PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

Biggest WTA story of the 2016

Predict WTA Winners and Champions every week.

What's the biggesWTA story of the year?

Azarenka Pregnant
No votes
Sharapova doping
33%
Kerber winning 2 slams
50%
Puig winning the Olympics
17%

Total votes: 6

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Biggest WTA story of the 2016

Post by Ace2Ace » Nov Mon 21, 2016 4:14 pm

What's the biggesWTA story of the year?

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Nov Mon 21, 2016 5:35 pm

Voted for Kerber; and for me her #1 ranking is part of that story.

Sharapova and Azarenka their story is actually a story about being careless, and Puig is a fluke-story...
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Nov Tue 22, 2016 5:54 pm

My vote is for "Sharapova doping". That story had a far reach, way beyond the tennis world. Magazine, news site big and small, everyone was talking about it for weeks because of who sharapova is.

Kerber's story is mostly for tennis fans. She won the Australian Open, disappeared until Wimbledon, then on and off again. If you ask people on the street who is women's #1 player, most will answer Serena. Some will even say Venus. I won't be surprised to hear Hingis. lol .. Kerber is virtually unknown outside the tennis world so her story is less known. Not the biggest story this year out of WTA in my opinion. A big personal story yes. For the public at large, no.

Same as Puig. She was unheard off by the big public, she is still a no name on the streets afer the Olympics.

Azarenka is in the same group. People on the streets will say Aza who? Her story lasted a day or two and that was it.

For me, it's Sharapova's story... by far.

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Nov Wed 23, 2016 1:29 am

Kerber! Knew she was talented, but never expected this.

Puig I agree with Graveller was a fluke.
Vika not the first or last to become pregnant.
Maria carelessness, nothing more.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Nov Sat 26, 2016 3:05 pm

careless or not, was it the biggest story of the WTA? That's the question.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#What story made the NEWS? What story on front page for weeks, on every TV, every magazine, every web site? Kerber, Puig and Azarenka barely made the top for a full 2/3-weeks...
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Nov Sat 26, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Nov Sat 26, 2016 5:42 pm

WTA = Women's TENNIS Association.

Tennis happens on a court... so personally, the biggest WTA story is about something happening on a court... taking doping is not part of that.

The woman has done enough damage already. No way that I would even consider her actions more important than someone winning gold or someone winning two slams.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Nov Sat 26, 2016 10:17 pm

Again, it's not what you consider important or not important.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#It's what WTA story was the most talked about, the most publicized, had the most impact on the news in general. Kerber's 2 slams may have been great at the WTA level, but news wise, it was not as publicized and talked about as Sharapova's story.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#I posted this at TF. And some people are taking the same approach. For them, it's more what story they like and which one they don't like... But that's only about 40% of the responses.  they are missing the mark.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#at TF, from 124 responses, it's#ed_op#br#ed_cl#54% Sharapova -- 68#ed_op#br#ed_cl#25% Kerber. --- 32#ed_op#br#ed_cl#I think that's about right.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Nov Sat 26, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Nov Sun 27, 2016 2:39 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

For me, it is not a WTA story. WTA is about tennis achievements.

If on TF there are 54% that voted for Maria, then I conlude that only a minority are really interested in tennis. The others are actually more interested in the off-court scandals, parties, private life, love affairs etc.. of the players.

It is a sad world when those topics are considered more important than achievements on a tennis court. Says a lot about the mindset of people these days.

Glad that I am not part of such negativity and selected an on-court achievement as my story of the year.
Last edited by Graveller on Nov Sun 27, 2016 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Nov Sun 27, 2016 10:54 am

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Graveller#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#&nbsp;
It is a sad world when those topics are considered #ed_op#b#ed_cl#more important #ed_op#/b#ed_cl#than achievements on a tennis court.
still missing the poll. It was not about Most Important Story of the Year.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Nov Mon 28, 2016 1:05 am

Important, bigger, significant,... all interchangeable words from my point of view &#128512;

I still think it is a sad world when tennis-fans consider that someone using doping is bigger than a player further developing and winning 2 slams (+ the #1).
I can understand it when it comes from non-tennis fans, but I expected better from people who are fan of the sport (and therefore post on a tennis forum).