Tournaments this week

Linz Qualies

All Tennis, All the Time
rex
Commish
Commish
Re: Linz Qualies

Post by rex » Oct Mon 07, 2019 9:36 am

Were you watching the match somehow or was it a report from someone who was there? Yet, I agree with you if that is the case. In addition, something else looms here for she's just 15 and it was just calls in "qualies". Overreacting to a call, weeping over this and having an extended conversation with the supervisor over a call shouldn't have happened, but could be a result of all the publicity she's gotten after Wimby/USO and having expectations to succeed "immediately". Playing ere packed houses at the USO, being pimped out for a sold-out exho at a men's event, meeting celebs, signing endorsement deals, signing autographs as a kid herself, then having "expectations" to succeed from such, resulting in an emotional temperament that shouldn't be at her age. Her parents are going to have to talk to their daughter about the pressure of such demands to succeed when things don't go her way, so that they can assuage such.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Oct Mon 07, 2019 10:47 am

I watched from 4-4 in the first set. She was complaining a LOT. Almost every call. Some of the calls were indeed questionable but she wouldn't let go.
Even the ones she decided to 'ignore', she was still gesturing and complaining and wiping her tears. Sometimes she would stop playing and complain why the call was not made. It was too much. When her opponent won that tiebreak, the crowd booed the Russian. They were 'all' for Cori, edging her on. She had lots of support.
She had set point against her in that TB at least 3 times... and each time Samsonova let her off the hook with some stupid errors.
Finally Cori got a set point, then she hit a DF for 8-8 or 9-9 ..( can't remember). She was Dfaulting a lot.

Her coach came over after that first set. She was still wiping her teary eyes. The mic was not on so we couldn't hear what he said. But she was a bit composed after that. Girl has a lot of growing to do.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Oct Mon 07, 2019 12:22 pm

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, Ace, had to step away.

My first question is how were you able to watch the match, for I was looking for a stream and couldn't find one from the one Russian stream available.

Regarding her outbursts and weeping, imo, it stems from all the success she had at Wimby and the USO, playing on Ashe ere 22k, then the attention she got from celebs, the selfies and autographs from admirers, where she now feels she must win "now" in order to justify the attention. As stated earlier, her parents are going to have to step in and tell her there is no demand that she must win and that she's not a failure if she loses or call(s) don't go her way. That's self-imposed stress and she's too young to have that burden while she's just a freshman-equivalent in high school. She's still in growth mode for the next 3 years at a minimum on the Tour ere she goes full-time and 6 years ere she becomes a young adult.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Oct Mon 07, 2019 12:56 pm

rex wrote:
Oct Mon 07, 2019 12:22 pm
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, Ace, had to step away.

My first question is how were you able to watch the match, for I was looking for a stream and couldn't find one from the one Russian stream available.
Saw the match on the Scoreboard. Then checked the Russian stream. The player names were in Russian, not English. I am getting used to this. (not giving up easily ... :) .. ESPN is doing its best to hide the matches).
So I started clicking on each match link. The scores show the names in English. If it's not the match I am looking for, I click on the next Russian link. lol lol lol.
Luckily one of them was the Samsonova vs Gauff: 1st set: 4-4
Hope at some points she stops crying when she gets bad calls.... arguing endlessly. It felt annoying. But somehow the crowd was in her corner. Other players get booed doing that.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Oct Mon 07, 2019 3:10 pm

Interesting.....I'll have to do the same when a stream is not available. There are some NBA preseason games I want to watch and I was using their stream to catch a game or two..... :)

Re Cori, I have yet to see her react the way you described her match with Samsonova. We'll see if this carries forward when she plays Luxembourg qualies....

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Oct Tue 08, 2019 6:28 am

Cori is playing Voegele now and up 4-0. Did she get in as a LL??

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Oct Tue 08, 2019 6:40 am

Sakkari withdrew.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Oct Tue 08, 2019 6:44 am

So Maria the 'tennis model' withdrew?

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Oct Tue 08, 2019 8:56 am

djmm1962 wrote:
Oct Tue 08, 2019 6:28 am
Cori is playing Voegele now and up 4-0. Did she get in as a LL??
Woke up to this and apparently she took Sakkari's spot who withdrew...

Subsequently, she has dismissed Voegele in 2 and gets Kozlova next.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Oct Tue 08, 2019 9:09 am

Coco Power. Paid Sakkari $5 to withdraw. lol lol lol