Tournaments this week

Coronavirus

politics, music, movies, war, peace, food and all
Jeff in Texas
Regular
Regular
Re: Coronavirus

Post by Jeff in Texas » Apr Sat 11, 2020 3:48 pm

Ace, thanks for the update. First time I been here for a while - just didn't think of it until yesterday. Djmm, your entries make a terrific (perhaps compelling is a better word) 'diary' of the pandemic's progress. Thanks for your posting, and I hope your nephew gets better soon.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Apr Sun 12, 2020 4:03 pm

A few days ago a friend of mine died of Covid.
He was cancer-patient... well, he just got the news that the therapy looked successfull and that he could expect full recovery.
But his immune system was weakened and he passed away within days of getting ill. So unfair...

I know we all want this to be over, but any strategy of reopening a country before the number of hospitals admissions drops to zero is insanity... Wuhan only reopened when that point was reached.

This is a time that each and everyone needs to decide what is more important: a full economy that benefits the stocks and shares of the rich, or the life of our (older) parents, grandparents, friends etc...
There is no middle ground for this virus, and anyone telling you that a partial reopening is possible, is lying to you and is deceiving you (and - without a doubt - has personal interest in economics, and would likely sell his mother to the devil).

And I am not even blaming Trump; he did not choose how he was brought up, nor the lack of intelligence he was born with. I blame everyone with authority (governor, major, senator,...) who has the power to make a difference on a local level, but refuses to to what is needed. And that goes for every country.

Sorry for the rant, but not in the mood for any level of compromise after losing a friend.
Whatever you do: maximise social distancing until we have a vaccine or better proven treatment.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Skilletsauce
Junior
Junior

Post by Skilletsauce » Apr Mon 13, 2020 11:26 am

Image I'm not sure why there hasn't been a topic started on Roger Federer's retirement.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Apr Mon 13, 2020 4:36 pm

Maybe because he has not retired yet? 😉... at least not in my isolated world.

His timing was impeccable: getting knee surgery weeks before ATP tour got suspended indefinitely...
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Skilletsauce
Junior
Junior

Post by Skilletsauce » Apr Mon 13, 2020 9:08 pm

Oops my bad. Didn't mean to cause a tennis pandemic!! A tennis playing buddy posted this on his facebook page so I trusted the news without doing my due diligence. Carry on and be safe and well everyone!! Oh and your isolated world is apparently much better informed than mine :oops:

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Apr Mon 13, 2020 9:21 pm

Graveller wrote:
Apr Sun 12, 2020 4:03 pm
He was cancer-patient... well, he just got the news that the therapy looked successfull and that he could expect full recovery.
But his immune system was weakened and he passed away within days of getting ill. So unfair...
This thing doesn't play around with people who are already really ill. So sad.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Apr Tue 14, 2020 12:16 pm

Jeff in Texas wrote:
Apr Sat 11, 2020 3:48 pm
Ace, thanks for the update. First time I been here for a while - just didn't think of it until yesterday. Djmm, your entries make a terrific (perhaps compelling is a better word) 'diary' of the pandemic's progress. Thanks for your posting, and I hope your nephew gets better soon.
Thanks, Jeff. My nephew is feeling a little better. Worse thing is no visitors, period!!

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Apr Tue 14, 2020 12:20 pm

So sorry about your friend, Grav.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Apr Tue 14, 2020 12:23 pm

Trump showed his nastyass yesterday. I can't watch his briefings anymore!!

Good thing I have a fantastic governor!!

sekasi
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by sekasi » Apr Wed 15, 2020 9:49 am

Graveller wrote:
Apr Sun 12, 2020 4:03 pm
Sorry about your friend Grav.