MIXED Doubles: Venus/Krygios

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
MIXED Doubles: Venus/Krygios

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Sun 27, 2021 9:36 am

Tennis world in frenzy over Nick Kyrgios and Venus Williams news

Nick Kyrgios has sent the tennis world into a frenzy after revealing he will team up with Venus Williams to play mixed doubles at Wimbledon.

The mercurial Aussie star put a call out on Twitter earlier this week asking for suggestions about who he should play mixed with at the All England Club.

"The mixed doubles pairing of the tournament," Kyrgios declared at a pre-tournament press conference on Saturday.

I was right!

Nick Kyrgios will play mixed doubles at #Wimbledon with Venus Williams

— José Morgado (@josemorgado) June 26, 2021

In 2017, Venus responded to a question about who her dream mixed doubles partner would be by saying: “I don’t know, I think it’d be fun to play with Nick Kyrgios.”

And now the 41-year-old has got her wish.

Kyrgios couldn't ask for a more experienced partner, with Venus winning 24 doubles titles in her career - two of which were mixed.

The American champion won the mixed doubles titles at the Australian Open and French Open in 1998, and was runner-up at Wimbledon in 2006.

The former World No.1 has also won five Wimbledon singles tiles, as well as six doubles titles with sister Serena.

Kyrgios has previously played mixed doubles with Amanda Anisimova at the Australian Open in 2020 and Desirae Krawczyk at Wimbledon in 2019.

The prospect of seeing Kyrgios and Venus in action together in mixed doubles sent tennis fans into a frenzy on social media.

I’m here for all the Nick Kyrgios and Venus Williams mixed doubles matches 🎾🌱 #Wimbledon

— Steve Weissman (@Steve_Weissman) June 26, 2021

For real? Omg

— Kate Zarifeh (@KateZMedia) June 26, 2021

I love this, I hope they go far!!

— Jacinta S. (@Jacinta__S) June 26, 2021

Good Lord.

— El Chopernos (@El_Chopernos) June 26, 2021

Oh my

— Hayden Hunter (@HaydenHunter_12) June 26, 2021

Now that's some mixed doubles

— Fidato (@tequieremos) June 26, 2021

Great news. Both are awesome players. ❤️

— KIMVaL (@KimzSpotz) June 26, 2021

Nick Kyrgios and Venus Williams will be mixed doubles partners at #Wimbledon. That should be fun.

— Biola Solace-Chukwu (@Beeorlicious) June 26, 2021

Skilletsauce
Junior
Junior

Re: MIXED Doubles: Venus/Krygios

Post by Skilletsauce » Jun Sun 27, 2021 10:45 am

Well now Venus in both the singles and mixed doubles at Wimbledon? And paired with none other than Nick Kyrgios no less!!! This should be a very interesting pairing and a lot will depend on Venus form and physical condition. I'm not sure how either is doing at this point as Venus hasn't really played much tennis lately. We shall see how her opening round goes to get an idea.

I would imagine Krygios will do the heavy lifting in this pairing but if Venus can summon some of her former self this could be quite a formidable mixed doubles team especially with their reach at the net and height. I think a lot will be determined by how well either do in the singles draw as well.

And look at that smile Nick has on his face. You can tell he has a lot of admiration and respect for Venus.

Joylan1
Junior
Junior

Post by Joylan1 » Jun Sun 27, 2021 11:46 am

They'll probably lose in the first round. These star pairing just get their opponents all juiced up to beat them. Just the FO.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Sun 27, 2021 12:56 pm

Joylan1 wrote:
Jun Sun 27, 2021 11:46 am
They'll probably lose in the first round. These star pairing just get their opponents all juiced up to beat them. Just the FO.
Business. Makes money. Plus, I suspect it's Venus' way to encourage events to extend her WC's, though she shouldn't/doesn't need it. Nice payback though. Win-win.

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Jun Sun 27, 2021 2:10 pm

Nice!😎

I think they could compliment each other very well personality wise on court. Nick bringing the fun and Venus bringing the professionalism.

They may surprise.

Zalvar
Regular
Regular

Post by Zalvar » Jul Fri 02, 2021 11:49 am

I love how he is pumping her up

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Fri 02, 2021 11:53 am

Venus loves tennis. 65 is the retirement age... Keep going, lady!!!

Joylan1
Junior
Junior

Post by Joylan1 » Jul Fri 02, 2021 1:10 pm

I am glad they got the win, but with the bigger crowds and star players it was harder than it should been.

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Jul Fri 02, 2021 2:55 pm

That shanked bh lob winner bp down by Venus! :D

First time pairing and they look promising. Hopefully this will not be the last tournament they play together in.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Fri 02, 2021 8:24 pm

Nick Kyrgios says his body's in pain after playing for a fourth day in a row, but he's adamant he can still go the whole way at this year's Wimbledon.