Tournaments this week

NAOMI v Bianca

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
NAOMI v Bianca

Post by Grossefavourite » Oct Thu 03, 2019 12:26 pm

They'll both come out fighting, the last two USO victors defeating Serena an route.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: NAOMI v Bianca

Post by Grossefavourite » Oct Thu 03, 2019 12:37 pm

Naomi Osaka hits back at Japanese comedians’ “too sunburned” comment

Witty response proves Osaka isn’t just a tennis pro, she’s a marketing queen.

Last week, Ai Murakami and Aiko Kanou, who make up the Japanese comedy duo A Masso, issued a public apology after they came under fire for their comedy routine, where they said tennis pro Naomi Osaka needed “bleach” for being “too sunburned”.

▼ A Masso

While attendees at the comedy event were appalled by the insensitive comments, Osaka and her management team remained quiet on the issue. That all changed yesterday, though, when Osaka fired back on her official Twitter account with this witty response:

NaomiOsaka大坂なおみ

@Naomi_Osaka_
“Too sunburned” lol that’s wild. Little did they know, with Shiseido anessa perfect uv sunscreen I never get sunburned 😊😊😊

TokyoReporter
@tokyoreporter
Duo apologizes after saying Osaka ‘needs bleach’ http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201909250053.html

View image on Twitter
5:13 AM - Sep 29, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
15.2K people are talking about this
That’s right – Osaka and her team chose to use the comedians’ comments to their advantage by serving up a plug for Shiseido Anessa Perfect UV Sunscreen. After all, Osaka became a brand ambassador for Shiseido and sang the praises of their Anessa sunscreen in November last year.

Like her moves on the tennis court, Osaka’s response was well-timed and perfectly delivered, earning her praise from people around the world, who left adoring comments like:

“Shade, and a product plug in one tweet? Incredible.”
“Best reply!!! Best humor!!! LOVE!!!”
“This response is a masterclass in public relations.”
“Expert level brand ambassador!”
“Classic reply. I’ll never understand why people can’t just focus on talent and nothing else.”

It really is a shame that Osaka’s mixed heritage has become such a talking point in Japan, where she’s often pressed by journalists to speak in Japanese, and was even whitewashed in a commercial for noodle brand Nissin.

However, it is nice to see that regardless of what comes her way, Osaka knows how to return serve with style and class. No wonder big brands like Nissan, Yonex, Citizen and Nike love her. And after her queen-worthy, hair-flick response to those narrow-minded comments on the weekend, we love her even more too!

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Oct Thu 03, 2019 12:39 pm

Naomi Osaka Was the Buyer of Nick Jonas’s Sleek L.A. Bachelor Pad

In early August, it was reported that Nick Jonas had quietly offloaded his minimalist abode for $6.91 million, just a year after he purchased it for $6.5 million. At the time, because the deal happened off-market, the buyer of the 4,129-square-foot pad was a mystery, but Variety now reports that it was in fact Naomi Osaka, the young tennis pro who famously beat out Serena Williams at the U.S. Open last year at just 21 years of age. Osaka is currently ranked No. 4 in women’s singles, and is the first Japanese player to ever win a Grand Slam.

The ultraprivate home seems like a great spot for the athlete to put down some L.A. roots. Set behind high walls, and extra secure with cameras throughout the property, the house is accessible through a wooden driveway gate that further ensures privacy and security. The sprawling home was originally built in 1965, but was significantly renovated in 2015 by L.A. nightlife entrepreneur Jason Lev, who worked with architecture firm SPACE International and the design team at Ground Up LA to reimagine the mid-century home as one of sleek, modern luxury. It features five bedrooms and four-and-a-half bedrooms with floor-to-ceiling glass doors, wide plank oak floors, and luxurious Machiche hardwood paneling throughout.

Rooms of note include the spacious great room, which features a chic hematite fireplace anchoring the living area. The space is brightly lit thanks to a high ceiling with clerestory windows and an entire wall of glass sliders that can be pushed into the walls for maximum indoor-outdoor living. The nearby kitchen is also impressive, with white cabinetry, stainless steel Miele appliances, and a center breakfast island. It, too, features a wall of glass sliders leading to the backyard.

