Tournaments this week

WIMBLEDON Injury List

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
WIMBLEDON Injury List

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Tue 25, 2019 10:51 am

PRAGUE (AP) — Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova says she will decide later this week if she's ready to play at the All England Club.

The 29-year-old Czech player injured her left forearm during training in Paris ahead of the French Open and has not played since. The injury prevented her from defending her title at the Birmingham Classic this week.

Kvitova wrote on Twitter that she was "Happy to tell you that my arm is improving and I just hit some balls on the beautiful grass for the first time.

The sixth-ranked Kvitova, who won the Wimbledon title in 2011 and 2014, reached the Australian Open final and won tournaments in Sydney and Stuttgart this year.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: WIMBLEDON Injury List

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Tue 25, 2019 10:52 am

LONDON (AP) — Bianca Andreescu won't play at Wimbledon because she needs more time to recover from a shoulder injury.

In a Twitter post Monday, Tennis Canada said "Unfortunately due to ongoing shoulder rehab and recovery, Bianca Andreescu has withdrawn from Wimbledon."

The 19-year-old Andreescu is Canada's highest-ranked player at No. 25.

Andreescu was seeded 22nd when she withdrew from the French Open ahead of her second-round match against Sofia Kenin because of the right shoulder problem.

She won the BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells in March, becoming the first wild-card winner and second-youngest to claim the title in tournament history.

Andreescu started the year by reaching the final of the ASB Classic in Auckland, New Zealand following upset wins over Caroline Wozniacki, Venus Williams and Hsieh Su-wei. She then raced from New Zealand to Melbourne to play qualifying for the Australian Open, and made the main draw of the season's first major.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Tue 25, 2019 10:53 am

Juan Martin del Potro's newest knee injury will require surgery, and could cause him to miss several months on tour.

Del Potro slipped on the grass while playing his opening match at Queen's, producing some swelling in his right knee, which he had previously fractured during a fall on court at Shanghai in 2018. He had played just four events since then until Queen's, when he hurt it again.

"The medical studies done last night in a clinic in London show that Juan Martin del Potro has suffered again a fracture in the right patella," said a statement from his team.

The Argentine has been frequently injured during his career, having right wrist surgery the year following his win at the 2009 US Open, and then three procedures on his left wrist that took him off the tour again until 2016.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Tue 25, 2019 10:53 am

Ashleigh Barty out of Eastbourne with arm injury, day after claiming No. 1 ranking

One day after ascending to the top of the tennis world, Australia’s Ash Barty has withdrawn from her final Wimbledon lead-up tournament due to injury.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Tue 25, 2019 10:55 am

Kyle Edmund has given an update on his fitness ahead of Wimbledon, revealing that he is ‘feeling good’ about his knee injury.

The British number one was forced to withdraw from the French Open with the injury and it appeared to hamper him at Queen’s too, where he lost in the first round to Stefanos Tsitsipas.

He, though, says the injury is starting to feel better ahead of his last pre-Wimbledon warm-up at Eastbourne.

“It’s a lot more positive since Queens,” Edmund told Sky Sports. “I’ve been practicing a lot more.

“When I came off the court at Queen’s, I felt a bit slow and sluggish – not as sharp as I wanted to be.

“I am feeling good about my game physically. Practice is one thing but doing it in a match is somewhere where you can really see and put it to the test.

“You are going there (Wimbledon) wanting to win every match, that is natural.

“That is all I focus on really – and hopefully I get some matches this week (at Eastbourne).”

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Tue 25, 2019 10:57 am

The 23-year-old Thanasi Kokkinakis is still unable to make a return following an injury, withdrawing from Wimbledon qualifying round to deal the singles comeback. The Adelaide had stood as one of the upcoming young stars, entering the top-100 at the age of 19 and winning 13 ATP matches in 2015.

Instead of improving results and ranking position, Thanasi had to undergo right shoulder surgery at the end of the season, playing just one encounter that year and missing all the action until May 2017, struggling with an abdominal strain to make things even worse after shoulder troubles.

Following a slow return that spring, Kokkinakis advanced into the first ATP final in Los Cabos in August, losing in three sets to Sam Querrey and looking confident to bring more good results by the end of the year. Nonetheless, things went from bad to worse, with Thanasi skipping all the action after the US Open and kicking off 2018 from outside the top-200.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Tue 25, 2019 11:06 am

Injury forces Alexander Zverev to withdraw from Halle doubles

German tennis star Alexander Zverev has pulled out of the Halle doubles due to a knee injury. The 22-year-old and his brother Mischa Zverev gave a walkover to Ben McLachlan and Jan-Lennard Struff. On Monday, second-seeded Zverev opened his singles campaign in Halle.

The German survived a tricky first round clash as he claimed a tight straight-set win over Dutch Robin Haase 6-4 7-5. The 22-year-old saved a set point in the second set as he recovered from a 5-2 deficit to steal the set.

The Zverev brothers were expected to make their fifth appearance as a team on the grass courts of Halle this year. The Zverevs came close to winning it all at the Halle event in 2017 and 2018 but both times fell just short as they ended runners-up.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Tue 25, 2019 11:10 am

Milos Raonic
Maria Sharapova
Kevin Anderson
Coco Vanderweghe
Andy Murray
Serena Williams
Venus Williams
Angelique Kerber

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Tue 25, 2019 11:11 am

Elina Svitolina column: I hope injury won't threaten Wimbledon hopes

The hours after being knocked out of a Grand Slam are not the moments to make rash decisions.

But I've been managing a knee injury for a while and against Garbine it felt the same.

So maybe I will need an MRI scan on my knee next week and see what is the best option going into the grass-court season.

Of course there is a concern I might not play on the grass at all if a scan shows something really serious.

But, feeling how I feel now, I think I will have enough time to recover for Wimbledon.

Against Garbine it was very tough to keep focus and concentration - maybe it was the lack of matches at the highest level over the past two or three months.

Before Roland Garros I had only played two matches - losing in Madrid and Rome - since the Miami Open in March.

The problem didn't get any worse in the match against Garbine though, so that is good.

Grass is tricky because you have to be ready for movements which could maybe damage the knee more.

It has not been easy for the past two months. I need to see where I am now and take my time.

I have to speak with my team and speak with doctors about when I should start playing on the grass.

It is tough to say if Garbine is now the favourite to win Roland Garros but she definitely can play well here - obviously she won here three years ago.

It wasn't an amazing match but she took her chances and served well when she had to.

I made too many unforced errors and too many poor decisions.

Normally my game is about getting balls back and not making many unforced errors. Normally I'm dictating the point.

But I was a bit lost on court. I didn't feel so good with the decisions I made.

I hadn't played since Sunday - when I beat Venus Williams - because my next opponent Kateryna Kozlova pulled out of our match on Wednesday with illness.

It's tough to say if losing serve five times in the first set and only landing 37% of first serves was down to not playing for so long.

She returned well and I was not concentrating on what I had to do.

I have to go back and analyse and see what I did wrong and move forward.

There is no time to be sad. You have to be ready for the next tournament.

I have to be mentally strong. This is a big part of tennis, getting through these moments.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Tue 25, 2019 11:49 am

Grossefavourite wrote:
Jun Tue 25, 2019 11:11 am
Elina Svitolina column: I hope injury won't threaten Wimbledon hopes
Normally my game is about getting balls back and not making many unforced errors. Normally I'm dictating the point.
Thank you. Now everyone understand why I call you a pusher.
You can't dictate point if your game is to mainly get balls back [ and wait for errors], as you correctly stated.