Tournaments this week

Bronx.....

All Tennis, All the Time
rex
Commish
Commish
Bronx.....

Post by rex » Aug Sat 17, 2019 12:26 pm

Just noticed that the Bronx qualies are on the Russian stream "with sound". I hope it bodes well for the USO qualies next week, for I'm looking forward to watching some of those matches of girls I want to see (Lottner, Duval, Aiava, Rybakina, Kostyuk, but she has withdrawn).

In addition, re the Bronx, the quality of this draw ere the tourney began was more than decent. Yet, that quality quickly dissipated when Petra K, who asked for a WC, got it, then withdrew, Konta, Yastremska, Navarro (tho' she withdrew due to a back problem) and Sakkari withdrew, as well. From the pictures of the event court looks nice, plus the surrounding grounds has trees in a park-like setting (Petra loves that environment). However, maybe others withdrew because the appearance didn't keep up with the actual experience.
:-?

https://i.imgur.com/josgI3Jr.jpg

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bronx.....

Post by Ace2Ace » Aug Sat 17, 2019 12:42 pm

Osuigwe vs Di Lorenzo .. These girls are smacking each other off the court from 100 miles behind the baseline. :) I can't tell which one is better at it. They play the same hard hitting long balls from afar.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Aug Mon 19, 2019 3:36 pm

Attendance here is poor.....

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Aug Mon 19, 2019 4:06 pm

To be expected... and don’t feel sorry; they never should have killed of New Haven...
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Aug Mon 19, 2019 4:11 pm

If you look at the HOF for new haven, all those top10 players should feel embarrased for skipping Bronx... the list ow winners is impressive: Graf, Venus 4 times, Davenport a few times, Henin, Capriati,... they were not afraid to play a week prior to a slam...and do well too...
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Aug Mon 19, 2019 5:09 pm

Graveller wrote:
Aug Mon 19, 2019 4:06 pm
To be expected... and don’t feel sorry; they never should have killed of New Haven...
Agreed, Grav', New Haven was my favorite stateside tourney, their main court the best here in the States, imo. Disappointing that they couldn't get the attendees in New Haven, but it was only a 2 hr. and 16 min. drive from New York for a densely populated area that lies between the two cities. I vainly hoped that the WTA would just give Cincy to the ATP and make New Haven a Prem. 5, but that was clearly just wishful thinking for the population in New Haven couldn't justify the prize money. Yet, over the years they've had very good participation by players and good matches for such an event, leading into the USO. However, the tourney with mediocre attendance for a premier event continued to lose money and it's understandable why it folded after some 20 odd years. Sad.....

However, I, for one, had better expectations attendance-wise for the Bronx, for this event is located right next to Manhattan, a viable business district (Wall Street), Yankee Stadium is in close approximation to such, a regentrifying Harlem, and is located across the East River from Flushing Meadows, the home of the USO. From appearances a "prime" location in the heart of NYC, and per photos, the courts and facilities look nice. For this location it's not looking good for this event to see practically no spectators in the same city where a Slam is taking place the following week.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Aug Tue 20, 2019 6:26 am

I miss New Haven too :( Loved it there!!

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Tue 20, 2019 8:20 am

The stands are so empty. How are they finding money to pay these players and out on this event?

Zalvar
Regular
Regular

Post by Zalvar » Aug Wed 21, 2019 10:39 am

Didn't really know this tournament was happening until this week- was still expecting new haven. That might be part of it ... no advertisement. Also there's a new haven challenger so I guess it was downgraded.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Aug Wed 21, 2019 8:50 pm

There should only be ITF event the week before a slam. WTA players should take a break, getting ready for the main show.