PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

CANADIAN PM's Brownface/Blackface...Racist?

politics, music, movies, war, peace, food and all
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
CANADIAN PM's Brownface/Blackface...Racist?

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Fri 20, 2019 9:35 pm

Justin Trudeau blackface: Third incident of Canadian PM wearing racist makeup emerges

A video of Justin Trudeau wearing blackface has been released. The clip is the third instance of the Canadian prime minister wearing racist make-up to emerge in the last 24 hours.

The video was first obtained by Global News.

In the footage a young Mr Trudeau can be seen with his face covered in what appears to be dark make-up.

He is dressed in jeans and a t-shirt and proceeds to laugh and stick his tongue out at the camera.

It is unclear when and where the video was filmed.

The video was released just hours after Mr Trudeau apologised for wearing make-up to darken his skin at an Arabian Nights themed party in 2001.

The Canadian leader was 29-years-old at the time.

In a photograph from the party, first published by TIME Magazine, Mr Trudeau can be seen dressed in a white turban.

The prime minister, who launched his re-election campaign just a week ago, said he should have known better, when asked about the costume.

“I’m p***** off at myself, I’m disappointed in myself,” he told reporters travelling with him on his campaign plane.

A spokesperson for Mr Trudeau’s Liberal Party confirmed the validity of the photo to TIME Magazine on Wednesday.

“It was a photo taken while he was teaching in Vancouver, at the school’s annual dinner which had a costume theme of Arabian Nights”, a spokesperson said.

Mr Trudeau admitted to a second incident while apologising for the first.

“When I was in high school I dressed up at a talent show and sang Day-O with make-up one,” he said.

“There are people who make mistakes in this life and you make decisions based on what they actually do, what they did and on a case-by-case basis. I deeply regret that I did that. I should have known better but I didn’t.”

The 47-year-old is yet to comment on the video.

The controversy comes as a critical time for Mr Trudeau as he campaigns for re-election on 21 October, with polls saying he faces a serious challenge from Conservative leader Andrew Scheer.

The Canadian leader is already vulnerable following one of the biggest scandals in Canadian political history, which arose when his former attorney general said he improperly pressured her to halt the criminal prosecution of a company in Quebec.

Mr Trudeau has defended himself by claiming he was standing up for jobs.

He is admired around the world for his progressive policies in the Trump era, but the recent scandals have tarnished the prime minister’s liberal credentials in the eyes of some critics.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Re: CANADIAN PM's Brownface/Blackface...Racist?

Post by Graveller » Sep Fri 20, 2019 9:58 pm

FYI, In Afrikan culture, demons and bad spirits are often played by people who paint their face white. Just saying...

Ps: I have no problem with that tradition.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Sep Fri 20, 2019 10:16 pm

WTF?!?

Due to colonialism, theft and slavery … They were correct!!

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Sep Fri 20, 2019 10:17 pm

Don't go there, Grav!!

Don't go there!!!!!

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Sep Sat 21, 2019 9:28 am

djmm1962 wrote:
Sep Fri 20, 2019 10:17 pm
Don't go there, Grav!!

Don't go there!!!!!
You just branded me as a colonialist, thief, and slavemaster because of the color of my skin. Thank you very much.

My point is that, if you want to fight traditions that depict another race negatively, then there are no exceptions: it has to go both ways.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Miss_Vee
Regular
Regular

