It's gonna be a nice YEC2019

All Tennis, All the Time
Post Reply New Topic
Graveller
Commish
Commish
Re: It's gonna be a nice YEC2019

Post by Graveller » Oct Tue 29, 2019 9:02 am

Technically, if Bencic wins today, and Kvitova and Bertens win their last match, Kiki even wins the group as she woulds be the only one with 2 wins...

But I expect Bencic to lose today... she won the first set, but set 2 is going horribly wrong....
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Oct Tue 29, 2019 10:14 am

This victory by Bencic is a very pleasant surprise :-)

So we have 4 players with one win: Osaka (out), Barty, Bencic, Bertens.
And if I am not mistaken, the two players who win on thursday will likely advance (Kvitova has to count on the set-scores: i think she needs a straight set win to be sure).

Bencic vs Bertens
Barty vs Kvitova
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Oct Tue 29, 2019 2:04 pm

BENCIC CREATES CHAOTIC WTA FINALS RED GROUP SCENARIO WITH KVITOVA WIN

With her three-set victory over the 2011 champion, the Swiss ensured all four players remain mathematically alive to qualify for the semifinals.

The Red Group donned its color in appropriate fashion on Tuesday at the Shiseido WTA Finals Shenzhen, as a pair of outcomes created a bloodbath heading into Thursday’s final round-robin matchups.

Last-minute alternate Kiki Bertens notched her first win over world No. 1 Ashleigh Barty, before Belinda Bencic toppled 2011 champion Petra Kvitova, 6-3, 1-6, 6-4, in one hour and 48 minutes. As a result, all four players remain in contention to qualify for the semifinals.

"For me personally, it's so difficult to play Petra," Bencic said in an on-court interview. "Her game is just really big. I didn't get much rhythm. I'm so happy at the end, I could keep my nerves calm."

Entering the match, Bencic’s health was a topic of discussion after she had her left heel taped during a three-set loss to Barty on Sunday. There were no indications of discomfort against Kvitova, who had won nine of 11 sets played in their five prior meetings—including a 6-3, 6-3 victory in Beijing just four weeks ago.

The Czech was nearly untouchable in her first three trips to the line, dropping just one point, but after missing out on a break point, a sloppy string of errors enabled Bencic to break for 4-3. The Swiss confidently redirected rallies, using Kvitova’s pace to her advantage. She broke at love to close out the set, courtesy of Kvitova’s fourth double fault.

When the left-hander misfired, her shots largely flew long. Kvitova cleaned up her ball-striking to win 19 of the first 25 points in the second set. Her controlled aggression clearly frustrated Bencic: the No. 7 seed committed twice as many unforced errors, 12, as Kvitova to quickly see her one-set lead evaporate.

Kvitova’s momentum took a hit in the third game of the decider, when a pair of double faults contributed to her loss of serve. This ignited a stretch of four successive breaks, as both players struggled to get out on front with the ball on their racquet.

The clash turned into a battle of intensity, and it was Bencic who had a bit more to give. The 22-year-old let out a huge roar after erasing a break point to hold for 4-4, and claimed the final three games to score her second win over Kvitova this year, adding to her Dubai final triumph.

On Thursday, Bencic will meet Bertens, and Kvitova will take on Barty.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Oct Wed 30, 2019 8:04 am

Bianca's body breaking down already?

Now a knee injury early in the match; can't serve properly, and movement looks hampered.
she should stop right here right now and start fixing her body for 2020. She is not gonna win this match, and if she loses today, she is out anyway.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Oct Wed 30, 2019 8:15 am

OCC: Bianca said: I cannot bend my knees, it frigging hurts,...
And did she then say: I can feel it crack when I move...

And then she continues... stupid, stupid girl... because - according to her own words - 'It is not against Halep"

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Oct Wed 30, 2019 8:23 am

The more I think about that Pliskova-comment, the more rude it becomes.

The girl can tennis like the best, but that knowledge makes that an ugly part of her personality surfaces...
Makes me start to root for Pliskova.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Oct Wed 30, 2019 8:33 am

Retired. Didn't want a 3rd straight loss.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Oct Wed 30, 2019 8:34 am

Was she not out for a large chunk of 2018 due to injury?

sekasi
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by sekasi » Oct Wed 30, 2019 8:44 am

Graveller wrote:
Oct Wed 30, 2019 8:23 am
The more I think about that Pliskova-comment, the more rude it becomes.

The girl can tennis like the best, but that knowledge makes that an ugly part of her personality surfaces...
Makes me start to root for Pliskova.
Grav, can you please clarify Pliskova's comment. I don't get it.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Oct Wed 30, 2019 8:54 am

It is easier playing Pliskova than Halep if you have a knee injury because rallies with Plsikova are much shorter than they are with Halep. No shade.