Tournaments this week

Miami Main Draw Ladies

All Tennis, All the Time
rex
Commish
Commish
Re: Miami Main Draw Ladies

Post by rex » Mar Fri 26, 2021 2:40 pm

Cori is still young, hasn't matured physically at 17 and is 4-6 years from her physical prime. Hardly a finished product at the moment, the loopy forehand will flatten out over time. What I'm waiting on for Cori' is a growth spurt, for in the end I expect her to be as tall as Venus ere Mother Nature calls it for her and then there will no limits.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Mar Fri 26, 2021 2:45 pm

Watching a nice match between Amanda and Sloane, 4-3 Amanda up in the lst. While watching this match, learned that Sloane lost a grandmother, grandfather and an aunt to the virus, coupled with her and her fiance parting ways. All this while currently in a tennis slump. A lot on her plate at the moment....

https://nz.news.yahoo.com/sloane-stephe ... 59506.html

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Mar Sat 27, 2021 3:29 am

R3 has so far nothing but interesting matches... looks like this is going to be a great event all the way. As usual, my focus will be on Bencic and Rybakina, but also interested in seeing how the Andreescu-Anisimova match turns out.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

sekasi
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by sekasi » Mar Sat 27, 2021 10:03 am

rex wrote:
Mar Fri 26, 2021 2:45 pm
Watching a nice match between Amanda and Sloane, 4-3 Amanda up in the lst. While watching this match, learned that Sloane lost a grandmother, grandfather and an aunt to the virus, coupled with her and her fiance parting ways. All this while currently in a tennis slump. A lot on her plate at the moment....
That is a lot to deal with.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Mar Sat 27, 2021 1:07 pm

Ana K......just dismissed the talented Iga Swiatek in 3 sets, an upset. The lst set was some high quality tennis, both players with positive winners-to-ue ratios (Ana 12 winners to 3 donations, Iga 13 to 7), Ana winning the lst 6-4. The 2nd set started off with Iga holding serve to love, then the next 3 games became tiebreaks with Iga being broken, Ana a clean volley to go up 3-1, but returned the shot right back to Iga, who converted the return, then won game point. After that mishap, Ana fell apart and started to gift, likely upset at the missed opportunity, losing the set 2-6. Didn't know what to expect in the 3rd, but thought Iga would prevail given Ana's recent lack of winning matches prior to this event. Couldn't go by the Keys win, because Madison contributed significantly to Ana's win. Yet, Ana righted the ship and began to dictate much of the 3rd with Iga making some costly and unconventional mistakes to lose her service games, while Ana held serve and went on to win 6-2. Elated for Ana K, because this girl has top-10 talent and is the most talented of the Class of '97 (Naomi, Belinda, Jelena, who's not maturing at all, error-prone and reckless as yet). This run, tho' totally unexpected, is really the most positive story for this event and gives me and her fans optimism that she can resume her career and ascend to that top-10 status that she was earmarked for with her classmates. Nice respectful handshake between she and Iga (a hand grasp) with smiles, none of that tennis racquet touching.

Watched this match in neutral for I like both players, but Ana needed this win to get back into the mix and there will be more meetings between them down the road in a young, but very talented WTA with these 2 clearly a part of it.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1375862705383305218

Match stats: Ana K....."40" winners to only 18 donations and 10 aces; Iga 27, 21 and 5, respectively.

Gets Sevastova next, a winnable match and I will be watching.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Mar Sat 27, 2021 1:13 pm

Graveller wrote:
Mar Sat 27, 2021 3:29 am
R3 has so far nothing but interesting matches... looks like this is going to be a great event all the way. As usual, my focus will be on Bencic and Rybakina, but also interested in seeing how the Andreescu-Anisimova match turns out.
I intend to watch the Andreescu/Anisimova match, as well. Some of Amanda's backhands in her match with Sloane were something to see, wanting to see how Andreescu fares against such. Noticed that Andreescu has gotten into better shape, lost some of that fat, coupled with her physio is the same physio that worked with Naomi last year.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Mar Sat 27, 2021 4:09 pm

Btw, Simona withdrew and I didn't learn of her withdrawal 'til 5 mins ere Ana K's match with Iga began.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Mar Sun 28, 2021 12:35 pm

Pegula dismissed Kao Pliskova for the 3rd straight time in 3 sets. KP moving around the court as if she's wearing cement galoshes. She's coming out of the top-10 soon.....

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Mar Sun 28, 2021 1:03 pm

rex wrote:
Mar Sun 28, 2021 12:35 pm
Pegula dismissed Kao Pliskova for the 3rd straight time in 3 sets. KP moving around the court as if she's wearing cement galoshes. She's coming out of the top-10 soon.....
Yeah, she does seem cemented in place. Wondering if she's just trusting Sascha's plan B strategy and taking the losses on the chin for the moment. 3rd time this month Pegula has beaten her though.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Mar Mon 29, 2021 7:15 pm

I prefer Amanda's FH to Coco's. It's deceptively potent and she hits deep very, very often. Does anyone know the mph and error/winner stats on their respective forehands?

Clearly, she wasn't impressed with her loss today. LOL. I love these fake congrats at net.