All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
BAD BLOOD: Serena v Strycova

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Tue 09, 2019 11:36 am

Barbora Strycova Rips Serena Williams for Overstepping, Says It's 'Bulls--t'

SEPTEMBER 14, 2018

NEW YORK, NY - SEPTEMBER 08: Serena Williams of the United States argues with umpire Carlos Ramos after her defeat in the Women's Singles finals match to Naomi Osaka of Japan on Day Thirteen of the 2018 US Open at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on September 8, 2018 in the Flushing neighborhood of the Queens borough of New York City. (Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images)

Barbora Strycova was not a fan of Serena Williams at the 2018 U.S. Open final.

Williams was involved in multiple confrontations with chair umpire Carlos Ramos in last Saturday's match, which she lost to Naomi Osaka in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4. The 23-time Grand Slam champion made it clear she believed Ramos had been sexist.

Strycova isn't buying that, per Czech website Sport.CZ (h/t Andrew Hendrie of Live Tennis):

"This is a bulls--t, for umpires being women or men doesn't matter. In comparison, I never saw [Rafael] Nadal shouting like that with an umpire.

"Ramos is tough, one of the best umpires in the world. He did what he had to do in that match, because she overstepped the limit.

"Did she have to behave differently only because she was Serena Williams? I find it interesting that she did it only when she was losing."

Williams was called for three violations during the final: for allegedly receiving coaching from the stands, for smashing her racket and for calling Ramos a "thief," which cost her a game.

Embedded video

espnW

@espnW
"I don't cheat to win. I'd rather lose."

—Serena to the chair umpire after receiving a coaching violation

5:10 PM - Sep 8, 2018
8,902 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Embedded video

ESPN

@espn
"You owe me an apology!"

Serena was fired up with the official in the final set of the US Open final.

6:13 PM - Sep 8, 2018
31K people are talking about this
Williams noted to a referee that men have gotten away with more without receiving penalties and later addressed the topic of sexism during her post-match press conference:

Embedded video

ESPN

@espn
"I've seen other men call other umpires several things. And I'm here fighting for women's rights and for women's equality."

7:44 PM - Sep 8, 2018
4,323 people are talking about this
The Women's Tennis Association issued a statement in support of Serena.

"The WTA believes that there should be no difference in the standards of tolerance provided to the emotions expressed by men vs. women and is committed to working with the sport to ensure that all players are treated the same. We do not believe that this was done last night," chief executive Steve Simon said.

Strycova, the 25th-ranked player in the world, said she was surprised by the WTA's support of Serena.

rex
Commish
Commish

Re: BAD BLOOD: Serena v Strycova

Post by rex » Jul Tue 09, 2019 11:50 am

Odd...... I haven't seen Ramos this year, men's nor ladies' events.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Tue 09, 2019 11:59 am

rex wrote:
Jul Tue 09, 2019 11:50 am
Odd...... I haven't seen Ramos this year, men's nor ladies' events.
In therapy like Serena?

Spvxv0
Novice
Novice

Post by Spvxv0 » Jul Tue 09, 2019 4:51 pm

Just got back from Wimbledon yesterday. Ramos is there. I saw him in one of the doubles matches in an outer court. Also present in one of the women's doubles was the Asian lines judge who said Serena threatened to kill her in the infamous 2009 semi's against Clisters. The moment I saw her, I said to my friend 'omg, she is the one from 2009 Serena US open match'. I think she heard me as she made eye contact with me, right at that moment. Was one of the outer courts, so was very close to her when I said that. She has gained some weight since 2009 it seemed, but it was her.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Tue 09, 2019 5:01 pm

LOL... You guys are funny. I would not recognize any of these linesmen even if they were sitting by me on a airplane. :)

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Wed 10, 2019 6:20 am

I'd know each them!! Even the umpire who lost count in Venus' match then gave the camera a eyebrow raise!!

Hey, didn't Venus punk Barbora after a match once?? Venus asked her if she had a problem, LOL, and Barbora said no and scurried away!! Gangsta Vee :)

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Wed 10, 2019 10:31 am

Yikes, Ree lost her MD but Strycova won her WD, so they're heading to their semi clash with a different state of mind.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Wed 10, 2019 10:41 am

Serena only has the singles on her mind now!! A good thing :)

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Wed 10, 2019 11:25 am

djmm1962 wrote:
Jul Wed 10, 2019 10:41 am
Serena only has the singles on her mind now!! A good thing :)
Hope so. I fear a Vinci moment. They last played at AO17 and it could've gone either way.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Wed 10, 2019 4:36 pm

djmm1962 wrote:
Jul Wed 10, 2019 6:20 am
Hey, didn't Venus punk Barbora after a match once?? Venus asked her if she had a problem, LOL, and Barbora said no and scurried away!! Gangsta Vee :)
I remember that one. :)