Tournaments this week

Coronavirus

politics, music, movies, war, peace, food and all
djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished
Re: Coronavirus

Post by djmm1962 » Jun Wed 17, 2020 9:34 am

Another drug seems promising for treating #Covid19, so of course I looked into it. Bad side effects for prolonged use of any steroid (two week max):

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supple ... g-20075207

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jun Wed 17, 2020 9:36 am

Dexamethasone (Oral Route)

It's available and affordable (for now)!!

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Jun Thu 18, 2020 9:09 am

djmm1962 wrote:
Jun Wed 17, 2020 9:36 am
Dexamethasone (Oral Route)

It's available and affordable (for now)!!
What are the downsides?

There are potential complications with using dexamethasone.

First, dexamethasone also suppresses the immune system when it reduces inflammation. So, it’s not usually recommended for people who are sick, or could be sick, from other infections. So doctors will need to make sure patients have no other infections before they are prescribed the drug.

If the results of this trial are correct though, the drug doesn’t appear to compromise the patient’s ability to fight COVID-19; it might just affect their ability to fight off other diseases.

Second, the drug is only useful for patients with difficulty breathing and needing some assistance either through ventilation in a hospital or from oxygen therapy.

There appears to be no benefit for patients who don’t need help breathing. So we shouldn’t be giving it to everyone who tests positive to the virus.

Third, like all drugs, dexamethasone has side effects that need to be monitored. Serious, but rare ones include: severe stomach or intestinal pain, sudden changes with vision, fits, significant psychiatric or personality changes, severe dizziness, fainting, weakness and chest pain or irregular heartbeat, and swelling of the face, lips, mouth, tongue or throat, which may cause difficulty in swallowing or breathing.

https://news.yahoo.com/dexamethasone-po ... 00970.html

All drugs have side effects, reason why I try my best to stay away from pharmaceuticals, save for aspirin for a headache, Fletcher's for movement issues (which you can't find anymore otc) and home remedies (Cayce remedy) for colds/flu, which I haven't had for decades....

I practically laugh at commercials advertising some new drug. The commercials last for a minute and a half. The lst 45 seconds explains the positive effects of the drug, the last 45 seconds goes into detail how "lethal" the drug is to other body organs. You call this health? When covid burst unto the scene I thought superficially 'if antibiotics don't work, then medicine and people are in deep doo....'. Yet, there still are many more recovering than dying, but no one tells the public what was done successfully that resulted in the person recovering. However, I do understand somewhat for what may work for one person, may not work for another, for the chemical makeup for each individual is different and they react differently. So, the beat goes on and the medical/clinical/scientific community is still baffled as to the source and can't tell you how the virus is transmitted. Just take precautions, i.e., social-distancing, wear a mask and hope for the best (vaccine, which will have side effects)....

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jun Thu 18, 2020 9:29 am

Rex,

You didn't read my post regarding the long term effects of using it or any steroid for prolonged use??

Tisk Tisk!!

I posted it for a reason!!

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jun Thu 18, 2020 10:01 am

I found that in 15 minutes, but if my boss (VP) asked for a search, I had to find every word ever mentioned about it (multiple journals, newspapers, magazines, scientific reviews, clinical studies, etc.) catalog them into a formal presentation, sweating I had it complete, lol, then present it in a meeting with top global medical heads!!

That's what I do, for every drug :)

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jun Thu 18, 2020 10:04 am

If he (they) asked me a question about any article, I had to know the answer. Some are very difficult and complicated, so I'd note it then continue to research after the meeting ... Never ending!!

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jun Thu 18, 2020 10:06 am

Better than patients throwing up in your face :)

LOL!!

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Jun Thu 18, 2020 10:48 am

djmm1962 wrote:
Jun Thu 18, 2020 9:29 am
Rex,

You didn't read my post regarding the long term effects of using it or any steroid for prolonged use??

Tisk Tisk!!

I posted it for a reason!!
My apologies, Dj', for I skipped the heading and just read the text (I do that sometimes)....... :|

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jun Thu 18, 2020 11:25 am

All good 8)

:lol:

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Sun 21, 2020 3:44 pm