Serena Williams 4 27
Naomi Osaka 5 25

Womens’s Singles First Serve Won Leaders

Kristyna Pliskova 1 1 82%
Naomi Osaka 2 6 79%
Ons Jabeur 3 3 77%
Serena Williams 4 6 77%
Jennifer Brady 5 6 77%

Womens’s Singles First Serve In Leaders (WHERE ARE SERENA & OSAKA????)

Sara Errani 1 3 80%
Whitney Osuigwe 2 1 79%
Jasmine Paolini 3 1 77%
Mayo Hibi 4 1 77%
Valeria Savinykh 5 1 76%
Cori Gauff 6 2 75%
Lizette Cabrera 7 1 74%
Arantxa Rus 8 1 74%
Mayar Sherif 9 2 74%
Elisabetta Cocciaretto 10 1 73%
Marie Bouzkova 11 1 73%
Caroline Garcia 12 2 73%
Laura Siegemund 13 1 72%
Destanee Aiava 14 1 72%
Greet Minnen 15 1 72%
Marta Kostyuk 17 1 71%
Andrea Petkovic 18 1 71%
Garbiñe Muguruza 19 4 71%
Su-Wei Hsieh
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Feb Thu 18, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Re: AO Main Draw Ladies 2021

Post by Graveller » Feb Thu 18, 2021 4:25 pm

Grossefavourite wrote:
Feb Thu 18, 2021 12:44 pm
She's always credited her opponents.
Give me a break...

"I guess she hit a lot of lucky shots"... after losing to Henin in 2007 at the US Open QF (7-6 6-1)... 3rd slam QF loss to Henin in that year....
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Feb Thu 18, 2021 4:28 pm

Graveller wrote:
Feb Thu 18, 2021 4:25 pm
Give me a break...

"I guess she hit a lot of lucky shots"... after losing to Henin in 2007 at the US Open QF (7-6 6-1)... 3rd slam QF loss to Henin in that year....
Juicy did hit a lot of lucky shots. You forgot Serena also said, "I'll beat her the next time we play, mark my words." She did retire right after Serena played her the next year in Miami and bagelled her. No more lucky shots. LOL

Plus I can't recall any complimentary remarks for Juicy coming from the other Belgian players, including Kim. Perhaps they did, I just can't recall off hand.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Feb Thu 18, 2021 5:31 pm

Ace2Ace wrote:
Feb Thu 18, 2021 2:19 pm
She can get her peak back if she changes coach. She needs to stop dumping easy balls in the net. She is not bending her knees. She's just swinging. Coach Oracene can fix that :) :)
If she can't retool, the current game is not going to cut it.
Coaching change at age "39/40".....!!!! Is that going to bring back speed, movement, powerful serves, blistering groundstrokes to produce +50 winners like in her prime, plus giving her a net game, Ace? Wearing a Flo-Jo body suit is not going to give Serena youth, vitality, movement, speed and limberness. It's just an outfit. The self-delusion.....

Yet, the sports commentators like Chris Evert, Mary Jo Fernandez and Renee Stubbs, specifically, keeps the Serena legend going with unbelievable comments about her current game and its impact ere an event or a match begins. Stubbs said at 2-2 in the lst said that after Naomi tied the match, Serena looked at her box as if to say 'don't worry, I got this'. Then what happened....... Yet, the presser....I lost it because "I" made errors, as if Naomi had nothing to do with you making those errors.

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Feb Thu 18, 2021 6:09 pm

It’s amusing in tennis that sportsmanship is seemingly questioned unless your fawning all over your opponent.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Feb Thu 18, 2021 6:42 pm

World's No. 7 and No. 2 and reigning Wimbledon Champion, threw everything but the kitchen sink at Serena, yet she beat them back to back. However, she's trash and should retire because she had a flat match thereafter, losing to World No. 4 and reigning USO Champion whom she'd beat in straight sets the last time they played.

Nonetheless, it's strange she's not promised to return to Australia, even on instagram. This is odd. Instead, she and Venus have posted a picture of Serena in a pose suggestive of someone who has come to terms and is free. Has anyone else seen it? What do you think?

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Feb Thu 18, 2021 7:11 pm

rex wrote:
Feb Thu 18, 2021 5:31 pm
Coaching change at age "39/40".....!!!! Is that going to bring back speed, movement, powerful serves, blistering groundstrokes to produce +50 winners like in her prime, plus giving her a net game, Ace? Wearing a Flo-Jo body suit is not going to give Serena youth, vitality, movement, speed and limberness. It's just an outfit. The self-delusion.....
Venus did change coach at 38/39 right? Wearing a Flo-Jo is a statement that she is still here. So yeah, attitude can move mountains. It can give youth back. She founds her legendary defense back. She can get a serve and ground strokes back if that's what she believes. At least she is giving it a try. So let's watch.
I already said, a few posts back, that it will be hard. But draws do fall apart. She can still play at a high level, with her current game. It defeated the #2 and the #7 ... Brady didn't have to face those to make the final.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Feb Thu 18, 2021 7:14 pm

It's a last minute outfit that Nike designed. She said she had nothing to do with it.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Feb Fri 19, 2021 5:49 am

Grossefavourite wrote:
Feb Thu 18, 2021 4:28 pm
You forgot Serena also said, "I'll beat her the next time we play, mark my words."
And what on earth has that statement to do with her supposedly always giving credit?
You are obviously one of those obsessed fans who need Serena to be Saint-Serena - perfect on every level; a bit pathetic imo.

