PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

Day 8....Wimby

Building competitive mixed ATP-WTA teams for the Grand Slams
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Tue 11, 2017 1:26 pm

It's just going to multiply, intensify and get out of hand when Konta plays Venus. Don;t be surprised if a few racists incidents occur. Even Murray complained a few years ago that he was often racially/ethnically abused by British fans, particularly when he lost.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Tue 11, 2017 1:42 pm

Coco is playing.. . almost at the door to leave Wimbley...

Skilletsauce
Junior
Junior

Re:Day 8....Wimby

Post by Skilletsauce » Jul Tue 11, 2017 2:26 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>rex</b>:</font>

I'm not quite sure if the chair has discretion under those circumstances Rex. Fans yell out quite often during play and even yell "out" calls so I believe the chair can only admonish the crowd when it happens.

It was truly a very bad way for the match to end as Simona was cleary disturbed by the loud shriek and Konta seemed stunned as well as she went to shake Simona's hand. Crowd partisanship at its absolute worst. I believe I saw someone in Konta's box mutter "oh well too bad." Truly disgusting.
Last edited by Skilletsauce on Jul Tue 11, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Tue 11, 2017 2:32 pm

The irony is that Romania and the UK just recently had a similar incident in Fed Cup, with Konta left visibly shaken by the crowd's behavior. Illie Nastase was punished by the WTA for his part.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/39677397
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Jul Tue 11, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Tue 11, 2017 2:39 pm

This is no doubt directed at Graveller by an Ace supporter at the BBC:

Ostapenko impresses in defeat by Venus

11 Jul 2017 From the section Tennis

French Open winner Jelena Ostapenko, 20, impresses on her Centre Court debut despite a straight-sets defeat by five-time champion Venus Williams in the Wimbledon quarter-finals.

rex
Commish
Commish

Re:Day 8....Wimby

Post by rex » Jul Tue 11, 2017 3:02 pm

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Skilletsauce#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#i#ed_cl#Someone on the TF looked in the ITF rule book for some sort of infraction by either let or hindrance, but there is nothing in the rule book authorizing the Chair to call a let, or hindrance due to crowd disturbance during match play and replay the point. All the Chair can do by rule is admonish the crowd to keep quiet. Thus, Kader couldn't do anything by rule to address the action by a few fans in the crowd that caused Simona to pause, then&nbsp; lose match point. An unfitting ending indeed to a great match. #ed_op#/i#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Tue 11, 2017 4:38 pm

Rybarikova in the semi... nice story but will root for Garbine.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Tue 11, 2017 7:14 pm

The money raised from fines goes towards the Grand Slam Development Fund, which pays for tennis scholarships in developing countries. It was this system which produced Jelena Ostapenko, the unseeded Latvian player who went on to win the French Open this year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07 ... ees-worst/

RU90
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by RU90 » Jul Tue 11, 2017 8:34 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Graveller</b>:</font>

Not just a nice story, but Rybarikova is playing the highest-quality grass-court tennis of anyone (18-1 record). She uses slice, drop shot, lob, exactly as they should be, on all dimensions of the court. Not a power player who mindlessly bashes from the baseline who runs hot and cold.