HISTORY: Gauff, 15, Wimbledon-Bound

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
HISTORY: Gauff, 15, Wimbledon-Bound

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Thu 27, 2019 2:21 pm

Wimbledon qualifying: Cori Gauff makes history in qualifying aged 15

American Cori Gauff has at 15 years and 122 days become the youngest player to qualify for the main Wimbledon draw since the Open era began in 1968.

Gauff, ranked 301, beat Belgium's world 129 Greet Minnen 6-1 6-1 in the final round of qualifying.

The night before the match the youngster took a science test for her school back in Florida.

Gauff will be the first 15-year-old in the main draw since Britain's Laura Robson in 2009.

"I knew I was the underdog and I was just enjoying it," she said after her third straight set victory at Roehampton. "I had no expectations really."

The teenager reached the US Open girls' final aged 13 in 2017, and a year later won the French Open girls' singles title.

She said she was inspired to play tennis by 23-time Grand Slam winner Serena Williams.

"Serena is the reason why I play tennis and why my dad decided to get me a racket," she said.

"Obviously, I don't care who I play. I'm just happy to be in the draw but I would love to share the court with Serena."

Gauff, who received a wildcard for qualifying, has played at the All England Club before as a junior.

"Playing against the top players in the world will be a different feel," she said. "[My first memories] were of watching Serena playing at Wimbledon and she won, though I don't remember which year, she has won so many times."

British number eight Liam Broady missed out a place in the main draw of Wimbledon after losing 3-6 0-6 6-2 6-4 6-3 to Frenchman Gregoire Barrere in the final round of qualifying.

He had been two sets up after 50 minutes against Barrere, ranked 170 places higher at 117 in the world.

Broady's best run at Wimbledon was reaching the second round in 2015.

In women's qualifying, Britain's Samantha Murray lost 4-6 6-2 3-6 to Spain's Paula Badosa.

Germany's 2013 Wimbledon finalist Sabine Lisicki also failed to make the main draw after she lost 0-6 6-4 6-4 to Lesley Kerkhove of the Netherlands.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: HISTORY: Gauff, 15, Wimbledon-Bound

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Fri 28, 2019 6:16 am

And I knew she'd draw a WS 1st round, Venus in this case.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jun Fri 28, 2019 6:48 am

Oh God, I knew it, Grosse!!

Sickening!!

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Mon 01, 2019 2:45 pm

"Venus told me congratulations and keep going, she said good luck and I told her thanks for everything she did," Gauff added.

"I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for her - I told her she was so inspiring and I've always wanted to tell her that but I've never had the guts to before.

"My parents will be super happy, my dad was jumping up every time I won a point. I'm so happy they spent all their time on me and my brothers and making sure we're successful.

"I never thought this would happen. I'm literally living my dream right now.

"I'm really happy Wimbledon gave me the chance to play, I never thought I would get this far."

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Mon 01, 2019 2:46 pm

Asked about Gauff's future, Williams said: "I think the sky's the limit, it really is.

"She did everything well today. She put the ball in the court, which was much better than I did. She served well, moved well. It was a great match for her."

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Mon 01, 2019 3:01 pm

What a match... Venus v1.0 against Venus v2.0... and the upgrade looks like a real improvement... If you can make me enjoy a match on grass, then both need my deepest respect.

I remember the days when people said that Sampras' record of 14 was a record for the ages; at that point in time young Roger was already on the scene, and less than 20 years later, three players broke that record already.

Now people say that Serena's record of 23 is one for a long time... but Gauff is here now... and I can see 2-3 players pushing each other to a level that makes them unbeatable and grab all the slams for a decade. I am thinking Anisimova & Gauff... who knows what will happen in the next 15 years with these two.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Mon 01, 2019 3:33 pm

Let' see how she responds. This is the biggest splash I've seen of a young player at GS in quite sometime, since perhaps Hingis. It's really bigger than than either WS' debut at GS and ahead of Larcher de brito's joyous ousting of Sharapova. Oudin 2.0?

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Mon 01, 2019 4:15 pm

Hold your horses, folk. :) :)
Haven't seen the match yet. I'll watch the Replay on ESPN+ tonight.
Venus can really play ugly tennis nowadays. So, let's keep that in mind. :)

sekasi
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by sekasi » Jul Mon 01, 2019 5:00 pm

Ace2Ace wrote:
Jul Mon 01, 2019 4:15 pm
Hold your horses, folk. :) :)
Haven't seen the match yet. I'll watch the Replay on ESPN+ tonight.
Venus can really play ugly tennis nowadays. So, let's keep that in mind. :)
I watched the whole match, I think that settles what I owe you for that Venus clay match you sat through. Venus played well, it was not an ugly match, Coco took the few 1,2 openings Venus gave her and run. Coco was very steady, you might not like her yet, she is not your in your face July 4th fireworks shots, lol. I know your kind of players :wink:

Mytiwtiw

Post by Mytiwtiw » Jul Mon 01, 2019 6:03 pm

Another one match wonder 😂😂