Tournaments this week

NAOMI Withdraws

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
NAOMI Withdraws

Post by Grossefavourite » May Mon 31, 2021 2:31 pm

They bullied her into this decision while desperately hankering for a Maria comeback.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: NAOMI Withdraws

Post by Grossefavourite » May Mon 31, 2021 2:52 pm

Naomi Osaka says she will withdraw from the French Open, announcing Monday on social media that she will "take some time away from the court" one day after she was fined and threatened harsher sanctions for skipping her mandatory media obligations.

Osaka, in a lengthy statement, said she "never wanted to be a distraction" and that her withdrawal is "the best thing for the tournament, the other players and my well-being."

Osaka's agent, Stuart Duguid, confirmed in an email to The Associated Press that the world's No. 2-ranked tennis player was pulling out before her second-round match at the clay-court tournament in Paris.

A spokeswoman for the tournament said the French Open was not aware of Osaka's withdrawal.

"I think now the best thing for the tournament, the other players and my well-being is that I withdraw so that everyone can get back to focusing on the tennis going on in Paris," Osaka wrote. "I never wanted to be a distraction and I accept that my timing was not ideal and message could have been clearer."

Osaka, 23, also revealed she has battled depression and anxiety since winning her first major at the 2018 US Open and explained speaking to the media often makes her nervous. She apologized to any media members she had impacted with her decision.

"I am not a natural public speaker and get huge waves of anxiety before I speak to the world's media," she said. "I get really nervous and find it stressful to always try and engage and give [the media] the best answers I can."

The announcement prompted support from 17-year-old American Coco Gauff, who tweeted in response: "I admire your vulnerability," and told Osaka to "stay strong."

The four-time major champion and No. 2 seed in this clay-court Grand Slam announced Wednesday that she would not be participating in any news conferences during the tournament, citing her mental health as the motivation for the decision.

Osaka's announcement sparked much debate in the tennis and sports world, and other players, notably 13-time French Open champion Rafael Nadal and No. 1-ranked Ash Barty, have said they respect Osaka's right to take a stance but explained that they consider speaking to reporters part of the job. She was fined $15,000 for skipping her postmatch news conference Sunday after her victory against Patricia Maria Tig.

In addition to Sunday's fine, Osaka drew a surprising warning from all four Grand Slam tournaments that she could face stiffer penalties, including disqualification or even suspension, if she continues to avoid the media.

Osaka, who was next scheduled to take on Ana Bogdan in the second round Wednesday, said she hoped she could have a conversation with officials from the WTA upon her return.

"I really want to work with the Tour to discuss ways we can make things better for the players, press and fans," she said.

Joylan1
Junior
Junior

Post by Joylan1 » May Mon 31, 2021 6:24 pm

I didn't think much of her decision, she's doing it a little bit too late, she's a four-time grandslam champion.

If she gets nervous then she should say so , but showing clips of other players sort of look like you're hiding behind them.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » May Mon 31, 2021 6:35 pm

What is going on with her? Did that singer break her heart? Are they still together?

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » May Mon 31, 2021 6:48 pm

If post match press conferences were so great, they wouldn't need to threaten hefty fines and expulsion to get players to show up. That alone tells you they're problematic, coercive.

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » May Mon 31, 2021 7:42 pm

She miscalculated the response, it blew up in her face, she cut and ran.

She is not the first to hate doing press and won’t be the last. However, she knows full well the requirements of the job. She is not different or more special than anyone else. You enjoy the perks, you must also acknowledge the obligations and responsibilities that come with it. Otherwise, get an average 9 to 5 and go play tennis on the weekend. Give up the perks $$$, but will have your privacy. Furthermore, if it were truly that deep, pull a Marshawn Lynch and be done with it.

She is getting no sympathy from me only because I feel she is using mental health to cover her insecurities and garner sympathy. Had this happened at the USO or AO, then I would be inclined to believe their is a legit issue. However, it’s coming on a surface she has had little success on, already has a negative mindset toward, and I think her sister admitted someone already voiced negative thoughts to her about her game on clay. Bashing the press was an easy target to deflect from her own already fragile mental state on clay.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » May Mon 31, 2021 7:44 pm

Pyotr wrote:
May Mon 31, 2021 7:42 pm
She miscalculated the response, it blew up in her face, she cut and ran.

She is not the first to hate doing press and won’t be the last. However, she knows full well the requirements of the job. She is not different or more special than anyone else. You enjoy the perks, you must also acknowledge the obligations and responsibilities that come with it. Otherwise, get an average 9 to 5 and go play tennis on the weekend. Give up the perks $$$, but will have your privacy. Furthermore, if it were truly that deep, pull a Marshawn Lynch and be done with it.

She is getting no sympathy from me only because I feel she is using mental health to cover her insecurities and garner sympathy. Had this happened at the USO or AO, then I would be inclined to believe their is a legit issue. However, it’s coming on a surface she has had little success on, already has a negative mindset toward, and I think her sister admitted someone already voiced negative thoughts to her about her game on clay. Bashing the press was an easy target to deflect from her own already fragile mental state on clay.
Did she? Pretty sure she read the rules. Gotta break eggs to make an omelette.

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » May Mon 31, 2021 7:50 pm

Grossefavourite wrote:
May Mon 31, 2021 7:44 pm
Did she? Pretty sure she read the rules. Gotta break eggs to make an omelette.
So you’re saying this was indeed calculated on her part?

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » May Mon 31, 2021 8:23 pm

Pyotr wrote:
May Mon 31, 2021 7:50 pm
So you’re saying this was indeed calculated on her part?
“The person who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The person who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever seen before.” - Albert Einstein

serenarulz09
Senior
Senior

Post by serenarulz09 » May Mon 31, 2021 8:50 pm

She needs to retire. If the stress and pressure of a press conference gets to her she doesn’t need to be playing the game of tennis.