, offset by a damaging lst serve. Now, I understand why she took so long to crack the top-100 at age 22, despite her weapons and game. She whips herself often on her own accord.....

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jun Thu 01, 2023 7:18 am

Not sure if anyone will read this anymore.

Too bad that it all ended here all of a sudden. Had fun with the game for more than a decade.
Ace disappeared. Hope he is still OK. Maybe one day the PGame will resurrect from its ashes, and I will find my way back into it.
In the mean time, I became a Rybakina-only fan. My final, perfect prediction of years ago came true. Still got some love for Kasatkina and Bencic, but Elena just convinced me with game and results.

Cheers to all,
Graveller.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Jeff in Texas
Regular
Regular

Post by Jeff in Texas » Jul Tue 04, 2023 12:53 am

Grav,

Miss the interaction on this site. Hope you are during well and enjoyed the games. Not sure how I feel about Rybakina yet, but she does have game. Love Bencic but wish she played up to her full potential. Kasatkina too! Stay well, my friend.

anishmitch
Senior
Senior

Post by anishmitch » Jul Wed 05, 2023 12:39 pm

Good Afternoon. Was checking back in to see how everyone is doing. Sorry to see it has become a ghost town. Last week I thought about setting up a team for the Skan contest. Alas, that may be in my rearview mirror. Hope everyone is well and that you are all enjoying Wimbledon. Take care