A combination library/family room is located behind the great room, and boasts entire walls of built-in bookshelves and a large flat-screen TV. The remainder of the home is dedicated to the bedrooms, including a master with an impressive glass and marble bathroom. Out back, there is a massive wooden deck cantilevered over the side of the hill, with room enough for a giant patch of grassy lawn, an infinity pool with spa, and a covered walkway to a separate two-story guesthouse with its own bedroom suite, office, and private gym.

Jonas wed actress Priyanka Chopra in December, and it has been reported that the couple is currently searching for a new nest to call their own.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Oct Thu 03, 2019 12:41 pm

Bianca Andreescu: 'I forgot how it feels to lose'

Bianca Andreescu won all the 14 last matches she has played in. Speaking after her three-set victory over Aliaksandra Sasnovich in Beijing, the Canadian player said: "I don't want to sound like cocky or anything, but I kind of forgot how it feels to lose, which I think is a good thing.

When I do visualize and meditate, I always make sure to feel the feeling of myself winning. It's good that I forgot about the other feeling (smiling)." On how it felt like to win the US Open, Andreescu added: "It was definitely motivating.

After being off for, like, only four or five days, I just wanted to get back into the rhythm of things. It's a habit right now for me, being in the gym, being on the court. I definitely would rather play a tournament than train, honestly.

I was definitely looking forward to coming here and finishing off the year strong." Andreescu also recalled the recent match she played against Elise Mertens, her next opponent, at the US Open: "I think that was the toughest match of the tournament for me.

I'm going to go into it like I do every other match. I kind of have an idea of how she plays, she knows how I play now. I think it will be a tough battle no matter what. What I was doing well at the US Open when I was winning the points was I putting pressure right from the start of the point. Hopefully I can do that on Wednesday. I don't think I play tomorrow, so..."

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Oct Thu 03, 2019 1:01 pm

I like both players ... but Naomi a bit more.
But Naomi, I am going to warn you. Tell the ref that Bianca must take off that voodoo charm she is wearing on her right arm. Witchcraft should not be allowed in tennis.
You MUST demand she takes it off to make it a fair match.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Oct Thu 03, 2019 1:27 pm

8:00 a.m. stateside Midwest starting time for their match. No sleep lost watching this match tomorrow morning....... :)

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Oct Thu 03, 2019 1:50 pm

First time meeting. I'm picking.....Naomi....barely.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Oct Thu 03, 2019 2:26 pm

BEIJING: ANDREESCU TO FACE OSAKA; ZVEREV, TSITSIPAS JOIN IN QUARTERS
Of the four young stars, the 21-year-old Greek is the only player who was pushed to three sets.

By Ashley Ndebele

Young stars Bianca Andreescu, Alexander Zverev and Stefanos Tsitsipas all moved into the quarterfinals of the China Open in Beijing on Thursday.

US Open champion Andreescu routed Jennifer Brady, 6-1, 6-3, to extend her winning streak to 17 matches. The Canadian teen next faces another young star, Naomi Osaka, who defeated Alison Riske, 6-4, 6-0. The Australian Open champion is coming off a title victory on her home soil in Osaka, Japan—her first trophy since claiming her second career Grand Slam in January.

"I'm feeling more excited than usual. I wanted to play her ever since she did so well at the US Open and Australian Open,” said Andreescu. “I'm really happy that I get to play [Osaka] tomorrow because I think it's going to be a lot of fun."

Zalvar
Regular
Regular

Post by Zalvar » Oct Thu 03, 2019 11:45 pm

Go, Osaka!

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Oct Fri 04, 2019 7:58 am

Ace2Ace wrote:
Oct Thu 03, 2019 1:01 pm
I like both players ... but Naomi a bit more.
But Naomi, I am going to warn you. Tell the ref that Bianca must take off that voodoo charm she is wearing on her right arm. Witchcraft should not be allowed in tennis.
You MUST demand she takes it off to make it a fair match.
I can't watch so please let me know if Andreescu took off the voodoo charm... .