Tournaments this week

2020 French Open

Building competitive mixed ATP-WTA teams for the Grand Slams
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
Re: 2020 French Open

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Tue 29, 2020 7:29 pm

Princess Kristina promised us a few years ago that her success would not go to her head. Oh, well....

Kristina Mladenovic loses in French Open after big lead, blames umpire

PARIS -- Kristina Mladenovic's first match since her nightmarish end to the US Open produced another collapse and a controversial umpire's call at the French Open on Tuesday.

The French player lost to Laura Siegemund of Germany 7-5, 6-3 after serving for the first set at 5-1.

Mladenovic was furious with chair umpire Eva Asderaki for not spotting a double bounce on set point. During a 10-stroke exchange, Mladenovic hit a drop shot that Siegemund ran for and got back over the net -- although a TV replay showed the ball bounced twice. Mladenovic slowed up, looked confused, and wound up touching the net, which automatically gave the point to Siegemund.

"I think the chair umpire was the only person not to have seen it on the center court," Mladenovic said.

"Mistakes are human but I don't see how the umpire can miss that. She didn't see a double bounce. Unfortunately she will continue at Roland Garros, and I won't continue at Roland Garros."

That point and the first set should have belonged to her right then because of the double bounce, but neither Siegemund, who faced questions of unsportsmanlike conduct, nor Asderaki acknowledged as much.

Mladenovich, however, said the blame lies solely with the umpire.

"If [Siegeman] would have done it, she would have all my respect and be super fair play," Mladenovic said. "But she's not the one responsible. I think the chair umpire is the one that should be really focused on that call."

Siegemund also said it wasn't up to her to make the call, and that she wasn't sure right away whether the ball had bounced twice.

"I can maybe understand a little bit that [Mladenovic] is getting at me, but I think she should get at the umpire. She had plenty of other opportunities," Siegemund said. "I'm coming running full speed. If in that call I say, 'Oh, it was a double bounce,' and later I see on the video it was not, I would be angry at myself."

Mladenovic suggested tennis should start using video replays, like the highly controversial VAR system used in soccer.

"It would be great and we'd avoid a sad scenario like I had today," Mladenovic said.

It wasn't quite as sad as Flushing Meadows, though, where she served for the match at 6-1, 5-1 against Varvara Gracheva then lost a tiebreaker and was crushed 6-0 in the third set.

She called that the most painful loss of her career. Four days later, there was more misery when she was part of the top-seeded women's doubles team dropped from the US Open for having been potentially exposed to COVID-19.

Public health officials who oversaw her tournament hotel said she was at risk after playing cards in a group including Benoit Paire, the Frenchman removed after testing positive for the virus. She had to go into quarantine.

In other women's first-round matches, second-seeded Karolina Pliskova beat Mayar Sherif 6-7 (9), 6-2, 6-4. Sherif was the first Egyptian player to qualify for the main draw at Roland Garros.

Pliskova, the former top-ranked player, reached the semifinals at Roland Garros in 2017 and next faces Jelena Ostapenko. The big-hitting Latvian player won the French Open that year.

Danish teenager Clara Tauson earned her first tour-level victory by beating US Open semifinalist Jennifer Brady 6-4, 3-6, 9-7. The 17-year-old Tauson, who won the Australian Open junior title last year, saved two match points.

Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin, the fourth seed, got through a three-set test in her first-round match, winning 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 victory in nearly two hours against 125th-ranked Liudmilla Samsonova.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Oct Thu 01, 2020 1:46 pm

Kiki Bertens accused of exaggerating injury after leaving court in wheelchair

Fifth seed Kiki Bertens left the court in a wheelchair after her victory over Sara Errani before being accused by the Italian of exaggerating her injury.

The Dutchwoman was in tears with cramps after her 7-6 (7-5) 3-6 9-7 win over the 2012 finalist, who quickly departed without tapping racquets at the net, and also shouted an obscenity.

"I don't like it when someone is joking on you," Errani said.

"I don't think she had a good attitude on court."

Errani, who three times failed to serve out the match and squandered a match point at 6-5, added: "One hour she has an injury and goes out of the court on a chair and now she is perfect in the restaurant. I don't like these things, I'm sorry."

