Tournaments this week

NAOMI Withdraws

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
Re: NAOMI Withdraws

Post by Grossefavourite » May Mon 31, 2021 9:02 pm

Look how many people with simple 9-5 desk jobs who need a truckload of pills just to summon the willpower to blink in the morning.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » May Mon 31, 2021 9:05 pm

Dominic Thiem is clearly suffering too since his USO win.

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » May Mon 31, 2021 9:50 pm

Grossefavourite wrote:
May Mon 31, 2021 8:23 pm
“The person who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The person who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever seen before.” - Albert Einstein
So it wasn’t genuine. She had an ulterior motive
and pushed it under the guise of mental health.

Yes, she miscalculated because outside of that
high school mentality of social media, real world
businesses have bottom lines and contractual obligations.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » May Mon 31, 2021 10:17 pm

Pyotr wrote:
May Mon 31, 2021 9:50 pm
So it wasn’t genuine. She had an ulterior motive
and pushed it under the guise of mental health.

Yes, she miscalculated because outside of that
high school mentality of social media, real world
businesses have bottom lines and contractual obligations.
Perhaps she's well aware of the high suicide rate in Japan among people who dutifully dedicate themselves to their company's bottom line, not to mention from 'karoshi,' 'dying from overwork.' Suicide requires some calculation too. Plus, she didn't say she was completely disabled from her mental issues.

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » May Mon 31, 2021 10:25 pm

Grossefavourite wrote:
May Mon 31, 2021 10:17 pm
Perhaps she's well aware of the high suicide rate in Japan among people who dutifully dedicate themselves to their company's bottom line, not to mention from 'karoshi,' 'dying from overwork.' Suicide requires some calculation too. Plus, she didn't say she was completely disabled from her mental issues.
Do you work in PR, because that was a
spin if their ever was one.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » May Mon 31, 2021 11:11 pm

Pyotr wrote:
May Mon 31, 2021 10:25 pm
Do you work in PR, because that was a
spin if their ever was one.
Haha, no, I just lived in Japan.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » May Mon 31, 2021 11:24 pm

Many players and celebs rallied in support of her decision and her statement detailing what she has been going through.

Serena Williams

I feel like there is a lot of, like, articles and stuff that they put out. I think you really have to step forward and make an effort, just as in anything. You have to be able to make an effort and say, I need help with A, B, C, and D, and talk to someone. I think that’s so important to have a sounding board, whether it’s someone at the WTA or whether it’s someone in your life. Maybe it’s someone that you just talk to on a weekly basis.

I’ve been in that position, too. I’ve definitely had opportunities to talk to people, kind of get things off my chest that I can’t necessarily talk to anyone in my family or anyone that I know.

For me it’s important to have awareness and make that step.

The only thing I feel is that I feel for Naomi. I feel like I wish I could give her a hug because I know what it’s like. Like I said, I’ve been in those positions.

We have different personalities, and people are different. Not everyone is the same. I’m thick. Other people are thin. Everyone is different and everyone handles things differently.

You just have to let her handle it the way she wants to, in the best way she thinks she can, and that’s the only thing I can say. I think she’s doing the best that she can.

Coco Gauff

stay strong I admire your vulnerability

Billie Jean King

It’s incredibly brave that Naomi Osaka has revealed her truth about her struggle with depression.

Right now, the important thing is that we give her the space and time she needs.

We wish her well.

Sloane Stephens

We’re behind you babygirl, take the time you need! ❤️

Mardy Fish

Mental Health is nothing to criticize. Nothing to joke about. Pls take your mental health seriously. Without my support system, I truly believe I would not be here today. Here for you @naomiosaka

Victoria Azarenka

The challenge today is to convince people of the value of truth, honesty, compassion and a concern for others.

Venus Williams

So proud of you. Take care of yourself and see you back winning soon! ❤️❤️❤️

Usain Bolt

🙏🏿🙏🏿🙏🏿

Lisa Leslie

God bless you 🙏🏾 You have to do what’s best for you first! Public life can be overwhelming and it’s ok to not be ok with it sometimes!
Blessings and nothing but support champ❤️❤️❤️🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾

Olivia Munn

❤️❤️❤️

Chelsea Handler

Good for you.

Terrell Owens

You don’t need to apologize to ANYONE and especially THOSE damn JOURNALISTS that don’t understand WHO YOU ARE. Love yourself because they sure aren’t. Be You and Do You. YOU are what matters! #ILOVEMESOMEME
WE ARE WITH YOU!
The tournament is losing in this situation. So sad that they would rather fine you than embrace the person.

Flea

Love to you Naomi, you are the power, you channel the greatness!

Statement from FFT president Gilles Moretton

First and foremost, we are sorry and sad for Naomi Osaka. The outcome of Naomi withdrawing from Roland-Garros is unfortunate. We wish her the best and the quickest possible recovery, and we look forward to having Naomi at our Tournament next year.

As all the Grand Slams, the WTA, the ATP and the ITF, we remain very committed to all athletes’ well-being and to continually improving every aspect of players’ experience in our Tournament, including with the Media, like we have always strived to do.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Tue 01, 2021 1:16 pm

‘Can’t make this up’: The stunning irony in French Open’s Osaka reply

French tennis federation president Gilles Moretton has been called out for the stunning irony of his statement about Naomi Osaka's bombshell decision to withdraw from the grand slam tournament.

Osaka stunned the tennis world on Tuesday (AEST) by pulling out of the French Open, explaining she had been suffering from depression for almost three years.