Post by Miss_Vee » Sep Sun 22, 2019 4:17 pm

One of many things I have learned in this whole debate about white people trying to depict themselves as another race, whilst trying to lend authenticity to the part, be it a Halloween costume or another themed event is that the depiction comes from a harmless place most of the time. I do not know if we as a people can go back 20 plus years, and suggest that Justin Trudeau is racist, because he was a product of the times, at that time.
I am a black female, and if I had to attend a costumed event and wanted to dress as a white female and paint my face white 20 years ago, I would have done so. However, that is not viewed as racist. Even today, it’s not viewed as racist. Is it because he is white? Why is that act viewed as racist? Given how things have evolved today, that act of dressing in another person’s skin....if you will is viewed as racist. I know it’s because of the negative connotations if the “black face” spectre in the U.S. I’m not sure if it was ever representative of Canada. I would have to do some research.
Recently, one of the ladies on Real Housewives of New York wanted to pay homage to Diana Ross, and wore a huge Afro, but painted her face brown/black. That was for Halloween that year. Her cast mates were horrified, as well as some viewers. I knew she did it from a place of respect to Diana Ross. I thought it was quite humourous. She did not understand why she got so much flack. But it’s because today, everybody gets this knee jerk reaction to that vision, and immediately deem it racist. I.do.not! It has all become too political for my liking.
For the record, my view is that Justin Trudeau saw it as harmless fun 20 years ago. And that’s the way it was 20 years ago. That is actually the way a lot of white people operate on the whole. Does not make them racist.....just very unaware of the implications of some of their actions. All of this brouhaha is a tempest in a teapot.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Sun 22, 2019 5:44 pm

Miss_Vee wrote:
Sep Sun 22, 2019 4:17 pm
One of many things I have learned in this whole debate about white people trying to depict themselves as another race, whilst trying to lend authenticity to the part, be it a Halloween costume or another themed event is that the depiction comes from a harmless place most of the time. I do not know if we as a people can go back 20 plus years, and suggest that Justin Trudeau is racist, because he was a product of the times, at that time.
I am a black female, and if I had to attend a costumed event and wanted to dress as a white female and paint my face white 20 years ago, I would have done so. However, that is not viewed as racist. Even today, it’s not viewed as racist. Is it because he is white? Why is that act viewed as racist? Given how things have evolved today, that act of dressing in another person’s skin....if you will is viewed as racist. I know it’s because of the negative connotations if the “black face” spectre in the U.S. I’m not sure if it was ever representative of Canada. I would have to do some research.
Recently, one of the ladies on Real Housewives of New York wanted to pay homage to Diana Ross, and wore a huge Afro, but painted her face brown/black. That was for Halloween that year. Her cast mates were horrified, as well as some viewers. I knew she did it from a place of respect to Diana Ross. I thought it was quite humourous. She did not understand why she got so much flack. But it’s because today, everybody gets this knee jerk reaction to that vision, and immediately deem it racist. I.do.not! It has all become too political for my liking.
For the record, my view is that Justin Trudeau saw it as harmless fun 20 years ago. And that’s the way it was 20 years ago. That is actually the way a lot of white people operate on the whole. Does not make them racist.....just very unaware of the implications of some of their actions. All of this brouhaha is a tempest in a teapot.
This is my view.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Sun 22, 2019 5:52 pm

There are many Whites around the world who love and respect non-white public figures and dress up like them, including altering their skin tone, to show their feelings and support them.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Sun 22, 2019 5:55 pm

Graveller wrote:
Sep Fri 20, 2019 9:58 pm
FYI, In Afrikan culture, demons and bad spirits are often played by people who paint their face white. Just saying...

Ps: I have no problem with that tradition.
If Blacks were the dominant race in Belgium who widely discriminated against and denigrated Whites in all aspects and areas of life, including with respect to their appearance/whiteness, your feelings would likely change.

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Sep Sun 22, 2019 10:56 pm

Miss_Vee wrote:
Sep Sun 22, 2019 4:17 pm
The very reason I have little sympathy for Trudeau.

This whole culture of outrage/virtue signaling/political correctness to gain some type of cheap
sociopolitical moral high ground. People simply looking to be offended and assign ill intentions
to others on arbitrary grounds. Remember the flack a young white girl got over simply wearing
a Chinese dress to her prom. These types have become insufferable and people are reaching
their breaking points with the continual barrage of nonsense.

Trudeau is but a victim of the very things he himself has engaged in in this culture of
outrage/virtue signaling/political correctness. One would hope he would take a step
back and plead for some return to sanity. Yet, he would be crucified by his own for that as well.