All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

KIM'S Comeback Postponed

Post by Grossefavourite » Nov Mon 04, 2019 10:25 am

Clijsters announces delay to second return from retirement

Kim Clijsters has postponed her return to action due to her ongoing recovery from a knee injury after announcing the end of her second retirement.

The 36-year-old player has abandoned her plans for a January return to continue rehabilitation.

The Belgian said: "It's a setback but I'm determined as ever to get back to the game I love."

Clijsters retired in 2007 but returned after the birth of her first child. She played in 2009 before winning three more Grand Slams, making four in total, and retired again in 2012.

She planned to make a second return to action after making her announcement in September this year, and said January 2020 was her provisional target.

Cijsters is entitled to wildcard entries at every WTA tournament due to being a former world number one.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: KIM'S Comeback Postponed

Post by Ace2Ace » Nov Mon 04, 2019 12:54 pm

Looking forward to Kim vs Gavrilova. lol lol lol

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Dec Mon 23, 2019 3:08 pm

Kim Clijsters targets March return 7 years after retiring

BRUSSELS -- Kim Clijsters plans to make her delayed comeback to tennis at the Monterrey Open in March, more than seven years after her second retirement.

Clijsters said on Monday she accepted wild cards into the Mexican hard-court event which begins on March 2, followed by Indian Wells from March 11, then the Charleston clay tournament from April 6.

The former No. 1 and four-time major champion, who already is a member of the International Tennis Hall of Fame, announced her comeback attempt in September. Her plans were delayed in November when she tore a ligament in her right knee.

Kim Clijsters is planning another comeback. Nicolas Asfouri/Getty Images
"I am really pleased with my progress and it's been great to get back on the court and play tennis again," Clijsters said in a statement. "It's been a setback but has really shown me how determined I am to return to the game I love."

WTA rules allow her, as a past Grand Slam champion, to receive unlimited wild-card invitations to tournaments and, as someone who is older than 30, to opt out of mandatory appearances at certain events.

The 36-year-old Clijsters left the tour in 2007 and got married and had the first of her three children. She returned about two years later and won her second and third U.S. Opens and an Australian Open. She retired again in 2012 and was working in television.

PeterSkan
Senior
Senior

Post by PeterSkan » Jan Fri 10, 2020 10:27 am

Did she run out of money or something?
go firmly to the window
and listen with deep emotion,
but not with the whining, the pleas of the coward;
listen-your final pleasure-to the voices,
to the exquisite music of that strange procession

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jan Fri 10, 2020 10:35 am

PeterSkan wrote:
Jan Fri 10, 2020 10:27 am
Did she run out of money or something?
I think so. Kids want the latest iphone. :)

sekasi
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by sekasi » Jan Fri 10, 2020 10:40 am

Ace2Ace wrote:
Jan Fri 10, 2020 10:35 am
I think so. Kids want the latest iphone. :)
Dude, stop. :lol:
The beauty about the WTA is people retire for a few years. I think these vets should do full time doubles.