Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Coronavirus

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Sat 28, 2020 11:40 am

djmm1962 wrote:
Mar Fri 27, 2020 8:16 pm
Ace,

I apologize for my rudeness dismissing your post. I didn't mean it, it's just that I'm stressed and checking updates every hour :( Please accept my apology!!

It haunted me all day ~ I'm Sorry
No.. no worry about anything. These are tough times. Like the policemen said about shoplifters, "we have bigger fish to fry than chasing you around" lol lol.
No need to apologize. We are cool.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Mar Sat 28, 2020 4:44 pm

A cat in Belgian has tested positive for the coronavirus after catching the potentially deadly bug from an infected owner, officials said Friday.

The sick pet in Liège tested positive after showing classic symptoms of COVID-19 — including difficulty breathing — a week after its owner first fell sick, health officials told a press conference, the Brussels Times reports.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Mar Sat 28, 2020 6:28 pm

A "101" year old Italian man in Italy just beat this virus and was sent home........bravo. He was born at the time when the world was contending with the Spanish Flu pandemic in 1918, which dismissed an estimated 50 mil. This positive story comes at a time when 86% of the people over age 70 in that Nation have returned Home due to this virus. Italy is up against it with over 9k deaths, but offset by +10k having recovered, a continuing positive outcome, tho' any loss of life is sad. World-wide, there are more cures than deaths by way over 100k, despite the constant doom and gloom, irresponsible, incomplete reporting in the media. More daily recovery stories like this should be showcased and reported, giving the masses hope, sans a pandemic vaccine, as medicine uses the results of success cases to treat the active cases and those new cases that test positive in reducing the # of fatalities....... Cease the fatalism and adjust........

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... virus.html

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Mar Sun 29, 2020 10:29 pm

Rumor is Wimbledon is cancelled, not just postponed. Serena's history making journey is coming to a swift end.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Mar Mon 30, 2020 4:33 am

Stringent measures seem to pay of in Belgium; it looks that we have managed to bend the curve:

1) the number of people dying per day is hardly changing: saturday 78, sunday 82. It is still an increase, but not the doubling that we see in some countries. The increase is very limited over the last days.
2) the number of new cases in intensive care has dropped significantly (only 60 yesterday). Ad the less people on IC, the less people are expected to die.
3) biostatistical experts said yesterday that the there was evidence of the curve bending and the results that were released today, confirmed the conclusion.

So taking very stringent self-isolation measures that wee taken more than two weeks ago, are paying off. Belgium took them very early, and people are following the advice. Our healthcare still copes (50% of IC-beds are still vacant), and it looks that we may have just enough beds to survive the worst moment of the curve. Which would be a major success as it means that everyone who needs care, will get care.

Knowing this, I still do not get the decisions that are made in the US: EVERYWHERE should be on lockdown: without these measures, 100 cases and two deaths will become 10000 cases and 400 death within two weeks. It is the curve everywhere in the world, and it won't be different in the States.
So when I hear Trump and his advisors say that measures are only needed in the worst places, but not in places where the illness is very limited (so in the name of economy, normal life can go on), it is simply allowing the virus to spread further in an unlimited way. Without checks and quarantine, 1 spreader in a city like Dallas will result in 1000-10000 cases within a month. This virus does not care about economy and for the moment the decision makers in the States are still taking the economy into account.

On a personal note: I am OK; safe and well in the confined space of our house/garden.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

sekasi
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by sekasi » Mar Mon 30, 2020 9:00 am

Graveller wrote:
Mar Mon 30, 2020 4:33 am
Stringent measures seem to pay of in Belgium; it looks that we have managed to bend the curve:

1) the number of people dying per day is hardly changing: saturday 78, sunday 82. It is still an increase, but not the doubling that we see in some countries. The increase is very limited over the last days.
2) the number of new cases in intensive care has dropped significantly (only 60 yesterday). Ad the less people on IC, the less people are expected to die.
3) biostatistical experts said yesterday that the there was evidence of the curve bending and the results that were released today, confirmed the conclusion.

On a personal note: I am OK; safe and well in the confined space of our house/garden.
Nice to hear from your Grav.
What concerns me is you still have ICU capacity but the treatment has not affected the number of people dying.
The theory that was floated here is as long as we have ICU capacity, lives will be saved.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Mar Tue 31, 2020 5:26 am

sekasi wrote:
Mar Mon 30, 2020 9:00 am
Nice to hear from your Grav.
What concerns me is you still have ICU capacity but the treatment has not affected the number of people dying.
The theory that was floated here is as long as we have ICU capacity, lives will be saved.
Well, ICU does not "treat" people in a sense that it kills the virus and heals the people. It merely assists people in their internal fight against the virus: providing oxygen, hydrating the people, giving nutrients and food, etc.
But in the end, it is your body that needs to fight off the virus. And if lungs get too damaged, no ventilator will help: oxygen won't be taken up, ending in organ failure. We also see cases where the virus affects the heart and causes patients to die from heart failure.

Once your ICU units are at full capacity, those patients who would have benefits from assisted respiration, won't have it and the death rate would even increase further.

The numbers that were just released for the last 24h remain positive (the government releases numbers every morning). The daily number of deaths did increase when compared to yesterday (from 78 to 98), but the number of new patients that needed to be hospitalized went down for the second day in a row:
sunday: 629 new patients
monday: 536 new patients
tuesday: 485 new patients
That is a decrease by almost 25% in two days!

That mortality is still going up, makes sense: these are people that went to hospital a week ago or so - when number of cases sill went up. A week ago, we had the highest peak of new patients on ICU on a single day: 131 (since then, we stayed below 100/day).

And the number of new confirmed cases per day - even with more intensive testing - is also going down pretty spectacularly (by more than 50% compared to last week). So there is some good news, despite the highest number of people dying over thelast 24 hours.
saturday: 1850 new cases
sunday: 1702 new cases
monday: 1063 new cases
tuesday: 876 new cases
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

sekasi
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by sekasi » Mar Tue 31, 2020 8:47 am

Graveller wrote:
Mar Tue 31, 2020 5:26 am
And the number of new confirmed cases per day - even with more intensive testing - is also going down pretty spectacularly (by more than 50% compared to last week). So there is some good news, despite the highest number of people dying over thelast 24 hours.
saturday: 1850 new cases
sunday: 1702 new cases
monday: 1063 new cases
tuesday: 876 new cases
The decrease in the number of confirmed case given you are doing intensive testing is very encouraging.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Mar Tue 31, 2020 11:16 am

Boss just revealed he and his family are positive. Kid appeared to have brought it back from Europe.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Mar Tue 31, 2020 12:18 pm

US Open tennis complex to be used as makeshift hospital in New York

(CNN)The New York stadium complex that hosts the annual U.S. Open tennis tournament every summer will be used as a makeshift hospital to bolster efforts to care for patients during the coronavirus pandemic.

The Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Queens is slated to be transformed into overflow hospital space, said Chris Widmaier, U.S. Tennis Association spokesman. The conversion is being made at the request of the New York City Office of Emergency Management, he added.
OEM spokesman Omar Bourne told CNN that the plan is to build a 350-bed medical facility at the location.
"The site is likely to be non-Covid patients, and we will evaluate based on need," he said.