All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
SERENA Attacked Again!

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Thu 04, 2019 2:18 pm

Wimbledon 2019: Sam Groth slammed for spicy Serena Williams-Ash Barty hot take

Former Australian tennis player Sam Groth is getting hammered online for a fiery opinion piece he penned attacking Serena Williams.

Groth, who retired from the sport in 2017, took exception to the fact that Williams didn't know Barty had climbed to the top of the WTA rankings.

Writing in the Herald Sun, the 31-year-old - who reached a career-high ranking of 53 - called 23-time Grand Slam champion Williams a disgrace.

"As one of the biggest names in tennis, what Serena said was pretty shitty," Groth wrote.

MORE: Kyrgios spotted at the pub ahead of Nadal showdown | Cash compares Kyrgios to Kournikova

"Claiming she didn't know Ash was number one - I don't care if it was a genuine error or not. In fact if it was genuine it's actually worse.

"You're the one of the most recognisable athletes on the planet and you can't tell me who the number one player in your sport is? It's disgraceful and not a good look for your sport."

Groth was also offended by the compliments Williams gave Barty when she was asked about the Aussie rising to world number one.

"Everyone wants to pump Ash up and rightly so but Serena going on about how nice she thinks Ash is? Her remarks were derogatory," he wrote.

Watch Wimbledon LIVE on Kayo Sports! Start your 14 day FREE trial today.

"Talking about Ash as a nice person - which she is of course - but she's the best tennis player in the world and you didn't know it.

"She gave her no credit for the achievement."

Groth continued, saying Williams hadn't done anything to grow the sport.

The column was met with instant derision from tennis fans around the world.

Emily Benammar

@EmilyBenammar
· Jul 3, 2019
She’s might be the greatest of all time — but Serena Williams has exposed herself as a disgrace with a shockingly selfish approach to a game which has given her so much, and the way she spoke of Barty was derogatory via @SamGrothTennis http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tenni ... 1e949f6456

Groth: ‘Sh**ty’ Serena’s a disgrace to our Ash
I thought Serena Williams’ reaction to Ash Barty becoming world No.1 last week was an absolute disgrace.

heraldsun.com.au

Mike
@mzolllo
Sam Groth: A shitty tennis player and a shitty writer. What a piece of *****

6:18 PM - Jul 3, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See Mike's other Tweets

Amy Fetherolf
@AmyFetherolf
Sam Groth is about as good of a writer as he was a tennis player.

4:21 PM - Jul 3, 2019
See Amy Fetherolf's other Tweets

Matt Dowell
@TheMattDowell
· Jul 3, 2019
Serena’s “derogatory” remarks about Ash Barty:

“Idk anyone who has anything negative to say about her. She’s the sweetest, cutest girl on tour. She’s so nice. Has such a beautiful game. Such classic shots. I mean, she does everything right. Her technique, like flawless.”

Emily Benammar

@EmilyBenammar
She’s might be the greatest of all time — but Serena Williams has exposed herself as a disgrace with a shockingly selfish approach to a game which has given her so much, and the way she spoke of Barty was derogatory via @SamGrothTennis http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tenni ... 1e949f6456

Linda
@MissJLinda
lol Sam Groth loves Andy Murray for knowing his results in the challengers and dislikes Serena because she didn't know Barty was world number one....dude needs to STFU and get a life!!

3:50 PM - Jul 3, 2019
See Linda's other Tweets

🎾🌸Vicki Gorman🌼🎾
@VickiGorman5
Replying to @TheMattDowell
It’s sad that certain people love tearing a women down for just living her life. I 100% believe that Serena doesn’t pay attention to who is #1 this week, next week or the week after that🙄 Sam Groth can go kick rocks.

1:44 PM - Jul 3, 2019
See 🎾🌸Vicki Gorman🌼🎾's other Tweets

Embedded video

Kevin Darvish
@kevindarvish
Sam Groth?

1:28 PM - Jul 3, 2019
See Kevin Darvish's other Tweets

Embedded video

Swetha
@shevarafa
Sam Groth. I’d forgotten about you and I wish it’d stay that way. 🚮

12:50 PM - Jul 3, 2019
See Swetha's other Tweets

Andrew Atkinson
@atkinsonfasho
Was Sam Groth outraged when Giorgi said she doesn't follow women's tennis? Just wondering.

12:49 PM - Jul 3, 2019
See Andrew Atkinson's other Tweets

Sam 🗼🏆🥇
@top__tennis
loll i think sam groth ran this through a clickbait filter to attract as much controversy as possible. disgusting way to establish your post retirement career my man. go take a journalism ethics class

Emily Benammar

@EmilyBenammar

12:40 PM - Jul 3, 2019
See Sam 🗼🏆🥇's other Tweets

Embedded video

Dima
@panicmode_on
I see Sam Groth's "journalism" is no better than his tennis....

11:38 AM - Jul 3, 2019
See Dima's other Tweets

Kimberly A. Woodard
@BeingKimmie
Replying to @EmilyBenammar @SamGrothTennis
Sam Groth is a freaking idiot, one who’s tennis was an absolute disgrace to Tennis (I hope you see what I did there) and so are you for repeating his bile. Absolutely fed up with you people coming for #Serena over nonsense, riding her for clicks and clout. Bleep the bleep off.

