KONTA Pissed Off

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
KONTA Pissed Off

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Tue 09, 2019 2:29 pm

Wimbledon 2019: Johanna Konta accuses reporter of being ‘patronising and disrespectful’ after defeat
The British number insisted she has ‘no regrets’ over her quarter-final defeat

Johanna Konta dismissed a reporter as being “patronising and disrespectful” after it was suggested she struggled to cope with the pressure of key moments during her quarter-final defeat to Barbora Strycova at Wimbledon.

Asked whether she “needs to have a look at herself” rather than praising the efforts of her opponent, Konta responded: “I don't think you need to pick on me in a harsh way... Please don’t patronise me. You are [patronising me] in the way you asked your question. You’re being quite disrespectful and patronising me. I’m a professional competitor who did her best today and that’s all there is to that.”

Konta went on to insist she has “no regrets” after the demoralising 7-6 6-1 loss to the unseeded world No 54, which included 33 unforced errors, and insisted she wouldn’t do anything differently as a result of her performance.

“I’m in the same boat,” she said. ”I went out there and did my best and it wasn’t good enough. Every decision I made, every thought process, every opportunity I gave myself, I have no regrets. I did the best I could.

“I think I’ve played a great tournament. Obviously, I’d have liked to play two more matches but I can take a lot away from this. I really feel that, even including today, I can take a lot away from these 10 days, the players I’ve beaten and also lost to today. Overall there’s a lot I can be proud of.”

Konta was then again forced to refute the suggestion that the expectation of playing on Centre Court had overwhelmed her.

“I was obviously nervous going into the match but they were good nerves; excitement and anticipation,” she said. ”I think [the loss] was a combination of not finding my level and my opponent not giving me the opportunity to do that.

“I think the best I can do is just to keep putting myself in the positions to give myself the opportunity to go further and further. It’ll either happen or it won’t but I’m no less of a person or a player if I don’t get past this point – equally so if I do. I play this game with dignity, I love this sport and I’m grateful for everything that it brings me.

Strycova meanwhile, who advances to a Grand Slam semi-final for the first time in her 16-year professional career, will now go on to face Serena Williams in the semi-finals and was still struck by disbelief after completing the victory. “It sounds crazy,” she told BBC Sport. “It’s happening but I can’t really believe it.”

“It was one of the best matches I’ve played here. It was a special moment for me. It’s a great week to play Williams and a match I look forward to.”