The Japanese star said in the build-up to the tournament that she would not attend the obligatory press conferences for players after matches, saying the questioning by journalists stresses her mental health.

The 23-year-old was fined after following through with that threat in the wake of her first round win at Roland-Garros, before making the call to withdraw from the tournament before her second round match.

The French tennis federation president addressed the "unfortunate" situation on Tuesday in a short press conference that included no questions from media afterwards.

"The outcome of Naomi withdrawing from Roland Garros is unfortunate. We wish her the best and the quickest possible recovery, and we look forward to having Naomi in our tournament next year," Moretton said.

"As all the Grand Slams, the WTA, the ATP, and the ITF, we remain very committed to all athletes' well-being, and to continually improving every aspect of players' experience in our tournament - including with the media, like we have always strived to do. Thank you."

The irony that Moretton did not face the media's questions after the press conference - particularly after addressing Osaka's situation - was not lost on tennis fans who vented their anger on social media.

And yes, the immense irony of the FFT President not taking questions from the media in the wake of this Osaka withdrawal is not lost on anyone. #RG21

— Ben Rothenberg (@BenRothenberg) May 31, 2021

Wait So he wanted Naomi Osaka to take questions from the press at thr French Open but FFT President Gilles Moretton cowardly ran away, didnt take any questions from reporters after making his statement? DID I GET IT RIGHT????? https://t.co/nEeQiZK0S3

— NoChillMood (@ritaag) May 31, 2021

Osaka gave them an opportunity make things better for the sport. Instead the sport and press are like “let us show how right you were by doubling down.” Between this and the French tennis president not taking questions shows how tone deaf they are about mental health issues. https://t.co/WalmgKOcpi

— Victor Javier Corona (@victorjcorona) May 31, 2021

A new entry tonight for PR shambles of the year. Would love to know the thinking behind the FFT president calling a press conference and delivering a short pre-prepared statement on Osaka (that could have easily been sent out via email) without taking questions. Oh, the irony...

— Stuart Fraser (@stu_fraser) May 31, 2021

The irony and the insult from the President of @rolandgarros for not taking questions after the weak statements regarding Osaka. Ridiculous! Can we ask how much he will be fined and can he just retire?!?! 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ https://t.co/lQ5vdGVfxd

— Jerry Cruz 🇵🇷 (@IndyCar_Raider) May 31, 2021

The irony. FFT President Gilles Moretton releases a statement about Naomi Osaka, but then refuses to take questions from the press. Issue a fine to this clown.

— SierraBo22 (@SierraBo22) May 31, 2021

Wait wait wait. Naomi Osaka withdraws from Roland Garros and is fined because she didn’t want to talk to the media because of her mental health, but the president of the FFT wouldn’t take questions from the media after his press conference #irony

— Dalton Mott (@dmott225) May 31, 2021

The head of the French tennis Federation declined to take questions after issuing a statement on Osaka. You can’t make this up https://t.co/1UyltOHjE0

— Daniel Kaplan (@KaplanSportsBiz) May 31, 2021

After her first round win, Osaka was fined $15,000 ($A19,400) by the Roland Garros referee, and grand slam organisers later issued a strongly worded statement warning of possible expulsion from the French Open and future majors if she failed to change her stance on boycotting press conferences.

Citing her ongoing battle with depression, the 23-year-old sensationally took matters into her own hands to end the stand-off.

"This isn't a situation I ever imagined or intended when I posted a few days ago," the world No.2 posted on Twitter.

"I think now the best thing for the tournament, the other players and my well-being is that I withdraw so that everyone can get back to focusing on the tennis going on in Paris.

"I never wanted to be a distraction and I accept that my timing was not ideal and my message could have been clearer."

Pictured here, Naomi Osaka at the French Open in 2021.
Naomi Osaka in action during the opening round of the French Open. (Photo by Tim Clayton/Corbis via Getty Images)
Japanese star battling depression
Osaka, one of the biggest names in women's sport, went on to say she had been battling depression for a number of years.

"The truth is that I have suffered long bouts of depression since the US Open in 2018 and I have had a really hard time coping with that," she said.

"Anyone that knows me knows I'm introverted, and anyone that has seen me at the tournaments will notice that I'm often wearing headphones as that helps dull my social anxiety."

After beating Serena Williams at Flushing Meadows to claim her first major in 2018, Osaka was booed by the crowd during the presentation ceremony as her victory was overshadowed by the American's outburst after a row with the umpire.

Osaka said that since then she has struggled in the spotlight, suffering "huge waves of anxiety" before speaking to the world's media.

Williams, after her first-round match in Paris, offered her support to Osaka.

"You just have to let her handle it the way she wants to, in the best way she thinks she can, and that's the only thing I can say," Williams said.

"I think she's doing the best that she can."

Osaka tweeted that she would take some time away from tennis and hoped later to meet the sport's organisers to improve the system for "the players, press and fans".

Wimbledon starts in four weeks while Osaka's next tournament is scheduled to be in Berlin on grass in two weeks' time.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Tue 01, 2021 2:56 pm

Gael Monfils, 34, who also won Tuesday in Paris, said he could relate to Osaka's concerns to an extent.

"It's a very tough situation for her. I feel for her, because I have been struggling quite a lot as well," said Monfils, of France. "What she's dealing is even tough for me to even judge, because I think she has massive pressure from many things. I think she's quite young. She's handling it quite well. Sometime we want maybe too much from her ... so sometime, for sure, she is going to do some mistake."

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Wed 02, 2021 8:37 am