Tournaments this week

NADAL Withdraws From Wimbledon, Oly

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
rex
Commish
Commish
Re: NADAL Withdraws From Wimbledon, Oly

Post by rex » Jun Sun 27, 2021 11:56 am

Yep, Serena is now out of the Olympics, as well. She doesn't give specific reasons why she elects not to play. Reading the article it appears to me that she's indifferent about participating in such, doesn't even know whether she's even qualified to participate. This would have been Serena's 5th Olympiad. However, at this point in her career, it appears that the event doesn't hold as much significance as it did in the prior years, rather than winning Slams.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/summer/te ... o-olympics

On another note, Roger may not play as well, tho' he indicates he would like to. However, his reasoning is based on his physicality, whether or not his surgically repaired knee will hold up after Wimby, which is more important to him at this point in his career than the gold.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/sports/tennis ... uxbndlbing

With Rafael and Serena already declining to participate, this Olympics not featuring 2 tennis legends and maybe a 3rd, tennis at the Olympics for 2021 has lost some of its significance. All 3 qualify, but don't care to participate. Says a lot....

Lastly, what one may see here at Wimby for 2021 is the last Wimby for Roger and Serena. Would love to see both winning it ere they go, especially Roger who cherishes the Dish.

Skilletsauce
Junior
Junior

Post by Skilletsauce » Jun Sun 27, 2021 2:54 pm

Another aspect to consider is covid. A lot of the older players who have already competed in the games may not want to risk getting infected with a new strain and will certainly not miss all the pageantry.

I think for the likes of Roger, Serena, Nadal et al it's more of a case of been there done that and at this stage health is more important.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Tue 29, 2021 7:26 am

Halep, Wawrinka out of Oly. Romania must be bummed because Simona is their most famous athlete.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Tue 06, 2021 11:27 am

‘Venus and Serena got a lot of sh*t for it’ – Clijsters in praise of Williams’

Kim Clijsters entered the player schedule debate, highlighting the backlash that Serena and Venus Williams faced for starting a recent trend.

A writer for the New Yorker retweeted Nadal’s recent Wimbledon withdrawal announcement with the caption “Seems to me that Naomi Osaka started a very healthy trend of listening to one’s body.”

However, 4-time Grand Slam champion Kim Clijsters was quick to note along with others that the trend began long before, crediting Venus and Serena Williams as the main trailblazers.

“Venus and Serena started it I think,” Clijsters tweeted in response to the original.

“[They] got a lot of sh*t for it but it’s the reason why we are still able to enjoy their tennis.”

Despite the sisters both going pro in the 1990s, Serena, 39, and Venus, 41, are still playing the WTA tour, with Serena still ranked in the top 10. Both women won their first Grand Slam titles over 20 years ago.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Tue 13, 2021 11:59 am

Federer announced on Tuesday he won't compete in Tokyo after suffering a setback with his surgically repaired right knee.

“I am greatly disappointed, as it has been an honour and highlight of my career each time I have represented Switzerland," Swiss legend Roger Federer said after confirming his withdrawal from the Tokyo Olympic Games. “I have already begun rehabilitation in the hopes of returning to the Tour later his summer."

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Thu 15, 2021 8:05 pm

Novak is playing Oly. Surprising. Must be a charm offensive. I was shocked to listen a program in which his parents say that Serbs in Serbia don't like Novak out of envy, which is why the family has been unsuccessful in getting the govt to erect a monument or museum in Novak's honor.