All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
SERENA Apologizes To Osaka, Enters Therapy

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Tue 09, 2019 11:16 am

Serena finds 'peace' after apologizing to Osaka

Serena Williams says she sent an apology to Naomi Osaka for her behavior in last year's US Open final.

Williams, who reached the Wimbledon semifinals on Tuesday, said in a Harper's Bazaar magazine article that she wrote to Osaka after not being able to "find peace."

"I started seeing a therapist. I was searching for answers, and although I felt like I was making progress, I still wasn't ready to pick up a racket," Williams said. "Finally I realized that there was only one way for me to move forward. It was time for me to apologize to the person who deserved it the most."

Williams said she told the Japanese player she was a fan and that she was "truly sorry."

Osaka answered the message, Williams said.

"When Naomi's response came through, tears rolled down my face," she said.

Williams was given three code violations by chair umpire Carlos Ramos in the US Open final, resulting in the loss of a game. The first came as a result of what Ramos deemed coaching from her box. The second was for smashing her racket, costing her a point. And the third came after she called Ramos "a thief."

rex
Commish
Commish

Re: SERENA Apologizes To Osaka, Enters Therapy

Post by rex » Jul Tue 09, 2019 1:02 pm

This was Naomi's response to Serena, made Serena weep in response:

“People can misunderstand anger for strength because they can’t differentiate between the two,” she said graciously. “No one has stood up for themselves the way you have and you need to continue trailblazing.”

Beautifully, thoughtfully and respectfully expressed, loving her idol......

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: SERENA Apologizes To Osaka, Enters Therapy

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Wed 10, 2019 8:49 am