Tournaments this week

Barty ... Wait, what?

All Tennis, All the Time
PeterSkan
Senior
Senior
Barty ... Wait, what?

Post by PeterSkan » Mar Tue 22, 2022 9:21 pm

Has April Fools come early in Australia?

What's going on???
go firmly to the window
and listen with deep emotion,
but not with the whining, the pleas of the coward;
listen-your final pleasure-to the voices,
to the exquisite music of that strange procession

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Re: Barty ... Wait, what?

Post by Graveller » Mar Wed 23, 2022 8:18 am

Well, certainly a loss for the WTA tour when the leading lady decides that here is more in life than tennis.
A loss for us tennis fans, but I can understand her: once you've accomplished all your goals - requiring 100% dedication for years in a row, the drive may not be there anymore. She has done it all: winning a slam on all there surfaces (incl her home slam), #1 for a long time, winning the Masters. I think that winning the AO this year was the last motivation, and that is gone now.

If that is the case, then enjoying life and money is the best option, and I wish her the best. And stopping at your peak (like Henin) is something most players want. Federer: this is what you should have done years ago.

(and if she decides in 3-4 years that there is a new desire to play, she still can do so)
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Mar Wed 23, 2022 8:31 am

Will be interesting to see who will become the next leading lady. I can only see 20y old Swiatek in the next couple of years: the current #2 has her slam already at RG 2020, and now won back-to-back WTA 1000 events (Doha and IW). And all main players were there (apart from now-retired Barty).

She also looks like an all-courter: AO SF 2022, Doha and IW on hard-court, RG 2020 on clay, and her only junior slam on grass.

Looking at the top 20, I see only Sabalenka (if she gets her game sorted out), Gauff and Rybakina. And maybe Fernandez. And I fear that Osaka (currently outside the top 20) has the game, but not the head. And Raducanu has to forget that she won a slam. It feels that winning that event forced her to skip some important steps in her development.

Some interesting months ahead :-)
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Mar Wed 23, 2022 9:23 am

I thought this was a joke.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Mar Wed 23, 2022 9:35 am

She left once before and came back stronger. I did question it, so I'm really sus. Did she even lose a set in winning AO?

Joylan1
Junior
Junior

Post by Joylan1 » Mar Wed 23, 2022 1:00 pm

Not hating on Barty but she was a boing number 1 player who didn't bring much excitement to the women's game .

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Mar Wed 23, 2022 3:27 pm

Joylan1 wrote:
Mar Wed 23, 2022 1:00 pm
Not hating on Barty but she was a boing number 1 player who didn't bring much excitement to the women's game .
We have a saying that everything before the word “but” isn’t true, and what comes after it, is an excuse for it.

Tennis experts disagree with you, and so do I. I saw some super matches from her: I will miss her all-court game that was more than the power-ball bashing we see so often.

Joylan1
Junior
Junior

Post by Joylan1 » Mar Wed 23, 2022 4:40 pm

Disagreeing is ok, doesn't mean your right.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Mar Thu 24, 2022 9:59 am

Found her boring too. I don't see the greatness. Apparently her BH slice is amazing.

serenarulz09
Senior
Senior

Post by serenarulz09 » Mar Thu 24, 2022 2:32 pm

I also found her to be very boring. She was a solid number 1 for the current, less than mediocre wta tour. She isn’t great, but who is thag is currently on the tour? Iga seems to be showing some hope.