All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
VEKIC Warns Hyped Starlets

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Wed 14, 2019 6:29 pm

VEKIC WARNS YOUNG STARS THAT REACHING THE TOP IS NOT AN EASY CLIMB

Former phenom Donna Vekic has a warning for today's young stars—it won't be a straight climb to the top.

The 22-year-old Croatian reached her first WTA final at 16 and won her first title at 17, but didn't get her second until she was 21 years old. But now, Vekic says she has found more consistency and will break into the top 30 for the first time following her semifinal appearance at Brisbane this week.

“You see all these young girls now. I don't want to name any names, but they're winning,” Vekic said. “They're like, they have the hype. And I'm like, oh, you have no idea what's in store for you. It's almost never happens. There's ups and downs in every career, every sport. Not only in sport, in life. And I think I've already gone through that, and to say I've already gone through that at 22, I think is pretty good. So I hope it's going to be a little bit more stable now.”

“I think now I'm a little bit more calm, because I know that if I do the work off the court, maybe it won't come the first week, but it'll come in one month, two months or six months, but it's going to come, because if you do the right things and if you work hard, I don't think you can not play well,” she said.

Zalvar
Regular
Regular

Re: VEKIC Warns Hyped Starlets

Post by Zalvar » Aug Thu 15, 2019 10:07 am

*camera pans to bouchard*

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Aug Thu 15, 2019 10:24 am

I totally agree with Vekic :-)

Been saying since 2015-2016 that the time to shine for the 1997-generation was 2020 onwards... before that, it was/is expected to be an up-and-down road... So it is almost money-time for Bencic-Osaka-Ostapenko)Kasatkina.
Vekic is a year older than them, so for her it is 2019 that is the benchmark. I cna see her end in the top16 - she more or less would do what we expected from her.

Gauff? her time to shine is like 2026-2027. Alt that comes earlier is a nice-to-have, but do not expect consistency.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Thu 15, 2019 2:37 pm

Vee agrees.