PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

Biggest WTA story of the 2016

Predict WTA Winners and Champions every week.

What's the biggesWTA story of the year?

Azarenka Pregnant
No votes
Sharapova doping
33%
Kerber winning 2 slams
50%
Puig winning the Olympics
17%

Total votes: 6

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Nov Mon 28, 2016 9:05 am

If you consider the larger public, there are a hell more people than tennis fans.
Therefor, a famous tennis player story about doping will be a bigger story than a tennis player winning a slam.
One story is global because it reaches a larger audience, the other story is only in the tennis world.
For instance, if I ask who are the Women's beach volleyball #1 team, very few on the street will know. Even if I give the names, people would still not know who they are unless they follow that sport. It's about the same for tennis.

Sharapova's name goes beyond tennis. Therefor, the public at large will hear and remember her doping story more than some girl winning a slam. Many don't even know what a Slam is. :)
We are talking about bigger audience, bigger story.. not achievement. Those are 2 different things.

It's quite simple IMO.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Nov Mon 28, 2016 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zvezda_red
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Zvezda_red » Nov Mon 28, 2016 11:58 am

Aza's pregnancy is a tennis story? debatable

I think Kerber winning two majors
Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine

Tesla

King_Stacio
Regular
Regular

Re:Biggest WTA story of the 2016

Post by King_Stacio » Nov Mon 28, 2016 3:37 pm

I submitted my vote for Sharapova, and am in agreement with Ace wholeheartedly.

Tennis, as an elitist sport, also has its pretentious fans.

The biggest WTA story is the news that transcended the sport and made the most headlines, whether tennis fans like it or not.

Sports fans in general don't even know who Kerber or Puig is. I'm Puertorican, was proud for our island's monumental win, but, as a tennis fan for over a decade (Serena being the catalyst), I know a fluke when I see one. Kerber proved us all wrong, but that was not the biggest story of the WTA, as she was never one of the sport's brightest starts. Sharapova, on the other hand... Like Serena and Venus, she transcends the sport. Her doping "scandal" not only rocked the WTA up until this point, but the sports world as a whole. Case and point, when most sports fans (unfortunately, even some tennis fans) reflect back on Serena's 2015 they will remember her US Open semifinal loss over the three slams she won. I can't tell you how often I got the, "didn't she lose the US Open that year" remark when discussing tennis and Serena.

In entertainment/media the bad news is always the "good" news. Kerber wasn't selling magazines off the shelves in masses or the topic of conversation within every media/news outlet (even outside of sports media).

Remember, tennis has its fluke tournament results, as well as its fluke years. Let's wait and see what Kerber does going forward... The cold truth is, no one is afraid to play her. She is always beatable, even at her best.
Last edited by King_Stacio on Nov Mon 28, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Dec Thu 01, 2016 10:18 pm

If the original question had been more specific then okay. However, I suspect someone may have#ed_op#br#ed_cl#been looking to nudge everyone towards voting for a specific story, maybe? #ed_op#img src="/board/richedit/smileys/Teasing/5.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Dec Fri 02, 2016 8:14 am

:) conspiracy galore. How would you ask the original question.

What's the biggest WTA story of the Year?
It's pretty obvious that means the story with the biggest coverage.
If that same question was asked about this country, the obvious answer for me would be the election of Donald Trump as President of the USA. But I would not be surprised some folks finding other stories like Chicago Cubs winning.

Mytiwtiw

Post by Mytiwtiw » Dec Fri 02, 2016 8:36 am

I say the biggest/greatest story of the year is the coming back of Maria early next year after wrongfully accused.

anishmitch
Senior
Senior

Post by anishmitch » Dec Fri 02, 2016 9:35 pm

Easily Kerber winning two slams, especially after almost being eliminated early in the AO.  I believe she made 8 finals, including three slams and won three.  Maria hadn't won a slam in two years and was a different player when she saw Serena in the draw, Puig was a fluke,  Azarenka was sad, but that is life.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#