Tournaments this week

It's gonna be a nice YEC2019

All Tennis, All the Time
Graveller
Commish
Commish
Re: It's gonna be a nice YEC2019

Post by Graveller » Nov Fri 01, 2019 6:35 am

Strong ending from Svitolina in Set1: Kenin serving at 6-5* 0-40* (so 3 ponits for a TB), but Svitolina wins 5 points in a row and the set (with a bit of DF-help from Kenin).

Difficult match on what to do: she knows she has to play Bencic tomorrow (who only played one set and can rest today), but now she may be forced to play a 3-setter if Kenin puts up a fight...

If I had been Elina, I would have tactically 'tanked' this match.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Nov Fri 01, 2019 8:58 am

Svitolina moves on, no surprise or intrigue. The only spice is that her loverboy Monfils must beat Shapovalov today in Paris to qualify for London. I don't think he can overcome the pressure.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Nov Fri 01, 2019 10:02 am

I still remember how I was mocked when i picked Svitolina in my YE top 10 in 2013 or 2014 when she was well outside the top 50... she was supposedly to become a powerless, insignificant baseliner. Some think that she still is.

Svitolina is not excellent in anything, but simply good (or very good) in everything. As a result, most underestimate her and can't understand how she gets those results.

also watched Halep-Pliskova. Halep not at her best (she was way better against Andreescu). But Pliskova surprised me. For the first time, I was not totally bored by her game. This surface suits her. Will be interesting to see how she plays against Barty in the SF (the #1 vs #2).
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Nov Fri 01, 2019 10:08 am

Graveller wrote:
Nov Fri 01, 2019 10:02 am
I still remember how I was mocked when i picked Svitolina in my YE top 10 in 2013 or 2014 when she was well outside the top 50... she was supposedly to become a powerless, insignificant baseliner. Some think that she still is.

Svitolina is not excellent in anything, but simply good (or very good) in everything. As a result, most underestimate her and can't understand how she gets those results.

also watched Halep-Pliskova. Halep not at her best (she was way better against Andreescu). But Pliskova surprised me. For the first time, I was not totally bored by her game. This surface suits her. Will be interesting to see how she plays against Barty in the SF (the #1 vs #2).
She's fit for purpose but sadly, bad for business.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Nov Fri 01, 2019 11:15 am

The Guardian: ..., Darren Cahill just came on the court and called Halep’s behaviour over the past few games a “disgrace”. The commentators are in shock.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Nov Fri 01, 2019 12:44 pm

Graveller wrote:
I just don't get her game. I see nothing to be excited about. She could well fit in ITF, empty corn field tennis matches. I Just don't get it. I think she is one of the most boring players; but she is doing excellent with what she's got; so all the merry to her.
The exciting players like Kuzmova are not winning anything; so ... what can we say?

This reinforces my theory that good pushers move up quickly in the ranking while it's hard for power players to leave the bottom sections. Power players have the annoying habits of beating themselves most of the time.... They can't do an Anisimova and quickly get out of the jungle.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Nov Fri 01, 2019 1:13 pm

Ace2Ace wrote:
Nov Fri 01, 2019 12:44 pm
Graveller wrote:
I just don't get her game. I see nothing to be excited about. She could well fit in ITF, empty corn field tennis matches. I Just don't get it. I think she is one of the most boring players; but she is doing excellent with what she's got; so all the merry to her.
The exciting players like Kuzmova are not winning anything; so ... what can we say?

This reinforces my theory that good pushers move up quickly in the ranking while it's hard for power players to leave the bottom sections. Power players have the annoying habits of beating themselves most of the time.... They can't do an Anisimova and quickly get out of the jungle.
Moi non plus.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Nov Fri 01, 2019 1:23 pm

Just for giggles. Mean?

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Nov Fri 01, 2019 1:27 pm

Ace2Ace wrote:
Nov Fri 01, 2019 12:44 pm

That is because power is not a talent: it is something that you can achieve in the gym.
Everyone can hit a ball hard to the left or the right (or the middle). Having power does not make you into a consistent, talented top players.

Apart from Serena, who are the power players of the last decade who managed to do well, play consistent, stay healthy and remain in the top8 for several years?
I can only think of Pliskova... and her game is boring to me.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Nov Fri 01, 2019 1:41 pm

I think it takes special talent to be a power player.
Anybody can bash the balls, indeed. But power players are not ball bashers. It takes proper calibration, accuracy, control and focus to hit the ball hard, sometimes on the run, while keeping it in play and the opponent glued to the ground because the ball passes her because she can move.

It doesn't take much to be a pusher. Every kids starts tennis as a pusher. Then as they get smarter, they add more "skills". But some take "pushing" to the max and bore us to death. :) :) They never grow out of it. Luckily for them, it wins matches they should normally lose.