Re: Kobe Bryant, RIP

Post by Ace2Ace » Jan Sun 26, 2020 8:31 pm

This is very sad. Very very sad.

Skilletsauce
Junior
Junior

Post by Skilletsauce » Jan Mon 27, 2020 8:49 am

Still stunned and shocked by this news. He was just embarking on his post basketball life and who knew where that was going to lead? Ownership, coaching, or commentating? The possibilities were endless.
And I just can't imagine what the family must be going through. They lost a hisband, father, daughter, and sister. The news is just everywhere and I hope the media gives them some time and space before trying to talk to them.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jan Mon 27, 2020 10:10 am

I don't think his wife and kids are watching the news. That's the last thing on their minds right now.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Jan Mon 27, 2020 11:11 am

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Jan Mon 27, 2020 3:02 pm

After winning their doubles' match yesterday, Cori and Caty made a tribute gesture to Kobe:

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Mon 27, 2020 3:05 pm

I saw the headline and had to click out instantly as I was in complete shock and still am. I still have no read anything about it. He was such a shining symbol of fire and desire, an unimpeachable hunger for success.

I heard, sadly, he had 'special clearance' to fly in that weather. This is red rag to the lawyers, sadly.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Jan Mon 27, 2020 4:49 pm

Grossefavourite wrote:
Jan Mon 27, 2020 3:05 pm

I heard, sadly, he had 'special clearance' to fly in that weather. This is red rag to the lawyers, sadly.
First paragraphs of the article:

Kobe Bryant's helicopter pilot was given a special clearance to fly under foggy conditions considered dangerous enough that local police agencies grounded their choppers.

New audio that was captured by LiveATC.net has revealed that the pilot, who has been named as Ara Zobayan, had requested to fly under special visual flight rules (SVFR).

So, it appears pilot decision-making and the granting of the request by “someone” allowed this flight to take place, even though police agencies grounded their choppers due to the foggy conditions….....smh. This accident never would’ve happened if the pilot and whoever granted the pilot’s request to fly had exercised due caution and cancelled the flight….

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... r-comments

Hindsight is always 20/20.....

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jan Mon 27, 2020 5:35 pm

I heard that's the copter Kobe used to go to practices and games as a Laker. It took him a few minutes rather than 2-hours by car.
That copter is Kobe's every day transportation around L.A. I would not be surprised it's not the first time he's granted special permission to ride. Only this time something went wrong.
People can't always sue for the sake of it.
It's very sad his life is cut short. He had a lot going for him, including his easy copter rides. If life was fair, he'd still be around. Sometimes shi.t.t.t.t happen. I can't think Kobe's wife is blaming anyone for the accident. I am sure many times she's been on those rides with him, in good or bad conditions.
People should just put this to rest instead of looking for someone to blame.

Maybe other celebrities will learn from this: not asking for special permission when the whether is not favorable to fly.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Jan Mon 27, 2020 6:47 pm

Ace2Ace wrote:
Jan Mon 27, 2020 5:35 pm

I heard that's the copter Kobe used to go to practice and games as a Laker. It took him a few minutes rather than 2-hours by car.

That copter is Kobe's every day transportation around L.A. I would not be surprised it's not the first time he's granted special permission to ride. Only this time something went wrong.

People should just put this to rest instead of looking for someone to blame.

Maybe other celebrities will learn from this: not asking for special permission when the whether is not favorable to fly.
lst sentence......I read as well that the 'copter, owned by Kobe, was his mode of transportation to travel around the local areas and attend practices/games, rather than take the congested freeways around LA, reducing his travel time and making the most of his time with family. Yet, was there a heli' pad at Staples Arena to accommodate Kobe's comings and goings? Would be interesting to know....

3rd sentence.......I don't think people are looking for someone to blame, as much as they are looking for a concrete explanation for the cause of this tragic accident. It won't be put to rest until there is an official announcement from the NTSB as to their findings after the investigation, which, per statement from a rep from the NTSB at the press conference, will take as much as a year to complete, but a preliminary report can be given within 30 days. Further, apparently there was a black box on the 'copter, which after opening can reveal whether there was any mechanical malfunction(s) as a possible cause for the crash. Yet, in this day an age people will find a reason to sue, which will likely come after the release of the official report.....

Last sentence......agreed......the high profile of Kobe and the pub this accident is getting due to his profile, coupled with the loss of his daughter, 2 of her teammates, the rest of the passengers and the pilot's demise in this fashion will likely give pause to celebs, business execs, entertainers, etc. attempting to fly in 'copters and other light aircraft in adverse weather conditions. Cancellations are likely to ensue due to this incident, tho' many a deaths have occurred with Cessnas involved in something similar, but people continue to use Cessnas to this day with such a bad history for safety.