Tournaments this week

Naomi Withdraws from Wimby

All Tennis, All the Time
Joylan1
Junior
Junior
Re: Naomi Withdraws from Wimby

Post by Joylan1 » Jul Fri 16, 2021 3:05 pm

So I don't choose America and suddenly people are like, 'Your Black card is revoked.' And it's like, African American isn't the only Black, you know? I don't know, I feel like people really don't know the difference between nationality and race because there's a lot of Black people in Brazil, but they're Brazilian."

Osaka announced that she would be relinquishing her American citizenship in 2019. The tennis star who was born in Japan but moved to New York at the age of 3 previously held dual American and Japanese citizenship. But under Japan's Nationality Act, those who hold dual citizenship must choose one before their 22nd birthday.

Osaka's mother is Japanese, and her father is Haitian.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Fri 16, 2021 5:18 pm

With all the money and fame she has now, why opt for a Haitian citizenship?

Joylan1
Junior
Junior

Post by Joylan1 » Jul Fri 16, 2021 6:54 pm

She pick Japan for the money. She claim she did it to honor her mother.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Mon 26, 2021 10:52 am

Naomi Osaka wins opening tennis match at Tokyo Olympics, feeling 'refreshed, happy again'

TOKYO -- Naomi Osaka is back playing tennis, still winning and also talking to the media again.

The Japanese superstar who lit the Olympic cauldron defeated 52nd-ranked Zheng Saisai of China 6-1, 6-4 on Sunday at the Tokyo Games in her first match in nearly two months.

Osaka hadn't played since she withdrew from the French Open in May to take a mental health break, revealing that she has dealt with depression. She then sat out Wimbledon.

Osaka stopped to talk with reporters after Sunday's match, having said in Paris that she experiences "huge waves of anxiety" before meeting with the media and that she would be skipping news conferences.

"More than anything else, I'm just focused on playing tennis," Osaka said. "The Olympics has been a dream of mine since I was a kid, so I feel like the break that I took was very needed. I feel definitely a little bit refreshed, and I'm happy again."

She added that she was "happy" that reporters were asking her questions, then said: "I feel a little bit out of my body right now."

"There's nothing wrong with my body; I just felt really nervous," Osaka said. "I haven't played since France, so there were definitely some things that I did a bit wrong, but I think I can improve in the matches that I continue playing."

The second-ranked Osaka was sharp from the start, serving an ace down the T on the opening point of the match and racing out to a 5-0 lead.

Wearing a bright red dress and a red visor and with her hair styled in red-and-white braids to match the colors of the Japanese flag stitched onto the left side of her chest, Osaka served six aces in all and produced 25 winners to Zheng's 10.

Osaka's match was originally scheduled to open the tournament Saturday but then was pushed back a day before her starring role in Friday's opening ceremony.

"I feel very, very proud," Osaka said, revealing that Olympic organizers asked her to handle the cauldron honors back in March.

"When I lit the flame, I was super honored," she added. "I think that's a position that you dream about and not anyone can do it. So, for me, when they asked me if I wanted to, I was very surprised but very honored. And I'm just very happy to be here and very happy to play -- especially in Tokyo."

Osaka will next face 50th-ranked Viktorija Golubic of Switzerland.

On a good day for the host country, 2016 bronze medalist Kei Nishikori beat fifth-seeded Andrey Rublev 6-3, 6-4.

For other top players in the tennis tournament at the Tokyo Games, it wasn't so straightforward.

Top-ranked Ashleigh Barty was upset by 48th-ranked Spanish opponent Sara Sorribes Tormo 6-4, 6-3, and two-time defending gold medalist Andy Murray withdrew from singles because of a right quad strain.

Both still remain in the doubles competition.

Heat and humidity were issues again, with the temperature rising to 91 degrees and the sun baking the hard courts at Ariake Tennis Park.

Also advancing was Wimbledon finalist Karolina Pliskova of the Czech Republic, No. 3 Aryna Sabalenka of Belarus, No. 4 Elina Svitolina of Ukraine, No. 7 Garbine Muguruza of Spain and No. 10 Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic.