10:54 AM - Jul 3, 2019
See Kimberly A. Woodard's other Tweets

Anthony Webb
@anthonyqld
This is a really shitty article. I expected more from Sam Groth #Tennis #wimbledon

Emily Benammar

@EmilyBenammar

10:20 AM - Jul 3, 2019
See Anthony Webb's other Tweets

Joan Callas
@ghostofhypotia
This article is badly written and dishonest. Sam Groth is a moron.

Telegraph Sport

@telegraph_sport
In his #EXCLUSIVE column, SAM GROTH has unloaded on Serena Williams, saying the 23-time grand slam champ has exposed herself as a disgrace https://bit.ly/302YEYA

8:54 AM - Jul 3, 2019
See Joan Callas's other Tweets

Other commenters hated the fact that Groth felt like he needed to stand up for Barty.

Andrew Atkinson
@atkinsonfasho
Why does Sam Groth think Ash Barty, the WTA #1, needs a retired male to speak for her? If she has a problem, which I doubt she does, she's more than capable of speaking for herself.

2:58 PM - Jul 3, 2019
21 people are talking about this

🌱Asparagus Grasscourterer🌱
@samstennis189
Replying to @samstennis189
Sam Groth showing up uninvited to “defend” Ash Barty from all the nice things Rena had to say about her pic.twitter.com/WeWFsvBrUP

2:32 PM - Jul 3, 2019
See 🌱Asparagus Grasscourterer🌱's other Tweets

There were even tennis fans who started to turn on Barty because of Groth's comments.

Embedded video

Kimberly A. Woodard
@BeingKimmie
Word is bond Australian journos, Aussie #tennis fans and dumb ass Sam Groth, have me “thisclose” to being done with Ash #Barty. It would be a shame because I’ve cheered her on for quite some time, but I’m over the #Serena slander and latest FAUXtroversy. So stupid.#Wimbledon

12:56 PM - Jul 3, 2019
See Kimberly A. Woodard's other Tweets

Barty and Williams will both be back on court overnight for their second round Wimbledon matches.

Barty takes on Belgium's Alison Van Uytvanck while Williams plays Kaja Juvan.

8 Cars So Cool It's Hard to Believe They Cost Under $20k
Auto Enthusiast | Search Ads
|
Sponsored
People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistakes
SmartAsset
|
Sponsored
How Far Does $1 Million Go in Retirement?
Fisher Investments
|
Sponsored
Switch and save an average of $699. Savings make me smile.
Progressive
|
Sponsored
Wimbledon 2019: Rafael Nadal ‘f***ing does what he wants’, complains Nick Kyrgios in grudge match
Wimbledon 2019: Bernard Tomic fined $56k prize money after 58-minute loss
The Chipotle Ordering Secret You Need To Know
Wikibuy
|
Sponsored
Wimbledon 2019: Bernard Tomic fined $81,000 over embarrassing first round loss
Wimbledon 2019: Ashleigh Barty cruises into third round with straight sets win over Alison van Uytvanck
You're Probably Overpaying at Amazon – This Genius Trick Will Fix That
Honey
|
Sponsored

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: SERENA Attacked Again!

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Mon 08, 2019 8:15 am

Ashleigh Barty beaten at Wimbledon 2019 by Alison Riske

Australia's world number one Ashleigh Barty has been knocked out of Wimbledon, losing her fourth-round match against American Alison Riske.

World number 55 Riske fought back from a set down to win 3-6 6-2 6-3 in one hour 36 minutes on court two to reach a first Grand Slam quarter-final.

French Open champion Barty, 23, had not dropped a set at the tournament.

Riske will face the winner of seven-time champion Serena Williams' match with Spain's Carla Suarez Navarro.

"I couldn't begin to say what it means to me. To have overcome the matches the way I have is what I'm most excited about," said Riske, 29.

"Getting to the quarter-finals is amazing but what's most exciting for me is the way I've been fighting.

"The grass definitely brings out the best in me. Hopefully it will rub off and happen in other places too. I think my game is just well suited to it."

Barty set the early tone as she took the opening game with four successive aces, before a delightful sliced backhand set up break points as the Australian raced into a 4-1 lead.

Unshaken, Riske - who won the pair's only previous meeting in 2016 - brought the set back on serve, only for the world number one to take the final two games and pocket the opener in 32 minutes.

The American rallied in the second set, breaking Barty's faltering serve twice more as the momentum was swiftly stolen away from the Australian.

And, despite losing just 12 games in her opening three matches, Barty was unable to prevent a resurgent Riske continuing her best Wimbledon run as the American made a crucial break at 4-3 in the deciding set.

All four of Riske's matches have gone the distance, with other notable victories coming against 13th seed Belinda Bencic and 22nd seed Donna Vekic during her impressive run.

"I love being at Wimbledon. Today I told my fiance, 'I don't want Wimbledon to end'," said Riske.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Wed 07, 2019 5:41 pm

I bet Serena knows Naomi is No.1 again. lol

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Aug Thu 08, 2019 7:18 am