If there is one thing that Justine and Serena have in common: both will never be in the top 100 of nice tennis players with lovely personality. You see: I have no problem whatsoever to aknowledge that a player that I really rooted for because of her game, was not a nice person off-court. So what, I wanted to watch and enjoy good tennis, not a Miss "I-Am-The-Nicest" contest.

And stop feeling so insecure: any tennis fan knows who the GOAT is : Serena. No question about that. But stop with the nonsense of her being nice, friendly, respectful all the time. If you want to use those words in combination with the name Williams, then I suggest that you refer to Venus. But please not Serena.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Feb Fri 19, 2021 9:00 am

Graveller wrote:
Feb Fri 19, 2021 5:49 am
And what on earth has that statement to do with her supposedly always giving credit?
You are obviously one of those obsessed fans who need Serena to be Saint-Serena - perfect on every level; a bit pathetic imo.

If there is one thing that Justine and Serena have in common: both will never be in the top 100 of nice tennis players with lovely personality. You see: I have no problem whatsoever to aknowledge that a player that I really rooted for because of her game, was not a nice person off-court. So what, I wanted to watch and enjoy good tennis, not a Miss "I-Am-The-Nicest" contest.

And stop feeling so insecure: any tennis fan knows who the GOAT is : Serena. No question about that. But stop with the nonsense of her being nice, friendly, respectful all the time. If you want to use those words in combination with the name Williams, then I suggest that you refer to Venus. But please not Serena.
Well, thanks for this. Let's call it feedback or life coaching and move on.

In any event, in the zeitgeist of those times, Serena's remarks were more than complimentary. She said Juicy got lucky, and I believe she also called her a 'B', but all the girls then were calling each other 'B's. No shock. She also vowed to defeat her. In stark contrast, Juicy's fellow Belgians, including Van Roost, accused her of, well being juicy. These accusations were triggered by her 'miraculous' recovery overnight after a energy-sapping semi-final victory over Capriati and being treated with an IV, to flatten Kim in the final in straight sets. I'm obviously not a Juicy fan, though I appreciate her hard-scrabble rise to the top of tennis. I'm always touched by this.

Do I think she took 'roids? Yes, and I recall the moment I was convinced, and it was she who gave herself away, at least to me. Other athletes have done likewise, but it's not limited to sports. It was around 2000-2001, if memory serves, and I was listening to her interview on TV in Switzerland. She began complaining about her stature, her lack of strength and size relative to the other girls, and how 'unfair' it all was. My ears perked up. For me, that's a warning sign she had rationalized or was in the process of rationalizing cheating to 'even the unjust playing field.' For me, you don't have to agree for sure. Fairly shortly thereafter, she was stronger than most of the girls she had just recently complained about, battering some of them into submission match after match, tournament after tournament. Now, how does that happen in sports? PEDs, typically. This I believe is the suspect period of development some Belgians were pointing to in support of their view that she took drugs. It happened too quickly, at least in my view and theirs. A small, almost undetectable amount of 'roids has a greater 'positive' impact on a female than the same amount has on a male, which is why, according to sport officials in Eastern European, it was much easier to produce female champions than male. Throw in hard work and the recuperative benefits of female hormones and you have the recipe for success. You're not compelled to agree and might have countervailing arguments.

As a Chinese recently said, if you enter the starting gates and see that you're at a disadvantage, but you take no measures whether legal or otherwise to erase that deficit but you proceed to lose, you're a fool and have no one to blame but yourself. Perhaps she shares this view.

So, Serena dared to spend 2 minutes in response to specific questions, to process her raw emotions following yet another public failure and disappointment, and the potential end of her career without mentioning Osaka. Well, she deserves to be skewered within an inch of her existence, flayed, horse-drawn, tarred and feathered for that. How disrespectful, mean, self-indulgent and vile. Yet, it's ok for you to be emotionally overcome, distraught even if not paralyzed, over a 14 year old gaffe. Ok, not EXACTLY 14 years, but almost 14 years, give or take a few months, and not completely disabled but almost, I hasten to add for fear of triggering more feedback and life coaching. I'm convinced Naomi knows 100% what Serena thinks about her and does not need to hear it in post-match interviews they all hate. If this is any indication, Venus and Naomi follow each other on Instagram. Glean what you wish from that.

Anyway, unabashedly team WS all the way, wherever that goes. That's me, you do you.
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Feb Fri 19, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.