All Tennis, All the Time
sekasi
Accomplished
Accomplished
Re: Dubai.....Ladies

Post by sekasi » Feb Thu 20, 2020 11:07 am

Graveller wrote:
Feb Thu 20, 2020 9:49 am
Well, I'll stick with Rybakina in this event, and would like a F against either Halep/Sabalenka.

The cancellation of WTA-Debrecen was a blessing for her: two top10 wins already.

After this week, she is sheduled for Doha (I cannot see her having another deep run; at some point fatigue will set in), then two weeks of rest (on paper only one week, but the seeds in IW & Miami only start in R2 at the end of the first week)
Grav, congratulations to your girl Rybakina. Straight sets on Pliskova , good job.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Feb Thu 20, 2020 2:21 pm

sekasi wrote:
Feb Thu 20, 2020 11:07 am
Grav, congratulations to your girl Rybakina. Straight sets on Pliskova , good job.
Thanks 😀... I found the 2018-thread where I ‘discovered’ her in 2018... will bump it.

Most of that thread was about Kasatkina, but nevertheless found it worth to mention and discuss this unknown player shortly...

I’ve had my failures in expecting young players to break through (ATP-wise, I think Janowicz and Pouille, WTA it is Dodin that failed me completely), but with some I was spot-on with Bencic leading the pack. I still have a slight preference for Belinda and Kasatkina when they are at their best, but Rybakina may well turn out to be the most successful one. (Kasatkina will be my next Pavlyuchenkova... sometimes winning, but losing a lot too).
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Feb Fri 21, 2020 7:51 am

Rybakina looks like a power player to me. A bit slow, and her net game needs work, but heavy weight of shot. She should do well.

Martic is showing craft!!

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Feb Fri 21, 2020 8:17 am

Rybakina ended that first set strong!!

7-6 (5)!!

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Feb Fri 21, 2020 8:20 am

Yes... a good TB... what I like about her is that she is a power player (more than my typical faves), but she does not rely on it all the time.

And part of me want her to come more often to the net, but at least she tries :-)... Her final point in the TB was finished at the net, and she could have finished it at 6-3 in the TB too at the net, but that overhead was a bit too weak...
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Feb Fri 21, 2020 8:28 am

But it has to be said: Petra is playing well too, and it could have gone the other way around.

Petra breaks her early in set 2... that last shot from Rybakina looked like a shot of a tired player. If this goes to 3, I think it will be Martic who will be the player with more energy in the tank.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Feb Fri 21, 2020 8:32 am

TC switched to ATP Shapovalov :(

Ugh!!!

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Feb Fri 21, 2020 8:34 am

If Rybakina finds her second wind, she should come back strong again and take it in two!!

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Feb Fri 21, 2020 8:50 am

A net approach (and winner) gave her the BP, nd then the error from Petra on a good service return... and we are back on serve!

7-6 *3-4.

(still too many errors that you would not expect from her).

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Feb Fri 21, 2020 8:54 am

Great serves and 4-4 in the blink of an eye.