Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
Re: NAOMI, New No.1

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Fri 16, 2019 9:00 am

Let's hope Pliskova fails.

Barty, Osaka, Pliskova Battle For No. 1
by Staff | August 15th, 2019, 11:19 pm

....World No. 1 Naomi Osaka outlasted Su-Wei Hsieh 7-6(3), 5-7, 6-2. She’ll now face Sofia Kenin who beat Elina Svitolina for a second straight week.

“I thought I did pretty well,” Osaka said. “I feel like I knew going into the match that she was going to play really well. Like, we have such long matches every time we play, so I wasn’t expecting anything different this time around.”

Karolina Pliskova kept pace with Osaka for the No. 1 ranking beating Rebecca Petereson 7-5, 6-4. She’ll get Svetlana Kuznetsova who destroyed the struggling Sloane Stephens 6-1, 6-2.

Also in the top ranking hunt is Ash Barty and she also pulled through winning the last four games to beat Anett Kontaveit 4-6, 7-5, 7-5.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Aug Fri 16, 2019 9:02 am

#1 belongs to Serena or Osaka.
The rest should chill. They can't serve under pressure. they can't return under pressure. They can't put the opponent's serve under pressure. ... Not exciting when there is no palpable killer instinct.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Aug Fri 16, 2019 9:54 am

Grossefavourite wrote:
Aug Sat 10, 2019 8:14 am
djmm1962 wrote:
Aug Fri 09, 2019 8:29 pm
Enjoy!!

:lol:

Naomi better work on her confidence!!
She always looks downtrodden, depressed as she's mentioned in her interviews after winning her GS titles.

Yeah, like it's a Japanese cultural thing or something. She needs to blossom and enjoy it, to heck with the humble mopey crap!!

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Fri 16, 2019 9:57 am

djmm1962 wrote:
Aug Fri 16, 2019 9:54 am
Grossefavourite wrote:
Aug Sat 10, 2019 8:14 am

She always looks downtrodden, depressed as she's mentioned in her interviews after winning her GS titles.

Yeah, like it's a Japanese cultural thing or something. She needs to blossom and enjoy it, to heck with the humble mopey crap!!
The leaping BH and the pirouette during the match told me she was enjoying the match. Plus, she did smile too.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Fri 16, 2019 3:08 pm

Whew! No Pliskova at No.1. Beaten by Kuznetsova.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Aug Fri 16, 2019 5:03 pm

Ace2Ace wrote:
Aug Fri 16, 2019 9:02 am
#1 belongs to Serena or Osaka.
The rest should chill. They can't serve under pressure. they can't return under pressure. They can't put the opponent's serve under pressure. ... Not exciting when there is no palpable killer instinct.
totally disagree (but that is me).

Serena in her comeback is not a #1... won not a single event, gets injured whenever forced to play several matches in a row without a day of rest, not able to dominate lower-ranked players as she used to (players that struggled to win 2 games, now take her to 3 sets all of the time), and when she faces top players that do not fold over but make her work for points, make her move and do not gift her UE's, she loses - sometimes badly (see to slam finals that she reached by beating one top20 player, only to get schooled in the final).

Osaka: that girl her ranking is based on two slam wins: watch her crash down in the ranking after the US Open, an even more after the AO. I would be surprised if she still is top 10 after A02020. Her record since the AO'19 is not even worth top 20. Since that event, she managed to win a pathetic 1170 points over a 7 month period (february-august). A W:L record of 17-11 in 11 events, including 2 slams, three Prem.Mand and four Prem.5. That girl is slumping, and as she had to retire today, it's not looking good for defending those 2000 US Open points.

Barty it the real #1. And the live rankings reflect that.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

CrossCourtBH
Junior
Junior

Post by CrossCourtBH » Aug Fri 16, 2019 5:38 pm

oh really she retired?
I started watching but soon after stopped as I can't stand the wta silent movies of recent...
no sound - wondering if/when this issue is ever going to get fixed.

Somehow @ Grav I agree with your prognosis re Naomi - but perhaps she'll rally at later point

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Aug Fri 16, 2019 7:53 pm

Serena and Osaka have been the most dominant players in the last, let's say 6 slams. To me, slams is was counts.
The others show up once, get a lucky win and disappear. For me, no matter their current rankings, they are MY #1.

Barty and Bertens are just consistent, not that good. They make very little UEs. With everyone being error prone, those girl look almighty. In other words, they don't beat themselves.

Wozniacki was once #1 for being simply consistently error-free.
I'll be glad if Kuzzy knocks out the nice Aussie girl. I like Barty but not as #1.
The "real" #1 are not wearing the yellow jersey right now. Unlike some fans, I don't find Barty's game that exciting. :) specially because of that boring backhand. If Osaka was playing at the same time, my choice would be to watch Osaka's serves and returns. It's beautiful.
This US Open, I am expecting both Serena and Osaka to do well. (Well, if Osaka's injury is minor :( :( :( )

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Aug Sat 17, 2019 7:14 am

Osaka: 14 slam appearances.

two wins, once in R4, and for the rest never into week 2.
Last two slams - when becoming the hunted: a R3 and a R1 loss...

The girl can't even win a mickey mouse event. She and Ostapenko are completely useless to deal with their unexpected successes; if they are not careful, they end up becoming the next Bouchard. Peaking for six months and then nothing... litterally nothing for Osaka to back up those two runs. Straight set losses in 2019 to Putintseva (twice; maybe she is the real #1 as it happened at a slam), Bencic (twice), Mladenovic (twice), Siniakova, Tsurenko.

Barty already has won twice as many WTA events in comparison to Osaka in her career. And already had a career-break.

Barty in 2019:
Final Sydney
QF AO
Winner Miami
QF Madrid
Winner Roland Garros
Winner Birmingham
minimum SF in Cinci

Undoubtedly superior to Osaka in 2019. Time for Naomi to get kicked out of the top10 and re-invent herself. Barty winning later today and becoming #1 for the rest of the year would be a blessing for WTA. Finally a #1 that performs and delivers all the time.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Sat 17, 2019 12:34 pm

The WTA should rent a No.1 from the ATP because they have three legit No. 1s.