Tournaments this week

THIEM...Wow! Seems Selfish.

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
THIEM...Wow! Seems Selfish.

Post by Grossefavourite » Apr Mon 27, 2020 2:56 pm

Coronavirus: Thiem dismisses tennis relief fund - Why should I give to such people?
OmnisportApril 26, 2020, 9:23 AM EDT

Australian Open finalist Dominic Thiem has poured scorn on plans for a tennis coronavirus relief fund by saying he will only help out people "that really need it".

World number three Thiem doubts any tennis players will be truly suffering from the break in competition, and said there are competitors down the rankings who lack commitment.

Handouts are likely to be directed to those outside the top 250 on the men's tour, with the fund to be managed by the ATP and WTA, which run the men's and women's tours.

The plan was first revealed by Novak Djokovic, the ATP player council president and world number one.

It has been backed by Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, with leading players urged to pay more into the pot than those lower down the rankings, with the aim of building a multi-million dollar fund.

The professional tennis tours, including those at a low level, are on hold until mid-July at the earliest, with Wimbledon cancelled and the French Open postponed until a late-September start.

But Austrian Thiem does not like the idea of giving up his own money, telling the Kronen Zeitung newspaper: "I know the Futures Tour and played there for two years. There are a lot of people who don't give everything to sport.

"I don't see why I should give money to such people. I would prefer to donate to people or institutions that really need it."

Thiem, 26, who has career on-court earnings approaching $24million, added: "None of us top people got it as a gift. We had to fight our way up.

"I'm not guaranteed in any profession to make a lot of money at some point.

"No tennis players are fighting for survival, not even the ones down below. Nobody has to starve."

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: THIEM...Wow! Seems Selfish.

Post by djmm1962 » Apr Mon 27, 2020 3:59 pm

Lord Have Mercy!!

This is the second time he said something outrageous.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Apr Mon 27, 2020 4:00 pm

The young tennis players need assistance. SMH!!

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Apr Tue 28, 2020 5:38 am

I am not gonna make myself popular, but I agree with Thiem.

Being a tennis player is a luxury; I like watching tennis, and tennis players provide some relaxation to spectators, but hitting against a ball is not a proper job :-)

I can think of tens of thousands of people who need the financial support more (and who are more entitled to it in my opinion). If Thiem decides to support those people, then that is absolutely fine for me.
(If he does not support anyone, then of course he is a selfish, rich (and spoilt) brat)
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Apr Tue 28, 2020 5:39 am

I am not gonna make myself popular, but I agree with Thiem.

Being a tennis player is a luxury; I like watching tennis, and tennis players provide some relaxation to spectators, but hitting against a ball is not a proper job :-)

I can think of tens of thousands of people who need the financial support more (and who are more entitled to it in my opinion). If Thiem decides to support those people, then that is absolutely fine for me.
(If he does not support anyone, then of course he is a selfish, rich (and spoilt) brat)
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Apr Tue 28, 2020 6:29 am

He can do both, Grav, I mean the ATP has been good to him and his $24M!! I can't stand people who don't turn around and help people behind them. If I discover that about you, I'd never have anything else to do with you!!

Plus, karma, and God don't like ugly!!

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Apr Tue 28, 2020 6:30 am

If I purchase something online, I always check the "donate a dollar" at checkout!!

sekasi
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by sekasi » Apr Tue 28, 2020 10:25 am

djmm1962 wrote:
Apr Mon 27, 2020 4:00 pm
The young tennis players need assistance. SMH!!
He is willing to help but not through the channel provided, he says:

"I don't see why I should give money to such people. I would prefer to donate to people or institutions that really need it."

And he says he has been on the challenger tour and knows first hand most guys don't work hard. He has a good point, I think for him, he would rather identify specific people and organizations to give to.

Let's take an example of USA, most corporations tell employees to donate to United Way, I refuse to donate to such organizations. So, I am not going to throw any rocks at Thiem, he has his reasons. :)

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Apr Tue 28, 2020 4:00 pm

sekasi wrote:
Apr Tue 28, 2020 10:25 am
Let's take an example of USA, most corporations tell employees to donate to United Way, I refuse to donate to such organizations. So, I am not going to throw any rocks at Thiem, he has his reasons. :)
The reason I refused to participate in the United Way deal is that they force it down our throats, trying to shame anyone that doesn't participate.
They set it up so that they take it straight from the paycheck, at the source. They go through every department, every division, every sub-group, through HR and the various supervisors. It's insane. It's like an organized mafia.

The first year I started working in this company, there was so much pressure, in your face, to sign up. I did.
One day I was casually discussing it with a guy that's been there for a while. I don't remember how the discussion started. But he hated the whole setup so he stopped.
The following year, when they started their pressure campaign, I simply said NO. lol lol lol. Every year since, I just ignore their mails, deadlines, meetings, etc..

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Apr Tue 28, 2020 6:42 pm

sekasi wrote:
Apr Tue 28, 2020 10:25 am
He is willing to help but not through the channel provided, he says:

And he says he has been on the challenger tour and knows first hand most guys don't work hard. He has a good point, I think for him, he would rather identify specific people and organizations to give to.

No, he was being a nasty a**hole, and as I said, he can afford to do both!!

I gave to United Way through monthly contributions, but I designated to local places in my community. I checked to see they received it too :wink:

As for lazy challenger players ~ If you don't have "it" you don't have it. Agassi didn't (worked off natural talent) until Sampras cleaned his clock repeatedly :lol: Got Gil, and all was good ... Practice makes perfect!!