Tournaments this week

Wednesday Day 3 AO OOP

Building competitive mixed ATP-WTA teams for the Grand Slams
rex
Commish
Commish
Re:Wednesday Day 3 AO OOP

Post by rex » Jan Tue 16, 2018 11:08 pm

Looks like Jana is folding in the clutch. Caro' on the comeback, down 4-5 but on serve.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Jan Tue 16, 2018 11:19 pm

Jana's giving up points, points that she wasn't giving away up to this point. Feeling the pressure obviously to close. She'll think about this for awhile if she loses this match, for she has played very well to come out with the victory.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Tue 16, 2018 11:22 pm

Haha, Fett chance. Caro wins!!!

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Jan Wed 17, 2018 12:37 am

Kasatkina took the fall v Linette, 7-6 6-2.

Jo Willy came from the brink to beat Shapovalov in 5, last set 7-5. Only caught the end of the match but the announcers were saying the Jo Willy was on the brink of defeat ere recovering to win.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jan Wed 17, 2018 3:20 am

Starting waking up on wednesday and find out that Pavlyuchenkova, Bencic, Kasatlina, Barthel and Shapovalov lost.... pffff.....
(and Belgians Flipkens and Bemelmans too)

Svitolina and Ostapenko saved the day for me... Maybe Mertens can join them too.

That bottom R16 section looks like a decent International (at least 10 of the 16 are not even top 30... on paper there should only be one non -top30 in the last 32).
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jan Wed 17, 2018 4:01 am

Cornet serves for the match vs Goerges and delivers with a love-game.
6-4 6-3.

I have not seen too many matches from Goerges lately; I quite liked her a few years ago - especially on clay - but there was something lacking that stopped me from believing that she could become a true top player.

Today confirmed that opinion. I simply cannot believe that Goerges got to #12. I guess this match was not representative for Julia's recent form. Nevertheless....

So the 3rd quarter gets more and more 'open'...
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jan Wed 17, 2018 4:04 am

3rd quarter:
Kumkhum, Martic, Cornet or Mertens/Gavrilova will meet Allertova/Linette/Kostyuk/Svitolina for a spot in a slam SF...

We need an Ostapenko/Wozniacki QF in the 4th quarter to "save" the bottom section.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jan Wed 17, 2018 4:20 am

Just watched the decisive TB in set 3 between Kyrgios and Troicki.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#The Australian audience went wild, and rightfully so: this TB is a must-watch for every tennis fan. Nick demonstrating in the timespan of a single TB that he masters every shot in the game: dropshot, slice, ace, CC, shots DTL. And he delivered effortless. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#I have not ever seen a similar impressive display by Zverev or Thiem... or even Pouille... #ed_op#br#ed_cl#You may not like his temper, but the talent is undeniable.
Last edited by Graveller on Jan Wed 17, 2018 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jan Wed 17, 2018 8:12 am

Are you kidding me? Julia is out? wow .

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jan Wed 17, 2018 8:15 am

<font color="brown">@ <b>Graveller</b>:</font>

I have not seen too many matches from Goerges lately; I quite liked her a few years ago - especially on clay - but there was something lacking that stopped me from believing that she could become a true top player.
Julia always has a big , powerful game. Her problem has been, like with so many players, consistency. I thought she's solved that problem the last 12 months.
Losing to girls like Wozniacki and Cornet should not be happening again... Ugly result today.
<span class="postbody">
</span>
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Jan Wed 17, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.