Tournaments this week

FO Main Draw Ladies 5/27/21

All Tennis, All the Time
Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: FO Main Draw Ladies 5/27/21

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Wed 09, 2021 8:57 am

Good luck to all the ladies. But specially to my girl Zidansek, Go!!!!!! I have been a fan since your ITF days, when you were wrestling with darling Aiava. :) Now Aiava is playing ITF-500099 while you are in a slam SF. Well done.
Aiva just won a match against a perfect sprayer with 2 spectators and no ball boys. lol lol .. maybe should play in my backyard.. at least I can get 6 people to watch..

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Jun Wed 09, 2021 9:57 pm

Rooting hard for Pavs!!! 😊

Joylan1
Junior
Junior

Post by Joylan1 » Jun Thu 10, 2021 12:04 am

Ugh......

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Jun Thu 10, 2021 9:50 am

Good on Anastasia in reaching her lst Slam final at age 29. Disappointing career as a fan, but it's a nice achievement for her at this point.

Nice run for Zidansek, tho' I thought she was the better player in this match. Dismissed herself with more than a few misses on makeable balls.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Thu 10, 2021 10:00 am

The girls are getting a lesson on how hard and therefore special it is to repeat as champion or to win back to back slams. All hail the WS!!! Did Juicy repeat as RG champion?

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jun Thu 10, 2021 11:15 am

Rex, totally on board with you... Pavs was supposed to be heir to my fan-throne that was left empty by Henin. She never fully delivered on her talent; I guess it was a question of mentality and motivation to work hard(er) on her weaknesses.

Grosse: Henin did even do the triple at RG: 2005, 2006, 2007. And if it hadn't been for her cytomegalovirus in 2004, she likely would have won 5 in a row... who was there to stop her on clay anyway... The only queen of clay so far this century! Hail to the clay-queen !!

Joylan: the "ugh" is what you get from tennis-player fans, not from tennis-fans. I guess you never even heard of Pavlyuchenkova :-)
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Thu 10, 2021 1:55 pm

This match between Pavlov and that girl should got 5-set.
Nothing separates these 2 ladies.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Jun Thu 10, 2021 3:45 pm

Ah.....no, 3 sets is good enough. The lst 2 sets of the match between Sakkari and Krej' weren't very good. The drama in the 3rd towards the end of the match made it a cliffhanger. But, overall it wasn't a good match. For one, I didn't like Babora's passiveness. She has a good lst serve, but she was soft-balling it. Her backhand reminds me of Lindsay's but she wasn't clicking with it, 'til the end of the 3rd set and the tiebreak. I thought she was going to lose the 3rd, down 3-5, but she fought back to tie at 5-all, abetted by Sakkari's key misses, poorly executed droppers in crucial moments and failure to hold serve. The moonball tactic worked for the most part, but the passiveness with her serve and ground game, plus easy errors in the clutch, was off-putting. Yet, I'm glad she dismissed Sakkari.

Further on Barbora, she's not news to me, for I watched her on the ITF circuit in her matches with Destanee, who btw has a 2-0 record against her, plus other ITF matches while keeping up with Bencic who was crawling through the ITF circuit after her ranking dropped due to her injury hiatus. Yet, noticed her game and believed that she could be top-100 and not a career ITF scrub, for she had skills, as aforementioned. At age 25 and 6 months she's 21st in the "live" rankings now that she's reached the finals here and it's good to see that she has elected to stay in singles after being frustrated with such, considered giving it up to merely concentrate on doubles for her tennis career. A late bloomer it seems, but good for her and her career.

As far as the final.....agreed they are both similar, but Barbora has a better game and weapons if she would aggressively use them. She kinda loped in that 3 setter with Sakkari and I don't know what she's going to do in the final. Like both and I don't know who to choose for the final at the moment, but the "x" factor for me is Barbora's aggressiveness or lack there of.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Thu 10, 2021 7:38 pm

They might as well just do away with seeding the women and let them play completely randomly.

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Jun Thu 10, 2021 7:55 pm

One more Pavs! 😊

A battle of nerves, not skills.
Whomever can meet the moment.