2019 French Open WTA draw and results

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Graveller
Commish
Commish
Re: 2019 French Open WTA draw and results

Post by Graveller » Jun Fri 07, 2019 5:07 am

7-6 3-0...

She is ridiculously good... amazing, perfectly executed dropshots from the baseline on the return of serve, ROS winners, never giving an easy ball...
Easy to get overexcited, but if this is her normal level at 17, then the sky is the limit.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jun Fri 07, 2019 5:12 am

Pyotr, I disagree with the chocking: Barty was given a free-ride in the first 5 games: Anisimova was a shadow of the player that we saw yesterday...

It is not that Barty her level dropped: Anisimova started to play better and stopped with giving presents... As you can see, the moment that Anisimova her level drops a bit, Barty is back.... form 3-0 to 3-3 in the second set...

Both still can win this. This is the real final for me.

Not watching Vondrousova: followed on the scoreboard and saw that Konta was in the lead all the time until 5-5....
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jun Fri 07, 2019 6:12 am

Barty pulled it back together!!

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jun Fri 07, 2019 6:36 am

Attitude:

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jun Fri 07, 2019 7:08 am

Missed the third set...

This SF was going to produce a great finalist anyway... And Anisimova will get her opportunities anyway.

So Barty or Vondrousova will become the next new Slam winner.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Fri 07, 2019 9:09 am

It's been a while since I was bragging about a group of ITF girls I was watching in those late night Aussie middle of the corn field tournaments: Haddad Maia, Kuzmova, Aiava, Vondrousova .
I was saying they were all good players and deserved to be top-100 with the kind of games they were producing over there down under.

Well, a couple years later, one of them is in a slam final.
Haddad and Kuzmova did make the top-100 although Haddad with all kinds of health issues, has fallen back in the ITF jungle.
Kuzmova is now a solid top-100.
Aiava got her own apartment, a boyfriend and a car and got fat. Her priorities are elsewhere. Never made it to the top-100. The only one in that group that failed my prediction. :( :( But 3 out of 4 is not that bad.

Congratutation, Fraulein Vondrousova.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Fri 07, 2019 9:19 am

I've never seen a SF at a major like this! Barty led 5-0* 40-15 in 15 minutes and then was trailing 6-7 0-3 an hour later....
A match full of chunks. 5 straight for Barty, 6 straight for Anisimova, back-and-forth breaks, Anisimova wining the 1st Set after being down mini breaks. Then 3 straight for Anisimova, 6 straight for Barty I think, and Barty just had control in the 3rd
The first set:

And it was a doozy. Barty takes the first five games in twelve minutes! Ashleigh could do no wrong in those lightning fast games while nothing, absolutely nothing that Amanda Anisimova did went right: the 17-year old was outplayed in very short order. But serving in the sixth game Anisimova suddenly found her game: she kicked her serve out wide to Barty's forehand, yanking the Aussie off the court; the American deployed the drop shot to winning effect, often catching Barty flatfooted and out of position behind the baseline; and Amanda found the range on her hard groundstrokes, firing them in with far more precision than she had in the opening five games, making Barty look a bit slow in her response. After roughly thirty-three minutes eleven games had been completed and Anisimova had won the last six. Barty wasn't done she holds for the tie-breaker which she was leading 4-3 before Amanda took charge and took the tb (7-4) and the set.

The second set:

More big momentum shifts: Anisimova jumps to a 3-0 but Barty shrugs it off and begins to slice and dice with her backhand and then moving swiftly and confidently to her ripping, heavy forehand. Once again, Amanda was baffled by the variable speeds and the errors accrued; Ashleigh triumphant from 0-3 down to 6-3 for the set.

The third set:

At 1-1 Barty is broken and it's Anisimova with the slight edge: at 2-1 deuce on Anisimova's serve they considered halting play due to the light rain but they went on anyway... and Amanda was broken (2-2). Barty holds at fifteen and leads 3-2; Ashleigh follows up with a break on Amanda and the Aussie extends her lead (4-2). Barty is clearly in a groove and Anisimova has clearly lost her touch at this stage as Ashleigh holds for the 5-2 control. Anisimova's serve goes to deuce; she gets the advantage and holds but she's staring at a 3-5 deficit. Barty steps to the baseline, gets her serve to 40-0, 40-15, 40-30 (on a sweet drop shot from Anisimova) and then... game set match Barty
I didn't watch this match but wow...

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Fri 07, 2019 9:45 am

Sorry, can't picture Konta as a GS champ.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Fri 07, 2019 9:50 am

Graveller wrote:
Jun Fri 07, 2019 4:55 am
What a set... Anisimova wins it 7-6... served for the set at 6-5, gor broken, was 2-4 down in the TB and then won 5 points in a row...

I saw it all: great defense, variety in speed and direction, comes to the net, uses drop shots... what more can you want?
I hope she does not lose that overall variety in the next years

Mental blow for Barty, I assume, when you lead with 5-0....
Losing the set from 5-0 40-15? ???? WTH?

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Fri 07, 2019 9:54 am

The adjusted score is 6-0, 6-2.