Tournaments this week

Wimby Day 1 OOP, 7/1/19

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
rex
Commish
Commish
Re: Wimby Day 1 OOP, 7/1/19

Post by rex » Jul Mon 01, 2019 1:51 pm

Bad day for the Class of '97 today.... Not only is Naomi buying an airline ticket, but so are Ostapenko and Kasatkina. Jelena losing to Su-Wei by 6-2 scores in 2. Kat' losing badly to Tomljanovic by score of 6-3 6-1. Yet, I think Jelena is playing doubles, staying a while as yet....

Good to see Yanina Wickmayer get to rd 2, dismissing Rebecca Peterson in 2.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Mon 01, 2019 3:04 pm

Only two former slam winners are left in the bottom section: Halep (who should have lost) and Azarenka...

I see a golden opportunity here for Keys and Pliskova to reach the final. Both are actually players that I expect(ed) to win Wimbledon at some point in time.

Edit:I forgot Wozniacki: still not used at her being a slam winner.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Mon 01, 2019 3:29 pm

Wimbledon 2019: Heather Watson says she has faced racist abuse 'throughout whole career'

British number two Heather Watson says she has been the target of racist abuse throughout her career.

The 27-year-old, who reached the Wimbledon second round on Monday with a 7-6 (7-3) 6-2 victory over qualifier Caty McNally, said someone had been arrested last week for online abuse of players.

"It's actually sad to say, but it's pretty normal," she told a news conference.

"It's sort of a daily thing."

She added: "I've had it throughout my whole career, I think. All the players get abuse online, which the WTA [international governing body of women's tennis] are really good with and help us with all of that, investigating it all.

"Somebody got arrested. Not everyone is going to get arrested, are they?

"I'm glad there's stuff being done, showing that you can't get away with that, because it's just hate. Nobody wants that."

Watson, who won the mixed doubles title at Wimbledon in 2016, plays Estonian 20th seed Anett Kontaveit for a place in the third round of the singles.