Carla Suarez Navarro, the Spaniard who plans to retire this year, beat Ons Jabeur of Tunisia 6-4, 6-1 for her first victory since recovering from Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

Camila Giorgi of Italy eliminated Jennifer Brady, the American who was this year's Australian Open finalist, 6-3, 6-2.

Among the men advancing were third-seeded Stefanos Tsitsipas of Greece, No. 4 Alexander Zverev of Germany, No. 7 Hubert Hurkacz of Poland, No. 8 Diego Schwartzman of Argentina, No. 12 Karen Khachanov of ROC and Max Purcell of Australia -- who took Murray's spot in the draw and defeated Felix Auger-Aliassime 6-4, 7-6 (2).

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Mon 26, 2021 10:55 am

TOKYO (AP) — There were never any questions about Naomi Osaka’s potential on the tennis court when she took a two-month mental health break.

Especially on hard courts — the surface being used at the Tokyo Olympics and the surface on which Osaka has won all four of her Grand Slam titles.

The Japanese superstar crushed winners off both wings — forehand and backhand — seemingly at will in a 6-3, 6-2 win over 49th-ranked Viktorija Golubic of Switzerland on Monday to reach the last 16 at the Ariake Tennis Park.

It was similar to the way Osaka overwhelmed Zheng Saisai of China a day earlier and it extended her momentum after carrying out the ultimate honor at the Games’ opening ceremony by lighting the Olympic cauldron.

Joylan1
Junior
Junior

Post by Joylan1 » Jul Tue 27, 2021 3:14 am

Osaka lost, her and her braids can go home.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Tue 27, 2021 10:08 am

Joylan1 wrote:
Jul Tue 27, 2021 3:14 am
Osaka lost, her and her braids can go home.
the braids match the dress color. Got to be wild sometimes.

sekasi
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by sekasi » Jul Wed 28, 2021 1:31 pm

Ace2Ace wrote:
Jul Tue 27, 2021 10:08 am
the braids match the dress color. Got to be wild sometimes.
:lol: :lol:
You can't be Japanese and wild. :lol: :lol: Leave those colorful braids to Venus.
Was that her first time in braids?

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Thu 29, 2021 11:49 am

sekasi wrote:
Jul Wed 28, 2021 1:31 pm
:lol: :lol:
You can't be Japanese and wild. :lol: :lol: Leave those colorful braids to Venus.
Was that her first time in braids?
Never seen her in braids before this. But having now a boyfriend can make one become less timid.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Thu 29, 2021 12:05 pm

Daniil Medvedev furious with reporter who asked about Russia's doping: 'You should be embarrassed'

Daniil Medvedev doesn't want to answer questions about a doping scandal that has kept Russia out of the Tokyo Olympics. Medvedev exploded at a reporter who asked about the scandal Wednesday, telling the reporter, "You should be embarrassed of yourself."

The reporter asked Medvedev — who is Russian — if Russian athletes at the Olympics carry a "stigma of cheaters" due to the International Olympic Committee banning the country from the games.

Medvedev asked the reporter to repeat the question before saying he wasn't going to answer it. When the reporter attempted to clarify, Medvedev grew more frustrated, according to Eurosport.

"I’m talking now. It’s the first time in my life I’m not gonna answer a question and you should be embarrassed of yourself ... I don’t wanna see you again."

The question came after Medvedev defeated Fabio Fognini in three sets Wednesday. Despite the win, Medvedev was not happy due to the extreme heat on the court. He asked the court judge what would happen if he died on the court, and needed a 10-minute break prior to the third set due to the conditions

Russian athletes still able to compete at Tokyo Olympics
While the country of Russia is banned from the Tokyo Olympics, Russian athletes are not. They are still competing in the games, but are representing the Russian Olympic Committee. The ROC has performed well in Tokyo, winning 7 gold medals and sitting 5th in the total medal count Thursday.

Russia received a two-year ban from the Olympics in 2020. The ban applies for both the Tokyo Olympics and the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing.

The country's doping scandal extends back to the 2014 games in Sochi. Russia reportedly swapped out dirty tests for clean ones at those games. Russia took home the most gold medals and led the way in total medals at the 2014 Winter Olympics.