Tournaments this week

SERENA Retiring After USO?

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
SERENA Retiring After USO?

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Tue 09, 2022 8:49 am

The US Open will be Serena Williams’ final tournament.

Williams announced she was “evolving away from tennis” in a Vogue magazine article that was published on Tuesday morning.

“I’m here to tell you that I’m evolving away from tennis, toward other things that are important to me,” Williams wrote. “A few years ago I quietly started Serena Ventures, a venture capital firm. Soon after that, I started a family. I want to grow that family.”

Williams, who won her first match in over a year on Monday at the National Open in Toronto, confirmed that she would play at the US Open in Flushing Meadows at the end of the month. That will be her last grand slam event.

Williams, 40, has won 23 grand slam titles — the most in the Open Era and one short of Margaret Court’s all-time record.

“Unfortunately I wasn’t ready to win Wimbledon this year,” wrote Williams, who lost to Harmony Tan in the first round of the All England Club.

“And I don’t know if I will be ready to win New York. But I’m going to try. And the lead-up tournaments will be fun. I know there’s a fan fantasy that I might have tied Margaret that day in London, then maybe beat her record in New York, and then at the trophy ceremony say, ‘See ya!’ I get that. It’s a good fantasy. But I’m not looking for some ceremonial, final on-court moment. I’m terrible at goodbyes, the world’s worst.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Re: SERENA Retiring After USO?

Post by Graveller » Aug Tue 09, 2022 4:18 pm

There is always the legends tour once she completed her family.

No doubt in my mind that her biological clock and desire for another kid is the real driver.

Hoping that her last match, win or lose, is high quality against a top player. A worthy ending for a great champion,
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Sat 13, 2022 11:02 am

Serena plays Raducanu in the 1st rd in Cincy. Expect Emma to suddenly find her game, strutting around the court like she's the shyte.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Aug Sat 13, 2022 5:26 pm

Neither Han or Bencic played close to their best and still won… quite possible that Raducanu at 50% can win too.

Oh well, one more month and we reach the end of 20 years of deluded excuses from the obsessed fraction of her fan base.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Aug Sat 13, 2022 11:40 pm

I think leaving Patrick was the signal.
He wanted a commitment from her
she wasn’t willing to give.

I think Grav is right, she wants another child. Given her age and complications after Olympia’s delivery, the sooner the better.

I hope this means she is at peace statistically speaking with her career.
Hope there are no regrets. Also, I do feel her game, serve and groundstrokes are still there. Drop 20-30 pounds to improve her movement with a committed practice and tournament schedule and she could most definitely win tie or even pass Court next year or at least give herself a realistic opportunity. Yet, to each their own and I wish her all the best however this career ends for her.

serenarulz09
Senior
Senior

Post by serenarulz09 » Aug Mon 15, 2022 1:04 am

I bought tickets for tomorrow night in Cincinnati so I could see her one last time and they changed the schedule. They said she’d be playing Monday night so when they announced that the demand/prices tripled. So now I have a ticket I can’t sell or want to use. I even had a hotel for tomorrow night(5 hours away). This tournament literally did this to make money I’m beyond disappointed. Over 400 bucks wasted on the hopes to see the best one last time.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Aug Tue 16, 2022 12:33 pm

Serena and Venus should enter the doubles one last time at US open. I would not be surprised if they won it. And ending a career with a doubles slam would make the feeling nicer.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Tue 16, 2022 7:41 pm

See? Raducanu made probably 3 errors all match. Exaggeration but still.

Joylan1
Junior
Junior

Post by Joylan1 » Aug Tue 16, 2022 9:35 pm

Serena was injured, this match was supposed to happen on Monday. It was pushed to today to help Serena and of course the ticket sales.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Aug Wed 17, 2022 3:28 am

Joylan1 wrote:
Aug Tue 16, 2022 9:35 pm
Serena was injured
So far I've seen no evidence anywhere on the internet for this claim. Please provide reliable link to back this up. But if we are gonna play an excuse game, I would guess she is already pregnant and therefore is not going all-in... If that is the case , she should retire immediately and explain why.

I don't like to see this: it is not how GOATs should end their career. She and Federer make the same mistake - one that other great players avoided: playing too long and ending on a low point. I fear this is what Federer will have to go through if he comes back next year (still remains to be seen, imo).

Really, she should have retired when she had her baby, and was still at her prime, e.g. after winning the AO in 2017, when she was already pregnant. THAT was the perfect moment to say goodbye, while holding slam trophy #23. I mean, who really cared about the 24 from Court - that was a different era and Serena was already the GOAT.