All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
LOL: Woz' Dad's Advice On Playing VENUS

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Sat 10, 2019 10:13 pm

Caroline Wozniacki shares conversation with dad about Williams sisters

Caroline Wozniacki has a close relationship with Serena Williams. The Dane is a big American player's friend and they often faced each other on the professional tour. Wozniacki said: "I remember playing juniors. And I remember being maybe 10, 11 years old, and, you know, I would play a girl and I would think she had a big serve.

And my dad would always say, You're not playing Venus or Serena. This girl doesn't have a big serve, so just suck it up and play. And I was like, Okay, okay. And that mentally got me through a lot until the first time I played Venus.

And I think I was maybe 16 or 17, and I was like, Dad, so what am I supposed to do now? I know this girl has a big serve. I'm playing Venus. He's like, Yeah, can't help you there. Good luck. So that was kind of my experience.

If I remember correctly, I want to the say I played her in Tokyo 2006 maybe. If I remember correctly, I was up 4-1 in the first set and then I lost 6-4, and then I lost the second set. But, yeah, that was kind of my first experience.

I think you always want to play the best players in the game and you want to have that experience to measure yourself up against them and know what you need to do to get there. But once you've done that, you want to go far in tournaments and you want to play the best players as late as possible."