Asked if she thought Bertens was exaggerating, she replied: "Yes." And asked if the Dutchwoman needed the wheelchair, she said: "Ask her."
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Oct Thu 01, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Oct Thu 01, 2020 1:53 pm

POSPISIL: PLAYERS HAVE IT "MUCH WORSE" AT ROLAND GARROS THAN US OPEN

"The US Open, there was a much bigger effort I felt from the organization to make the time in the bubble a little bit more comfortable."

Roland Garros competitors don't have the kind of facilities they did at the US Open, says Vasek Pospisil, and other players have agreed.

The tournament has two hotels occupied largely but not entirely by players, and unlike the US Open, Roland Garros is admitting 1,000 spectators each day. Players are not allowed to leave the hotel except to practice or play.

"Yeah, much worse. At least for the players, the hotel, the hotel we're staying at, it's tough," Pospisil said. "We don't have anything. The US Open, there was a much bigger effort I felt from the organization to make the time in the bubble a little bit more comfortable."

At the US Open, players had some recreational facilities, lounges and games on site and at the hotel, though they were also not allowed to go elsewhere. In Paris, have a small lounge at the hotel.

"I think almost every player I've spoken to was sharing the same opinion. Yeah, it's not easy to be stuck in the bubble. You don't want to be on-site all day because it's also a stressful environment," said Pospisil, who along with Novak Djokovic recently started the Professional Tennis Players Association (PTPA) to represent pros on tour.

"The only place you can go is the hotel."

Some players also would prefer not to have others at the hotel at all.

"If we are forbidden to leave, then we should not see the public there," said Dan Evans.

Before the tournament, organizers had indicated that players would not be in a fully-contained environment.

"We do not think in terms of a sealed bubble," FFT official Jean-Francois Vilotte had said .

But Denis Shapovalov said the hard-court Grand Slam he played two weeks before did "do better," and wasn't sure why Roland Garros wasn't similar. The rescheduled tournament has had to change plans because of increasing government restrictions on events and gatherings, reducing crowds from 11,500 to 1,000 just days before the start of play.

"Obviously, they didn't know if the tournament was going to happen," Pospisil said. "I don't know... if they didn't have very much time to try to make the conditions better for players, more comfortable. Obviously, some players are going to be here for two, three weeks."

The tournament is being played with safety protocols approved by local authorities.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Oct Thu 01, 2020 1:54 pm

Spain’s Fernando Verdasco announced he plans to sue Roland Garros tournament organizers after he was forced to withdraw from the event due to a positive coronavirus test.

Verdasco, currently ranked No. 59 in the world, believes the test was inaccurate. He requested another test from organizers but was denied. Verdasco later tested negative after he had to withdraw.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Oct Sat 03, 2020 8:30 pm

How are my best buds doing??

Go Djoker 8)

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Oct Sat 03, 2020 8:31 pm

OH NO!!!

:cry:

Grossefavourite wrote:
Oct Thu 01, 2020 1:46 pm
Kiki Bertens accused of exaggerating injury after leaving court in wheelchair

Fifth seed Kiki Bertens left the court in a wheelchair after her victory over Sara Errani before being accused by the Italian of exaggerating her injury.

The Dutchwoman was in tears with cramps after her 7-6 (7-5) 3-6 9-7 win over the 2012 finalist, who quickly departed without tapping racquets at the net, and also shouted an obscenity.

"I don't like it when someone is joking on you," Errani said.

"I don't think she had a good attitude on court."

Errani, who three times failed to serve out the match and squandered a match point at 6-5, added: "One hour she has an injury and goes out of the court on a chair and now she is perfect in the restaurant. I don't like these things, I'm sorry."

Asked if she thought Bertens was exaggerating, she replied: "Yes." And asked if the Dutchwoman needed the wheelchair, she said: "Ask her."

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Oct Sat 03, 2020 11:46 pm

I'm a real red girl :P

Sebe was so sick of me, lol lol lol

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Oct Sat 03, 2020 11:48 pm

I drink, but I don't get drunk ~ Can't die either!!

Remarkable 8)

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Oct Sat 03, 2020 11:49 pm

Heavily protected

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Oct Sat 03, 2020 11:51 pm