Tournaments this week

What happen to all the top players.

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Joylan1
Junior
Junior
What happen to all the top players.

Post by Joylan1 » May Sat 14, 2022 9:15 pm

Kerber, halep, pliskova,Kvitová were all out beating the WS. Now they can't get pass the first round.

With no WS to keep the pressure off them they just crash and burn.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Re: What happen to all the top players.

Post by Graveller » May Sun 15, 2022 3:15 am

Lol, you are funny.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » May Fri 20, 2022 3:13 pm

Anyway, the top players of this decade are doing pretty well with a #1 in WTA winning 5 events in a row - feels like we are back in the days of Henin…

Seems that some over here are still stuck in a previous decade, thinking than 30/40y old players represent the top… Graf was already retired at that age.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » May Fri 20, 2022 8:06 pm

Generally, I wasn't impressed with the so-called top players. I didn't see greatness in any of them. They only seemed to play well when they had nothing to lose and the attention was elsewhere, perennially on the WS.

Fans were bored with Barty and a little leery of her rise. She wasn't improving, so she allegedly quit to play another completely unrelated sport, but came back stronger and ripped right through the rankings. It made you think the WTA was weak or she had been up to something. That could never happen in the ATP. And now her bizarre resignation.

The WTA/fans had high hopes for Andreescu but she's been reeled back into the masses. That magic run of 2019 seems a distant memory. Raducanu seems destined to prove detractors right that she's a lucky GS winner. She can't seem to get passed the 2nd round of minor tournaments. Coco's game is stuck though still promising. That FH must improve. Anisimova, the purported 'Next Sharapova', is a slow burner and not the shooting star as they'd hoped. She's improving and her strokes are very smooth and deceptively potent.

Now with Iga, there's a pall of malaise and disinterest. Could be due to lingering shock of Barty's resignation. Fans seem to be suggesting she's not 'mainstream' with regard to her personal life, much like Mauresmo. As for her game, I find it herky jerky, a little frantic. She seems to just slap at the ball. I don't see anything new and exciting. I know she's been trying to align herself with Rafa, but I see her more like Thiem than Rafa.

I'm with Naomi. tennis is now centered on the ATP with the GOAT race, the NextGen drama and the rise of Alcaraz and a few other very talented, charismatic young players. There are more spectators, including WTA players, attending the practice sessions of ATP players than the final of any WTA match. As for Naomi herself, it appears she's going her own way, playing/using tennis simply as a platform to achieve goals outside of tennis.

No one cared about Henin, not even Belgians. Kimmie Poo was their tournament darling.

Joylan1
Junior
Junior

Post by Joylan1 » May Sat 21, 2022 11:16 am

The french didn't warm up to Amelia because she's a lesbian, it was because she was ugly, lets be real about that.

The same thing happen when schvione won the FO. She said she never got any endorsement like Flavia did and it was because oh looks.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » May Sun 22, 2022 4:29 pm

LOL, I write “current top players” and Grosse comes back with Andreescu and Raducanu. Grosse only knows hyped players who had one run at a slam and thinks that they are top players.

As for the comment that Iga only seems to hit the ball; well, Grosse got the key word right, but never realised it: SEEMS… yes, it seems that way, but there is so much more going on.. Grosse has no clue (are we surprised?).

Henin not relevant for Belgians? Well, I am sure that you will be able to convince Americans of that. Unfortunately, thanks to my first-hand experiences, I will politely disagree 😂😂.

As for Joylan: no surprise that this pure Christian person has nothing nice to say about other people. Hope you did your weekly confession-routine this Sunday. I would hate the thought of you having to burn in hell for eternity for being nasty 😂👍.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » May Sun 22, 2022 6:17 pm

Apparently, Iga matches Rafa in FH revolutions, and Thiem in BH power. Sus...

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » May Mon 23, 2022 10:49 am

Grossefavourite wrote:
May Sun 22, 2022 6:17 pm
Apparently, Iga matches Rafa in FH revolutions, and Thiem in BH power. Sus...
So you managed to find the answer yourself (but not sure you realised it yourself):
The average forehand speed of Swiatek at RG when she won it (2020), was 73 mph... coincidentally the same average FH speed of Serena. And she combined it with an average topspin rotation of 3200 rpm (the same as Nadal).

So to you it SEEMS like nothing more than hitting hard; in reality she is hitting equally hard as Serena, but combined with a technical skill never achieved by any other woman. That ability to put so much spin on the ball makes life so much harder for her opponents.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » May Wed 25, 2022 1:12 pm

Well, I missed this Skan badly. Just saw Osaka exited in R1. Wow, I guess I am probably the only one surprised, since I have not watched anything lately. She could totally be out of form.
Good luck Halep is my darling is still in the run.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » May Thu 26, 2022 2:37 pm

Halep lost in R2… it looks more and more that she will never get to the level she once was.

Swiatek on the other hand: had no mercy with Riske (only lost two games) and is now on 30 wins in a row. 4th longest win streak in the 21st century. Henin is at 32, Serena at 34 and Venus at 35.

So if she wins, she equals the record.